April 1, 2024
The Octave of Easter
Behold
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went away quickly from the tomb…and ran to announce the news…. And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them.
Matthew 28:8-9

Sometimes, we may zoom through our Bible reading. One of the joys of Living Faith is the invitation to stop zooming and, rather, zoom in on specific verses from the readings and—like Mary—ponder them (Luke 2:19). We have such a moment today to slow down in this Easter Octave. Let’s stop running, pause and zoom in, taking in the glories of this holy season.

“Behold” is Matthew’s signal word that something mighty is happening. (Even more amazing than the angel and the empty tomb!) Jesus, the Risen Christ—whom the women saw die in crucifixion—steps out into their path as they are racing, running, to share the news! Imagine Jesus stepping into the moment. Last time they saw him, he was dead. Now he is perfectly alive—ALIVE! Can they take that in? Can we?

Risen Lord, Jesus, help me see you as you meet and greet me on the way, today.

- Pat Gohn

Acts 2:14, 22-33 • Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11 • Matthew 28:8-15

Comments

April 2, 2024 at 07:03 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Baltimore with the Bridge collapse, Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

April 1, 2024 at 03:52 PM

Today's reading in Acts has taken me from Jesus' resurrection to the coming of the Holy Spirit! It was 40 days after Jesus' ressurrection, He ascended into heaven and another 10 days before the coming of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost - 50 days) in today's reading in Acts! *** 40 days for Lent and now the next 50 days for Pentecost! How do I perpare myself for the coming of the Holy Spirit, God Himself? *** Love the BibleProject, "What Happened at Pentecost and Why It's Important" https://youtu.be/JQhkWmFJKnA?si=wRcEa-Jy4jr-Aiu2 *** Once again, God tells me that His plan is of long ago (whatever is happening, good, bad or ugly, in your life and around the world is in God's plan - He is in control especially when I feel I am not in control and the world is out of control :-) in Peter's speech at the Pentecost in Acts 2:23-24, "Long ago God planned that Jesus would be handed over to you. With the help of evil people, you put Jesus to death. You nailed Him to the cross. But God raised Him from the dead. He set Him free from the suffering of death. It wasn’t possible for death to keep its hold on Jesus!" ******* Peter referred to king David's prophecy of Jesus fulfilled in Acts 2:25-28 (Psalm 16:8-11) and Acts 2:34-35 (Psalm 110:1)! Here is what happened at Pentecost and Peter told the people what to do to receive the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:36-41, "So be sure of this, all you people of Israel. You nailed Jesus to the cross. But God has made Him both Lord and Messiah (Savior)” When the people heard this, it had a deep effect on them. They said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what should we do?” Peter replied, “All of you must turn away from your sins and be baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ. Then your sins will be forgiven. You will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children. It is also for all who are far away (future). It is for all whom the Lord our God will choose.” Peter said many other things to warn them. He begged them, “Save yourselves from these evil people.” Those who accepted his message were baptized. About 3,000 people joined the believers that day!" *** Praying for the Pentecost to be everyday events all over the world ✝️

April 1, 2024 at 12:17 PM

Happy Easter Living Faith Family! We are anxiously awaiting the birth of our first "Great Grandchild" due any day now. Praying for a safe delivery during this Easter Octave. God Bless us, Everyone!

April 1, 2024 at 10:08 AM

Amen :)

April 1, 2024 at 09:53 AM

Thank you Pat for the little reminder to “ponder” and slow down a bit, especially in this most Holy Season. Today I will sit back and ponder just what happened and relish the fact that we are so very loved by Our Lord Jesus that He would die for us and all the people of the world over time. Alleluia, God is with us!

April 1, 2024 at 09:40 AM

AMEN!

Teresa Bennett Respond to comment
April 1, 2024 at 09:35 AM

Living Faith has been a source of daily inspiration for me for the pas 30 years. My family has a bulk subscription. Although I appreciate the attempts to keep it fresh, I notice the print of the reflection is smaller and this has made it more difficult to read. I know the large print is available, but I prefer the pocket size so I can carry it around in my purse. Just a little feedback, the title can be smaller in order to increase the size of the print in the reflection. The previous font size was much more comfortable to read without straining my eyes. Please consider a return to the previous font size.

Diane
April 1, 2024 at 10:31 AM

Agreed! I also have a bulk subscription and share the extra copies with a local nursing home. I also order children’s format. I really wish the pocket size were just like the children’s- 4 x 6 is still small but the pages are a bit larger and they glossy feel is much nicer!

April 1, 2024 at 09:30 AM

Thank you Pat. The "signal" word that struck me in your reflection was "slow down". When I'm having a busy day, I would rather choose a another time during the day, and not feeling rushed, to read my Living Faith. I prefer the mornings, but find the message doesn't stay with me throughout the day when I'm hurried. We can learn so much more when we ponder and zoom in on our daily word. Continued uplifting prayers to all. Sandy

April 1, 2024 at 09:25 AM

Happy Easter to all. I hope everyone had a great day yesterday and the love of Easter remains with us throughout the year. Blessings LFF. Prayers for all with extra needs these days and may we spread the love of God through all the world.

Stormy
April 1, 2024 at 09:43 AM

P.S. If you haven't heard this song it's GREAT. This gentleman wrote it and I believe Dolly Pardon also sings it. Don Francisco "He's Alive" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lmv_xR6_q8

April 1, 2024 at 08:07 AM

Amen. :)

Jacques Henri Bien Aime Respond to comment
April 1, 2024 at 08:02 AM

They not deliver my regular daily Gospel reading So I need to come here everyday for trading until I receive the book. So I will depend on Livingfaith.com to continue with Motning and Evening Prayer Online Thank you Happy Easter and Good Morning. Jacques Henri Bien Aime

RIA
April 1, 2024 at 09:46 PM

I, too, started coming to this website for the daily reflections when my new booklet accidentally wound up in the paper recycling bin a few years ago. I've been coming here every day since then, even though I now carefully put the new booklet aside when it arrives. Sometime I wonder just how "accidental" it was that that long--ago booklet got lost. God works in mysterious ways! :-) Welcome to the Living Faith Family, Jacques Henri "Good Friend". Keep coming back here every day to be one of us, even if you do get your booklet. Have a blessed Easter Season, everyone. Love, Ria.

April 1, 2024 at 09:23 AM

Jacques even when you get your daily readings delivered this is a great place to go to. Great people for support!

April 1, 2024 at 05:48 AM

Was Mary, the mother of Jesus present at the resurrection?

April 1, 2024 at 10:31 AM

No, Mary mother of Jesus, was not at the resurrection (empty tomb)! She was at the crucifixion! *** Matthew 28:1, "The Sabbath day was now over. It was dawn on the first day of the week. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb." *** Mark 16:1-3, "The Sabbath day ended. Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices. They were going to use them for Jesus’ body. Very early on the first day of the week, they were on their way to the tomb. It was just after sunrise. They asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance to the tomb?” *** Luke 24:9-10, "They came back from the tomb. They told all these things to the 11 apostles and to all the others. Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them were the ones who told the apostles." *** John 20:1, "Early on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb. It was still dark. She saw that the stone had been moved away from the entrance." ******* Here were the women mentioned in the four Gospels by name at the empty tomb: Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James and Salome!

April 1, 2024 at 02:12 AM

A very happy and holy Easter, everyone. This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad. Had a pleasant day with the extended family on Sunday. Started off with a stirring service at the cathedral with the Archbishop presiding. Sending prayers to all who are celebrating a birthday/anniversary this April. And remembering 'a sinnner' with...Amen! Thank you, Holy Father, for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you, Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Bonnie L
April 1, 2024 at 09:42 AM

Yes “A Sinner” is missed. Thank u Bill L

Stormy
April 1, 2024 at 09:20 AM

Thank you Bill L. For remembering "a sinner" I have these prayers of his in my daily list. " a sinner is missed.

Empty tomb of Jesus with crosses in the background. Easter or Resurrection concept. Photo by Photo Granary | stock.adobe.com