March 30, 2024
Holy Saturday (Easter Vigil)
The Vigil
The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone.
Psalm 118:22

When we come to Holy Saturday, Jesus is hidden, his body in the tomb. A giant stone seals it. But not for long.

Liturgically we await the Vigil and those first sparks of the Easter fire shattering the darkness. Tonight at Mass, numerous readings will recount the Lord’s enduring covenant of love between himself and his people. Lovers of God and of sacred Scripture will revel in the Vigil’s extended Liturgy of the Word—a biblical feast unpacking God’s movement in salvation history, and “...it is wonderful in our eyes” (Psalm 118:23).

In Christ Jesus, every covenant that preceded his coming is fulfilled, and through him, we encounter the depth of God’s sacrificial love for us. The Mass reaches its height in the consecration of the bread and wine offered. And we are the grateful recipients of the New Covenant, the everlasting one sealed by Christ’s blood.

Loving God, thank you for your Word and Sacraments!

- Pat Gohn

Genesis 1:1—2:2 • Exodus 14:15—15:1 • Exodus 15:1-6, 17-18 • Romans 6:3-11 • Psalm 118:1-2, 16-17, 22-23 • Mark 16:1-7

Comments

March 30, 2024 at 04:08 PM

March 30, 2024 at 11:23 AM

Good morning LFF, holding up my dear friend Elle who has been journeying towards tonight’s Easter Vigil through the RCIA program. She’s a bit nervous but I have told her to just pray to the Holy Spirit. May she and all the new catechumens and candidates revel in God’s love for them on this wonderful journey into full communion with the Holy Catholic Church

Bill L.
March 30, 2024 at 03:36 PM

Praying for Elle and the 20+ at our church this evening, Bill.

peggyR
March 30, 2024 at 01:52 PM

Warm Blessings to your friend Ellen, Bill. May the joy of this Holiest evening be the beginning of a joyous life in Our Lord Jesus Christ for her!

jane
March 30, 2024 at 01:21 PM

Sending light to Ellen as she experiences the Alpha and Omega! Welcoming Ellen to the flock! Amen.

March 30, 2024 at 10:48 AM

I love the Old Testament Scripture especaiily the book of Isaiah (The Gospel of the Old Testament) ❤️ *** God is God and I am not! His Word will do His work in my life according to Isaiah 55:8-11, "“My thoughts are not like your thoughts. And your ways are not like My ways,” announces the Lord. “The heavens are higher than the earth. And My ways are higher than your ways. My thoughts are higher than your thoughts. The rain and the snow come down from the sky. They do not return to it without watering the earth. They make plants come up and grow. The plants produce seeds for farmers. They also produce food for people to eat. The Words (Scripture) I speak are like that. They will not return to Me without producing results. They will accomplish what I want them to. They will do exactly what I sent them to do!" *** God is good and I am not!!! In Genesis 1:1-31, five times during the 7-day creation of the earth God said, "And God saw that it was good!" And on the sixth day, God said, "And it was very good!" *** Redemption is at hand for me also and my God is the great I AM Who rules ALL and sets me free according to Isaiah 54:4-8, "Do not be afraid. You will not be put to shame anymore. Do not be afraid of being dishonored. People will no longer make fun of you. You will forget the time when you suffered as slaves in Egypt. You will no longer remember the shame of being a widow in Babylon. I made you. I AM now your husband. My Name is the Lord Who Rules Over All. I AM the Holy One of Israel. I have set you free. I AM the God of the whole earth. You were like a wife who was deserted. And her heart was broken. You were like a wife who married young. And her husband sent her away. But now I AM calling you to come back,” says your God. “For a brief moment I left you. But because I love you so much, I will bring you back. For a moment I turned my face away from you. I was very angry with you. But I will show you My loving concern. My faithful love will continue forever,” says the Lord. He is the Nne who set you free!" ******* Come to Jesus and I will live according to Isaiah 55:1-3, 6-7, "Come, all you who are thirsty. Come and drink the water I offer to you. You who do not have any money, come. Buy and eat the grain I give you. Come and buy wine and milk. You will not have to pay anything for it. Why spend money on what is not food? Why work for what does not satisfy you? Listen carefully to Me. Then you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the richest food there is. Listen and come to Me. Pay attention to Me. Then you will live. I will make a covenant with you that will last forever. I will give you my faithful love.......Turn to the Lord before it’s too late. Call out to Him while He’s still ready to help you. Let those who are evil stop doing evil things. And let them quit thinking evil thoughts. Let them turn to the Lord. The Lord will show them His tender love. Let them turn to our God. He is always ready to forgive!"

March 30, 2024 at 10:57 AM

In Christ Alone https://youtu.be/8welVgKX8Qo?si=LStyVeZop31rzsop

March 30, 2024 at 10:14 AM

Thank you Pat. Still contemplating the mysteries of Christ’s journey from yesterday to Sunday. Thinking about his death and descent into Hell. I read in my Hobo Journal something to contemplate. Because Jesus so loved us did he fill up Hell with all of his body? Did God love the world and all of us sinners to such a degree as to will our redemption by the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus? Many mysteries to ponder. Lifting Cathy and family today. Ken, thank you for posting the many beautiful prayers yesterday. Amen.

March 30, 2024 at 10:07 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Baltimore with the Bridge collapse, Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

peggyR
March 30, 2024 at 02:12 PM

Thank you for sharing the mysteriously beautiful reflection about the Divine Plan of the Great I AM, Jane. Do we ever really know the extent of His Love and Mercy for all of Humanity? Thank you Lord Jesus for giving your life and complete surrender so that we could all rest in the home Your Father has planned for us. Amen.

March 30, 2024 at 10:05 AM

Pat thank you for your words of reflection for his is now hidden but ill soon be revealed. how exciting is that? Blessings to all the LFF, especially those needing extra prayers and guidance these days. May we share Gods love to all the world. HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
March 30, 2024 at 08:30 AM

A blessed morning to you,and all Living Faith Family. I would be praying for your sister-inlaw. Karhy.Please remember that God is in charge, and that He is the burden bearer.,Cast all your anxieties and trust Him. ???? ???? ????

March 30, 2024 at 07:54 AM

A Blessed Holy Saturday to the LFF Asking for prayers for my sister in law Cathy who is in the hospital in the ICU with an infection in her leg.She had one surgery to clean out the infection and is scheduled for another on Monday. She is on a ventilator bur she is being weaned off She is also a diabetics. Please also peay for my Mother in law during this stressful time and all of my husbands family.

Bill L.
March 30, 2024 at 03:34 PM

Praying for Cathy and strength for you and your family, Joann.

Pam
March 30, 2024 at 11:03 AM

JoAnn, yes you have my prayers for Cathy and all who love and are caring for her. Lord please hear our prayers.❣️

peggyR
March 30, 2024 at 10:51 AM

Many prayers for your sister in law Cathy and her whole family, Joann. Hoping that she will be on the road to a full recovery very soon. Lord Jesus, in your compassion and great Love, please help this family to walk strong together through this difficult period.

March 30, 2024 at 10:36 AM

Joanne I will pray for you and Cathy and your mother in law right now. Ken

jane
March 30, 2024 at 10:10 AM

Joann, lifting your family into the light. Sending them courage and strength for the days ahead and asking for healing for your sister-in-law. Amen.

Stormy
March 30, 2024 at 10:02 AM

Joann prayers for Cathy and all her family and caretakers. May God hold her in his hands and heal her.

Cheryl
March 30, 2024 at 08:29 AM

Many prayers Joann for Cathy and the rest of the family during this trying time...Lord, guide the doctors and nurses hands in healing Cathy...I ask in your name

Wooden cross illuminated from the sky. Image by Javier Art Photography | stock.adobe.com