March 24, 2024
Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord
The Palms in Our Hands
Hosanna!
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!
Mark 11:9

We may spend so much time this Sunday weaving them into decorations or waving them during Mass that we can forget the original meaning of palms.

The dictionary tells us that that the palm tree gets its name from the way its open branches resemble the human hand. As we begin Holy Week, maybe we should consider not just how we use cut palms to remind us of Christ’s entry into Jerusalem but how our own palms, our hands, can carry on what Jesus began.

Have we used our palms during Lent to comfort, to console, to give? Have we folded them more often in prayer? Have we extended them to help?

Palm Sunday can be challenging for a lot of us; the Gospel is long, and the pews are often packed.

But the biggest challenge may be in realizing that our own palms can do so much. Have we put them to use this Lent to truly prepare our hearts for Easter?

- Deacon Greg Kandra

Mark 11:1-10 or John 12:12-16 • Isaiah 50:4-7 • Psalm 22:8-9, 17-20, 23-24 • Philippians 2:6-11 • Mark 14:1—15:47

Comments

March 24, 2024 at 11:48 AM

Thank you for a wonderful reflection this morning, Deacon Greg. We use our hands/ palms as gestures for so many words. The open hand to a child indicates come, you are special, I care about you and much more. May we always have an open hand and heart to all, as Our Lord Jesus would do for all of us. A blessed Palm Sunday to all the LFF and those they love. Praying for all with special needs and for those who have been forgotten in our global community.

March 24, 2024 at 11:09 AM

As a child I always loved receiving palm on Palm Sunday. I would always keep it behind the mirror in my bedroom, replacing it with new every year. Now, all these years later I learn the real meaning of the palm through Deacon Greg, thank you! Although we use our palms to do many things, I will now think of using them as doing God's will. A beautiful Palm Sunday and continued uplifting prayers for all. Sandy

Joann
March 24, 2024 at 01:25 PM

I also put palm behind my bedroom mirror as a child. A Blessed Palm Sunday and Holy week to the LFF

March 24, 2024 at 10:30 AM

Every little details of the Passion week were prepared and prophesied!!! *** The colt (young donkey) that Jesus rode into town on Palm Sunday in Mark 11:2-7, “He (Jesus) said to them (disciples), “Go to the village ahead of you. Just as you enter it, you will find a donkey’s colt tied there. No one has ever ridden it. Untie it and bring it here. Someone may ask you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ If so, say, ‘The Lord needs it. But he will send it back here soon.’ ” So they left. They found a colt out in the street. It was tied at a doorway. They untied it. Some people standing there asked, “What are you doing? Why are you untying that colt?” They answered as Jesus had told them to. So the people let them go. They brought the colt to Jesus. They threw their coats over it. Then he sat on it!” *** The shouting from the crowd in Mark 11:9-10, “Those in front and those in back shouted, “Hosanna!” “Blessed is the One Who comes in the Name of the Lord!” “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”“Hosanna in the highest heaven!” *** All of the above was prophesied and written in the Old Testament referenced in John 12:13-15, “So they took branches from palm trees and went out to meet Him. They shouted, “Hosanna!” “Blessed is the One Who comes in the Name of the Lord!” (Psalm 118:25,26) “Blessed is the king of Israel!” Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it. This is just as it is written in Scripture. It says, “City of Zion, do not be afraid. See, your King is coming. He is sitting on a donkey’s colt.” (Zechariah 9:9)” ******* The disciples didn’t understand at the time until Jesus was resurrected in John 12:16, “At first, Jesus’ disciples did not understand all this. They realized it only after He had received glory. Then they realized that these things had been written about Him. They realized that these things had been done to Him!” *** How about you? Do you understand why Jesus went through what He went through on earth? Do you know what else was written and prophesied about Him in Scripture? *** There are so much more just in today’s reading that prophesied and written about Jesus…What are they? *** Jesus is the theme of the Bible, both the Old Testament and New Testament! John 5:39, “You study the Scriptures carefully. You study them because you think they will give you eternal life. The Scriptures you study are a witness about me (Jesus)!” ******* John 1:1-2, 14, “In the beginning, the Word was already there. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning…The Word became a human being. He made His home with us. We have seen His glory. It is the glory of the One and Only, Who came from the Father. And the Word was full of grace and truth!” Amen ❤️

March 24, 2024 at 11:15 AM

Excellent reading for the passion week written 700 years before Jesus was born in Isaiah 52:13-53:1-12, “The Lord says, “My Servant will act wisely and accomplish His task. He will be highly honored. He will be greatly respected. Many people were shocked when they saw Him. He was so scarred that He no longer looked like a person. His body was so twisted that He did not look like a human being anymore. But many nations will be surprised when they see what He has done. Kings will be so amazed that they will not be able to say anything. They will understand things they were never told. They will know the meaning of things they never heard.” Who has believed what we’ve been saying? Who has seen the Lord’s saving power? His servant grew up like a tender young plant. He grew like a root coming up out of dry ground. He didn’t have any beauty or majesty that made us notice Him. There wasn’t anything special about the way He looked that drew us to Him. People looked down on Him. They didn’t accept Him. He knew all about pain and suffering. He was like someone people turn their faces away from. We looked down on Him. We didn’t have any respect for Him. He suffered the things we should have suffered. He took on Himself the pain that should have been ours. But we thought God was punishing Him. We thought God was wounding Him. and making Him suffer. But the servant was pierced because we had sinned. He was crushed because we had done what was evil. He was punished to make us whole again. His wounds have healed us. All of us are like sheep. We have wandered away from God. All of us have turned to our own way. And the Lord has placed on His Servant the sins of all of us. He was treated badly and made to suffer. But He didn’t open His mouth. He was led away like a lamb to be killed. Sheep are silent while their wool is being cut off. In the same way, He didn’t open His mouth. He was arrested and sentenced to death. Then He was taken away. He was cut off from this life. He was punished for the sins of My people. Who among those who were living at that time tried to stop what was happening? He was given a grave with those who were evil. But His body was buried in the tomb of a rich man. He was killed even though He hadn’t harmed anyone. And He had never lied to anyone. The Lord says, “It was My plan to crush Him and cause Him to suffer. I made His life an offering to pay for sin. But He will see all His children after Him. In fact, He will continue to live. My plan will be brought about through Him. After He has suffered, He will see the light of life. And He will be satisfied. My Godly Servant will make many people godly because of what He will accomplish. He will be punished for their sins. So I will give Him a place of honor among those who are great. He will be rewarded just like others who win the battle. That’s because He was willing to give His life as a sacrifice. He was counted among those who had committed crimes. He took the sins of many people on Himself. And He gave his life for those who had done what is wrong.” *** Praise You, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Amen!!!

March 24, 2024 at 10:23 AM

Deacon Greg - I loved the reflection of the palm and our hands as an extension of Christ’s hands. Thank you for sharing that with us. I read something from the Lenten Hobo Honeymoon (Edward Hayes) this morning on suggestions for using your blessed palm and thought I would also share. Enjoy: 1. Cut a small piece of palm in your wallet to remind you you are homeward bound and to live a simple life. 2. Put a piece in your vehicle’s sun visor to remind you that as you travel all roads lead to the land of your soul. It can inspire you to use your vehicle as a rolling hermitage for reflection and prayer. 3. Place a piece over your bed to remind you that if you die in your sleep, your bed will be a bridge to the gate of paradise. Let it inspire you to fall asleep in peace with all people, secure in the knowledge that you are homeward bound. 4. Place a piece of it in your workplace so that whatever your occupation may be, it is really only a part-time job, since you are homeward bound to God. 5. Set aside a sprig to be placed in your casket, pinned to your burial clothing or placed in your hands - a sign that you have been a martyr-witness to the faith. In Christian art through the ages, it has been a symbol of of those who have given bloody witness to their faith. Palm branches are also signs of victory, and in Revelation the saints in heaven are holding palms as a sign that hey now share in the victory of Jesus Christ. A piece of blessed palm in your coffin, then, can be a most appropriate symbol of faith in the power of the Resurrection.

Bill L.
March 24, 2024 at 03:05 PM

Yes, Jane. I spend about a half an hour placing my bits of Blessed Palms in every room with a crucifix. I've had them in my car as well. Great reminders for reflection. Prayers to all in need on this beginning of Holy Week.

peggyR
March 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM

Thank you Jane for sharing the suggestions of the use of blessed palms at strategic spots in our daily life. Having that little reminder that in everything we do in our lives, we’re always homeward bound. They can lead us to again, refocus our hearts to the true meaning of our lives in Christ.

Rita
March 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM

Thank you, Jane, for sharing these thoughts with us. I really had not thought of any of these. I always place my palms beside our picture of Jesus that hangs right inside our front door. Blessings to all, Rita.

March 24, 2024 at 10:01 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 24, 2024 at 08:53 AM

Greg I love that information about the palm representing the hand of God. Something I didn't know. You open a whole new thought pattern for me, a good one. The sharing hand of God can be spread easily with this knowledge. Giving someone a palm with the notation of God reaching out his hands to them with his love sounds wonderful. Having it visually in their homes will be a reminder of Gods love. Thank you everyone for your prayers for our community dilemma. The main group already approach the local news investigative reporter who wouldn't touch it apparently out of fear or something. Ken and Bill S. the good news is that we did get a small news reporter in the local community to write about the recent meeting and the goings on. We pray now that his energy won't be stopped by the local government. Bonnie I love the idea of the complaints! If we send word out or do a petition to the Governor then maybe she will finally have to approach it because Peggy R you are right, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Thank you LFF you are an inspiration and motivator. Blessings to all the LFF, especially those with extra struggles right now and needs. May God guide and protect us each and everyday. Happy Palm Sunday to all and may those palms(hands of God) give you peace love and happiness ALWAYS!

March 24, 2024 at 08:01 AM

Dcn Greg, my oldest son was complaining about having to stand for long periods during Palm Sunday mass. Last night at the vigil we were told it would be a shorter version of the passion. Upon living I told my son Brian his prayers were answered. Marko and a sinner and Vincent we have not heard from you guys know that You are in my prayers. Padre Pio words for today. Oh Jesus, if I had an infinite number of hearts, all the hearts in the heaven and on earth, your mother's heart, I would offer them all every one of them to you my dear lord. Ken

peggyR
March 24, 2024 at 09:27 PM

Hi Ken, loved your Padre Pio prayer this morning. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Great that Brian with you at Mass last night.

March 24, 2024 at 10:52 AM

Ken, tell Brian to read about how long Paul preached in Acts 20:7-12 (from day to midnight and until daybreak:-) and Acts 28:23 (from morning until evening :-) *** Guess what we will be doing in ETERNITY??? Revelation 5:11-14, “Then I looked and heard the voice of millions and millions of angels. They surrounded the Throne. They surrounded the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying, “The Lamb, Who was put to death, is worthy! He is worthy to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength! He is worthy to receive honor and glory and praise!” All creatures in heaven, on earth, under the earth, and on the sea were speaking. The whole creation was speaking. I heard all of them say, “Praise and honor belong to the One Who sits on the throne and to the Lamb! Glory and power belong to God for ever and ever!” The four living creatures said, “Amen.” And the elders fell down and worshiped.” *** Provided we won’t be standing but prostrating!!! Actually prostrating is an excellent position of prayers when you have the room like at home…try it ❤️

jane
March 24, 2024 at 10:08 AM

Ken, as much as I am fully engaged on my Lenten journey, I must admit I begrudgingly (I hate even writing that word as it applies to my sinful self) stand for the Passion. I know that standing for this is not suffering, yet I find myself turning the hymnal pages to see how long it is and will take. I actually love pouring over the words as they say them, but would prefer to sit for it. On Good Friday at my church they actually sing the Passion, which while beautiful, takes a good bit of time. Please God, forgive my laziness and allow me to fully embrace the true suffering that Jesus endured for us. Amen.

March 24, 2024 at 07:00 AM

The palms of our hands compared to the palms on palm Sunday. Cool!

Sandy