April 25, 2024
St. Mark
God Cares for Us
So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God…. Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:6-7

I was reading this Scripture just as we were warned that a hurricane was coming our way. Humbling ourselves means facing the truth of our own limitations, that we are not in control. This invitation is to cast all our worries on God not just because God is all powerful but because “he cares for you.” That God cares for us, is with us with great personal love in all our anxieties, has throughout my life, again and again, helped to calm the great storms of escalating fears inside me.

We had no great damage from that hurricane. Yet even if we had, (for in the past, sometimes what I feared did happen), being assured that God’s care was with me was a blessing beyond words.

- Patricia Livingston

1 Peter 5:5b-14 • Psalm 89:2-3, 6-7, 16-17 • Mark 16:15-20

Comments

April 26, 2024 at 10:32 AM

Good Morning Dearhearts! Woke up praying for this sweet Living Faith Family. So many with fears, anxiety, loss and sadness, and those with hopes and journeys. Just please, God Bless Us ALL And ALL Who We Love. Prayers Up!

April 26, 2024 at 12:51 AM

Pat, this devotional really hit me between the eyes. I have a dear friend who is very emotional and really struggles at times to make progress with tasks that I find fairly easy to do. Sometimes I feel that my empathy meter is bouncing around near zero and I know that I can do better. Lord, help me to be a better person and friend to her. I had my annual cardiologist appointment this week. Additional tests coming up. Not going to let anxiety get the better of me, I will trust in the Lord to take me through this challenge. Peace and good to all the LFF. May God bless you and keep you through whatever you’re going through.

April 25, 2024 at 10:42 PM

Prayer request for health and wellbeing of John and Libby

April 25, 2024 at 11:47 AM

All I can say is... thank you Pat for today's message! It has reminded me that God cares!!!! (and I needed that, especially today)

April 25, 2024 at 10:44 AM

1 Peter 5:6-7, "So make yourselves humble. Put yourselves under God’s mighty hand. Then He will honor you at the right time. Turn all your worries over to Him. He cares about you!" This is the recipe for addressing anxiety: Humble yourself under God, He will honor you when you turn your worries over to Him because He cares for you!!! ******* Or follow the 12 steps (https://www.celebraterecovery.com/resources/12-steps): 1. We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable. (I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18 NIV) 2. We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. (For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. Philippians 2:13 NIV) 3. We made a decision to turn our lives and our wills over to the care of God. (Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1 NIV) 4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. (Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord. Lamentations 3:40 NIV) 5. We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. (Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. James 5:16a NIV) 6. We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. (Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10 NIV) 7. We humbly asked Him to remove all our shortcomings. (If we confess our sins, He is faithful and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 NIV) 8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all. (Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31 NIV) 9. We made direct amends to such people whenever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. (Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. Matthew 5:23-24 NIV) 10. We continue to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it. (So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 1 Corinthians 10:12) 11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us, and power to carry that out. (Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Colossians 3:16a NIV) 12. Having had a spiritual experience as the result of these steps, we try to carry this message to others and practice these principles in all our affairs. (Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore them gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Galatians 6:1 NIV)

April 25, 2024 at 10:23 AM

Yes Patricia, you made the light come on for me in your words..."Let us pray today for people who are experiencing great anxieties, that they may have some indication of God’s caring presence with them." It could be that I just might be that presence to someone. I pray that the peace that I wake up with each day will be felt by all who I encounter today...especially my new Dentist!

April 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Loved, "Yet even if we had!" *** Reminds me of the faith in God the three friends of Daniel in Daniel 3:16-18, "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him. They said, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we don’t need to talk about this anymore. We might be thrown into the blazing furnace. But the God we serve is able to bring us out of it alive. He will save us from your power. But we want you to know this, Your Majesty. Even if we knew that our God wouldn’t save us, we still wouldn’t serve your gods. We wouldn’t worship the gold statue you set up.” *** Reminds me of God didn't answer Jesus' prayer in Luke 22:41-42a, "Then He (Jesus) went a short distance away from them (the disciples). There He got down on His knees and prayed. He said, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup of suffering away from Me!" *** Reminds me of God's sovereignty over all of my anxiety in Isaiah 55:8-9, "My thoughts are not like your thoughts. And your ways are not like My ways,” announces the Lord. “The heavens are higher than the earth. And My ways are higher than your ways. My thoughts are higher than your thoughts!" ******* Anxiety is based on my thoughts and my abilities...asking me to not be anxious is like asking me not to breathe!!! BUT GOD!!! *** The only way to get rid of my anxiety is to fill my thoughts and abilities with God Himself...His Word, His works, His ways, His wisdom, etc! Not my words, not my works, not my ways nor my wisdom - these cause me anxiety!!! *** When I fill my thoughts with God Himself, my faith grows in Hebrews 11:1-3, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for. It is being sure of what we do not see. That is what the people of long ago were praised for. We have faith. So we understand that everything was made when God commanded it. That’s why we believe that what we see was not made out of what could be seen!" *** It looks like this in Romans 5:1-5, "We have been made right with God because of our faith. Now we have peace with Him because of our Lord Jesus Christ. Through faith in Jesus we have received God’s grace. In that grace we stand. We are full of joy because we expect to share in God’s glory. And that’s not all. We are full of joy even when we suffer. We know that our suffering gives us the strength to go on. The strength to go on produces character. Character produces hope. And hope will never bring us shame. That’s because God’s love has been poured into our hearts. This happened through the Holy Spirit, Who has been given to us!" ******* I counter my anxiety with Scripture...Psalm 46:10a, "He says, “Be still, and know that I AM God!" Psalm is a great place to go when you are anxious....... these psalms (crying out to God and ending with the hope in God alone :-) bring me from my self-focus situations to the God-focus of His promise and soveriegnty! https://youtu.be/j9phNEaPrv8?si=9Urj4uMDIpAJc20y *** PS...when I don't want to think or read, I listen to Christian music loudly in my car or at my home: K-LOVE radio or The Message on XM!

April 25, 2024 at 09:46 AM

"Every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray." St. Padre Pio (anxiety & loneliness often come together) Peace in Christ: "Let nothing disturb you, nothing frighten you; all things are passing; God never changes." St. Teresa of Avila

April 25, 2024 at 09:43 AM

Yes Patricia, so much anxiety and worrying these days. I pray that those experiencing these problems can turn them over to God and feel Him walking beside you.....leading the way. Continued prayers to all LF family.

April 25, 2024 at 09:28 AM

Amen! :)

Rosa P.
April 26, 2024 at 03:11 AM

Thank God for your smiles for every morning. AMEN!

April 25, 2024 at 09:23 AM

April 25, 2024 at 08:53 AM

Please help me dear Lord in my request for health issues as I have my PET scan on Friday! May you give me the strength to endure the outcome I love you, please give me your gentle hand as I move forward. Amen

peggyR
April 25, 2024 at 10:23 AM

Sending prayers of strength and comfort to you today, Bev. May Our Lord place His strong hand on you as you move forward with your scan.

Pam
April 25, 2024 at 10:13 AM

Bev...I know your fear. I've had one PET scan but MANY more, other scans. With each one I hold my breath and plead for calm and peace to get me through. And just like Patricia said in her Reflection, there were times that her fears did happen, but she was assured by God's care. I know that too. I've been on the road you're walking right now...and I'm still walking, a couple decades down that road too! I've got you tucked tight in my prayers ~ if God brings you to it, He will see you through it!

April 25, 2024 at 08:43 AM

Please pray for my 7 year old grandson who is being bullied at school. Please also pray for all those who are bullied as well as for those who bully others.

Debbie
April 25, 2024 at 11:30 PM

The question marks were supposed to be praying hands.

Debbie
April 25, 2024 at 11:28 PM

Prayers for your grandson, Elizabeth. ????????????

April 25, 2024 at 11:08 AM

So sorry for your grandson, Elizabeth! *** Praise God for what you have asked: praying for both the bullied and the bully ✝️ HURT people HURT people!!! Where does a child learn to bully? *** Listen to your grandson, "I hear you! I am so sorry you are being treated like that! Let's pray to God to help this bully to know God and feel better about himself and treat others better! Some icecream?" *** This is the ending to the result of Joseph being bullied by his brothers in Genesis 50:19-21, "But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Do you think I’m God? You planned to harm me. But God planned it for good. He planned to do what is now being done. He wanted to save many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I’ll provide for you and your children.” He calmed their fears. And he spoke in a kind way to them!"

peggyR
April 25, 2024 at 10:54 AM

My heart just breaks for your little grandson, Elizabeth. I will pray for him and the others who do the bullying. Hoping school officials will nip this situation immediately. Lord be with him and you too, Beloved Grandma.

Pam
April 25, 2024 at 10:16 AM

Elizabeth...how heart breaking to hear that a mere child can be bullied at school ~ at what should be a safe place. Sending prayers.

SandyK
April 25, 2024 at 09:37 AM

Elizabeth, I too, have a 7 year old grandson and the thoughts of him being bullied would break my heart. My prayers are with you.

Faith
April 25, 2024 at 09:27 AM

It’s so heart wrenching to have any of our precious grandchildren be the target of unkindness. Praying for your little guy that this bullying will come to an end.

Frank
April 25, 2024 at 09:25 AM

Elizabeth, praying for your grandson, may God give him strength and peace.

April 25, 2024 at 08:27 AM

Patricia your words fit the times in this world today. It has changed so much, but I guess every older generation says that about the new generations growing up eh? There was a time when I took each day in stride but I fear that with age and experiencing additional personal limitations in my life kinda unnerves a person. Thank you for reminding me to know that God is there and with us. I need to remember to mentally put myself into his hands and let him guide me more easily. Blessings to all the LFF. Jane, your words each day are a strong hold to me thank you. Special prayers for all with anxieties and for all to see the hope and love of God in their lives each day.

April 25, 2024 at 07:34 AM

Thank you Patricia. With so many kids (and adults) who speak openly about anxiety today, your message is needed and heard. I remember having one of the scouts in my troop saying to me, “Oh that gives me so much anxiety.” It struck me as odd b/c while I remembered feeling worried or embarrassed during my teen years, I don’t remember ever saying something gave me anxiety or probably even articulating that word as something I was dealing with. Also, my mom probably would have said, “Awwww, rub some dirt on it, you’ll be fine.” And then follow it with, “Anxiety, I”ll show you anxiety….” LOL. Different times. I have always been a fairly positive person with enough self-confidence to pull me through what I was dealing with. I am sending that to those who feel so much anxiety, to let them know that God is with us and will be with us. He will send us light for the path. We just need to do the next right thing. Amen. p.s. Stormy and anyone else I forgot to name in lifting the LFF family yesterday….I am lifting you today into God’s light. Amen.

April 25, 2024 at 07:25 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those experiencing natural disasters, Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

Sandy
April 25, 2024 at 08:08 AM

Jane, you are so right! Always wondering about this generation of “Oh I’m so triggered!!” I was not brought up like that! Trust in the Lord instead of worrying about your ability to cope!!

April 25, 2024 at 06:48 AM

Pat I just knew I needed to hear your devotional today and Jesus delivered. Thank you for always speaking to me through your words. I have friends who suddenly lost their son Sunday night and I have been searching for comforting words to say to them . I know you probably don’t remember me but I had you speak at our Convention in Orange Beach, Al several Octobers back and you always know just what to say. Thank you and may we all be safe this hurricane season!

April 25, 2024 at 06:36 AM

Prayers for my sister experiencing much anxiety ????????

Stormy
April 25, 2024 at 08:15 AM

Charlotte, prayers for your sister, it can be hard going through tough times.

Cheryl
April 25, 2024 at 06:50 AM

Charlotte, I pray that your sister finds peace and her anxieties are calmed... my second son is due to start therapy soon for his anxiety...I do believe in the mighty power of prayer and our Lord cares and loves us to infinity

Butterfly on flower. Photo by Eric | stock.adobe.com