March 23, 2024
St. Turibius of Mogrovejo
Priorities
If we leave him alone, all will believe in him and the Romans will come and take away both our land and our nation.
John 11:48

In today’s Gospel, the chief priests and Pharisees feared that if they did nothing about Jesus, all the people will be united in their belief of him. Fearing a possible uprising would inspire Rome to step in and take their land and nation—they prioritized their land over the souls of the people—they embraced Caiaphas’ plan to sacrifice Jesus so their nation wouldn’t perish. What their plot didn’t consider was that Jesus would indeed die—but to save all of humanity from sin and death.

Today, centuries later, we memorialize the mission of one man following in Jesus’ footsteps, St. Turibius of Mogrovejo, the first known saint of Latin America. In the 16th century, learning the language of the native peoples, Turibius prioritized God first and, through his ministry, drew more than 500,000 souls to Christ, baptizing them all.

- Claire McGarry

Ezekiel 37:21-28 • Jeremiah 31:10-13 • John 11:45-56

Comments

March 23, 2024 at 05:01 PM

Thank you for your reflection this morning, Claire. As we begin the holiest week of our year, I ask for forgiveness from everyone in the LFF if I have ever said anything that may have been unkind or offensive. You all have given me so much faith filled and devout messages and for all of you, I am so grateful to God. May you be blessed abundantly and may we continue to be comforting and encouraging to each other. Jesus I love you, Jesus I trust you, please have mercy on me a sinner. Please forgive my unbelief.

jane
March 24, 2024 at 09:57 AM

Amen Peggy! We walk with you on this journey and are grateful for your engagement and contribution!

March 23, 2024 at 01:40 PM

Amen. :)

March 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM

Praise God for answering my prayers of this past week not the way I would do it, but exactly the way He saw fit - not that the problems went away but God's presence and power were obvious and undeniable ✝️ Seeing and experiencing His powerful works is exhausting...I slept all afternoon and all nght yesterday after coming home from a week of travel and visits ❤️ ******* Salina Smith BSF Prayer Request 03/19/24 * Students – Pray that the students listen to Jesus, understand the truth and recognize Him as their King in John 18:37bc, “Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, that’s the reason I was born. I was born and came into the world to be a witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of truth listens to me.” Amen! * Salina – Lord Jesus, help and bless Jessi with her obedience knowing that Your obedience led You to the cross! Help me speak words of love, compassion, understanding and encouragement with Jessi (with a broken heart), Hang (with a stroke husband), Denise (with family difficulties) and Courtney (difficult relationship with parents)! I don’t know how You fit them all in the next few days, but I know You will :-) 1 Thessalonians 2:8, “We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God’s Good News but our own lives, too.“ Amen!

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 04:28 PM

Joining you in prayer, Salina for your daughter Jessi ( Your unconditional love for her is beautiful)Hang, Denise, Courtney and your students. May they feel Jesus’ Love for them and may He strengthen them to continue their life challenges with faith and resolve. Many prayers for you too, Salina.

March 23, 2024 at 11:30 AM

Please pray for the innocent people who died yesterday at the Crocus Hall in Russia. We shopped and ate there often and it was wonderful to see the Russians embrace such a new, and unique cultural experience of a Western style mall. We were living in Russia when the Theatre attack happened and the Russian’s grief is heart wrenching. Despite political differences, I pray the people of Russia feel the world’s pain and prayers for them.

jane
March 24, 2024 at 09:58 AM

Amen Pam. Heartbreaking.

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 03:18 PM

Yes Pam, I remember when you told the story about your life in Russia. Sending prayers of comfort to all who lost family members and for the many who are wounded and suffering. We are all children of Almighty God and we share in their grief.

March 23, 2024 at 10:18 AM

Claire thank you for your words of inspiration. I love hearing about the saints and looking them up to find out more about them. LFF I am asking prayers for our community. A long time issue with a large company in the area not adhering to the EPA regulations is worsening and taking its toll on the community. The state won't stand up against this company because of money. The air quality has gotten so bad that in one area near this place in the past week two people have died from cancer and four more diagnosed with it and those are only the ones I know about. Please pray for these people that have passed and the others that are ill and for the company to adhere to the safety of the people by following the correct protocol. Blessings to all the LFF. May this be the best holy week ever and may we spread Gods love throughout all the world. Special prayers for those with extra needs these days and for peace throughout all the world.

jane
March 24, 2024 at 09:54 AM

Stormy, continue on your path of contact of multiple sources. Persistence is key here! We are lifting you and your community in this fight. Amen.

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 04:34 PM

Keep it up, Stormy! My Mom used to say”the squeaky wheel gets oiled!) Also praying that someone will finally listen to you and others in regards to this company policies. I agree with the others, it needs to get out into the media

Bonnie L
March 23, 2024 at 11:39 AM

Stormy never give up with your complaints. Here were were I live multiple complaints to the state officials caused them to do something. I can now open my windows and our neighbors can breathe. Groups can do wonders with Gods will help Will follow. I gave to St Joseph to intercede for us. May you and your neighbors find the peace and clean air you deserve. ????

Bill S
March 23, 2024 at 10:48 AM

Stormy, Ken was reading my mind. Have you reached out to local media sources like television stations and newspapers? A good investigative reporter could help apply pressure to get this company to comply with regulations. Good luck and I pray for your community and that this company will do the right thing!

March 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM

Stormy I am so sorry about the dilemma of your community. Sometimes local and even state politicians have been known to help. Sometimes local news stations have help people who take on your case. Whatever I am praying for you and your community right now. Ken

March 23, 2024 at 09:21 AM

Thank you Claire! So interesting to ponder how plans to quash the movement actually inspired, ignited and ultimately amplified it. Our lent is coming to its Holy Week Crescendo and I am seeking the grace to enter into it lovingly and compassionately. Lifting our community this Palm Sunday weekend and all those with special intentions for ailing loved ones. Amen.

March 23, 2024 at 09:20 AM

Praying today for you Eleanor on your birthday! And Joe, special prayers. Any health crisis is hard. It always involves the individual AND those loving and those caring for them. I pray God’s presence is felt and His healing grace is accepted—healing in mind and spirit as well as body. May we all here at this LF site feel the healing touch this week for which Jesus so patiently and lovingly suffered. Anticipation of what is to come can be difficult if not agonizing especially in our later years, but Jesus taught us persevere, endure, trust and we too will rejoice with Him if we say “not mine but Your will be done”. Blessings everyone!

March 23, 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 23, 2024 at 09:08 AM

"God can no more withhold His grace from a soul prepared to receive it than the sun can fail to shine through an open window." St. John Fisher

March 23, 2024 at 09:02 AM

There are many things in my life over which I have no control. Jesus expects me to acknowledge my helplessness and dependence on Him. This week the grandson of dear friends and the daughter of another good friend were hospitalized with life-threatening diseases. I’m asking you to pray today for these children, their families, and the medical staff at Children’s Mercy Hospital that our Great Healer will restore health to the children and comfort to their families. Deo gratias.

Bill L.
March 23, 2024 at 02:14 PM

You and you friends are in my prayers, Joe.

Rita
March 23, 2024 at 01:22 PM

Joe, sending prayers right now to our Lord. He is with us always. Rita

Pam
March 23, 2024 at 11:21 AM

Joe - As always, you have my prayers. It is especially heartbreaking when children are the ones who are afflicted with overwhelming medical issues. Praying for God’s healing love and mercy for them and all who love and care for them.❣️

Sharon
March 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM

Prayers be with the ailing children and all those in need of spiritual, emotional and physical well being.

Stormy
March 23, 2024 at 10:01 AM

Prayers for those special children Joe. May they find healing soon. May their healthcare workers be guided to help them. For God so loves his children.

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Sending loving prayers for these children, Joe. Praying that Our Lord and His Blessed Mother protect and heal them and for their parents that Jesus’ Love strengthens them through their times of trial.

jane
March 23, 2024 at 09:17 AM

Yes Joe, so many stories of surrender. May the families keep their faith on this journey. Sending them courage and strength for the days ahead. Amen.

Irene
March 23, 2024 at 09:10 AM

Many prayers going up for your friends. It is heart-wrenching when a child is so ill.

March 23, 2024 at 08:48 AM

Good Morning Living Faith Family. I just want you all to celebrate today with me on my special day, my birthday ???? ???? ????. I continue to ask Jesus for health,strength and prosperity .As I go out each day I want to go out and be a blessing to others Amen

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 04:14 PM

Many Happy Birthday Blessings to you Eleanor! And may you feel God’s love today and every day!

Bill L.
March 23, 2024 at 02:17 PM

Extra prayers for you on this special day, Eleanor.

Rita
March 23, 2024 at 01:20 PM

Happiest Birthday, Eleanor. May you feel the Lords' loving arms embracing you on this special day. Blessings, Rita.

Pam
March 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM

Eleanor! Prayers for a God Blessed Birthday!❣️

March 23, 2024 at 10:22 AM

Good morning Eleanor happy birthday and may the Lord be with you. You have brighten us in may ways. Joe I will pray for you and your family and your friends children to overcome their sickness. Children's hospitals do a great job in our area and the special people who staff them are super. Couple of inches of snow and the trees and shrubs are beautiful. Living faith family please keep praying for the souls in purgatory and those souls who have no one to pray for them. Jane and Salina your contributions always inspire me. Ken

Nora
March 23, 2024 at 10:04 AM

Happy Birthday, Eleanor! May you have a beautiful day.

Stormy
March 23, 2024 at 09:58 AM

Happy Birthday Eleanor may all your wishes come true and Gods love be with each day. Your great attitude has already spread Gods love to us, thank you.

March 23, 2024 at 09:56 AM

Happy Birthday, Eleanor! May your coming year be a year of knowing Jesus more, loving Him more, enjoying Him more and glorifying Him more, Amen :-)

Normita
March 23, 2024 at 09:51 AM

Happy Birthday Elenor!! May God bless you with a beautiful and wonderful day!!

jane
March 23, 2024 at 09:15 AM

Happiest of birthdays Eleanor!

Irene
March 23, 2024 at 09:00 AM

Happy Birthday Blessings to you!!

Linda
March 23, 2024 at 08:57 AM

Happy Beautiful Birthday Eleanor! You are special in God's eyes. Celebrate the wonderful life He has given you!

March 23, 2024 at 07:30 AM

God’s sovereignty is what I see and learn in these passages today ✝️ *** Caiaphas, the high priest did not come up with the idea of killing Jesus on his own…it was God’s plan of long ago in John 11:50-52, “You don’t realize what is good for you. It is better if one man dies for the people than if the whole nation is destroyed.” He (Caiaphas) did not say this on his own because he was high priest at that time. He prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation. He also prophesied that Jesus would die for God’s children scattered everywhere. He would die to bring them together and make them one!” *** Just as Peter did not come up with his answer on his own in Matthew 16:16-17, “Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah. You are the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah! No mere human showed this to you. My Father in heaven showed it to you!” *** If God is sovereign in all things: good, bad and ugly, how do I respond or react to the things: good, bad and ugly happening in my life and in the world? ******* So it is for me to know the Truth (Jesus) and learn to trust Him!!! This was the lesson a couple days ago. Here is what I have learned (the Truth) to remember (to trust) as Holy Week approaches! *** John 10:17-18, “The reason my Father loves Me is that I give up My life. But I will take it back again. No one takes it from Me. I give it up Myself. I have the authority to give it up. And I have the authority to take it back again. I received this command from My Father.” *** John 19:10-11, “Do You (Jesus) refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t You understand? I have the power to set You free or to nail You to a cross.” Jesus answered, “You were given power from heaven. If you weren’t, you would have no power over Me. So the one who handed Me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.” *** John 15:13, “No one has greater love than the one who gives their life for their friends!” ******* Philippians 2:5-8, “As you deal with one another, you should think and act as Jesus did. In His very nature He was God. Jesus was equal with God. But Jesus didn’t take advantage of that fact. Instead, He made Himself nothing. He did this by taking on the nature of a servant. He was made just like human beings. He appeared as a man. He was humble and obeyed God completely.He did this even though it led to His death. Even worse, He died on a cross!” *** Thank You, Lord Jesus ❤️✝️❤️

March 23, 2024 at 09:46 AM

Sovereign by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/KaO8U70M9Hs?si=TNsGpUzVEryXkJMu

March 23, 2024 at 07:03 AM

Good morning LFF... your reflection today Claire, strengthens my other readings to place Christ first above all and to trust in him, wholeheartedly...have a wonderful weekend everyone

March 23, 2024 at 06:48 AM

The unspotted Lamb had to be sacrificed on Passover for the sins of the nation. Thank God Jesus was sent for the task.

Bill S