March 22, 2024
Lenten Weekday
God, My Rock
I love you, O LORD, my strength,
O LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer.
My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold!
Psalm 18:2-3

I thought I knew rocks until I traveled to parts of New England. There the sandy beaches of my New Jersey youth were often replaced by boulders. It appeared that some giant hand had handpicked and strategically placed these immense detached rocks in some kind of formation that not even centuries of pounding waves were able to dislodge. Today those same boulders stand steady and offer shelter and a hiding place to all kinds of nesting birds and wild plants.

The psalmist speaks of God as rock, as strength, as fortress, as a refuge and a shield. What an appropriate image for us to contemplate, especially in our hours of need.

Loving God, Holy One, thank you for being the protector and stronghold for all who call upon you this day.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, I.H.M.

Jeremiah 20:10-13 • Psalm 18:2-7 • John 10:31-42

Comments

March 22, 2024 at 01:57 PM

Thanks Chris, heartwarming reflection! God, My Rock! A perfect image of Strength. We are called to make God our pillar/ tower of strength. When our lives are etched in God's, we stand secured from every storm and calamity. I'm reminded of the song which says..."He's my rock, my sword my shield, he's the hub in the middle of the wheel." Every one of these facets, speaks to a measure of protection from God. When we engage Him, we are shielded and protected from all adversities. God, Our Rock, upon you we stand, keep us safe and secure, Amen. Sending prayers and blessings for all with special needs and intentions this day. God's continued blessings Living Faith Family. Peace and love, JJC.

March 22, 2024 at 10:58 AM

AMEN!

March 22, 2024 at 10:12 AM

Sr. Chris, this was the perfect devotion for me today and I shared that psalm passage with my dear friend Rick who today will be back at the hospital for a colostomy. I know he’s a believer and encouraged him to cling onto God, that rock who is our fortress, especially when the storms are coming relentlessly. Thank you all for your prayers for my friend. I am lifting you all up today in prayer for whatever your needs may be. Have a blessed day!

peggyR
March 23, 2024 at 09:31 AM

Many prayers for Rick and his family. May the Lord provide him everything he needs to have a good recovery.

jane
March 23, 2024 at 09:08 AM

Praying for Rick’s continued healing.

Sharon
March 22, 2024 at 11:52 AM

Rick is fortunate to have such a rock for a supporter as you. May Rick have successful surgery. May he have a speedy recovery and adjustment to his new self.

March 22, 2024 at 09:42 AM

Good morning everyone and thank you Sister Chris for your timely message this am. After receiving the sacrament of Reconciliation last night, I am fortified by Our Rock and Our Refuge. May I ask Our Dear Lord to be the Rock and Refuge to those who are especially in need of your Strength today. Thank. you Faith for your birthday wishes for Zachary. I will share it with him. Ken, praying that your scan results will come soon. You are so special to all of us. Have a blessed Palm Sunday weekend, everyone. Our Savior is with us.

March 22, 2024 at 08:47 AM

GM everyone! Sr. Chris, thank you so very much for your continued, meaningful contributions to Living Faith. They always take us to a deeper, contemplative place. I am so thankful to have God as my rock and my salvation. I am also so very grateful for Trace who was my lab technician at my “know your numbers physical” this morning. He said to me, “I always round up on height and down on weight and take off a bit for clothing.” I almost hugged him. Seems as my age catches up with me, I am fighting to keep that height and lose that weight!!!! Thank you God for the generosity of Trace. The rest of my numbers were in line, so I live to fight another healthy day! Stormy and all who are finding relief in the petition for peace, you are so welcome. From our mouths to Gods ears. Wishing everyone a happy Friday and a restful weekend. Amen.

Bill L.
March 22, 2024 at 02:43 PM

LOL, Jane! I always wear sandals to remove at my appts. and take everything out of my pockets before I get on the scale. So that 5 lb. bonus they give really helps! Thank you, Sr. Chris, for those strengthening words. Blessed Palm Sat/Sun everyone.

March 22, 2024 at 11:07 AM

Jane loved" up on the height and down on the weight " Sarah Young Jesus Calling this morning refered me to Psalm 95 1,2 I will share. Come, let us sing joyfully to the Lord; cry out to the rock of our salvation. 2 Let us come before him with a song of praise, joyfully sing out our psalms. Thanks for prayers scan was just for a followup from last years results. My friend Terry who I see every morning, got a new cell phone. She doesn't know how to use it the other one was for emergencies. Being a devil I showed her my phone with solitaire app, and the Bible on line and morning offering on my email. Now we have to get her an email address and goggle account. I will need help using her phone it's not like mine but is android. Babbling again but posting at 11am nobody will read Keeping you guys in my prayers. Ken

Bill S
March 22, 2024 at 10:08 AM

Oh Jane, that struggle is so real. They tell me that I’m no longer the height that I used to be and the extra weight that I have gained just won’t come off. Glad your other numbers are still good. My doctor appointment is at the end of April and hopefully I get a clean bill of health.

peggyR
March 22, 2024 at 09:46 AM

Glad all your numbers were great, Jane. Wish we could have a “Trace” in our clinic! Keep up the good work!

March 22, 2024 at 08:39 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 22, 2024 at 08:16 AM

Sr. Chris much needed words of strength thank you. I feel as though evil fills this world these days and the good is losing. Sometimes I get so tired in this weary world, but to think of the strength of God fortifying us with a wall of rocks eases the fears. Blessings to all the LFF. Peggy R, I hope Zachary had a good birthday yesterday. What a blessing for you. Prayers for all, especially those needing an extra hand these days. May Gods rocks support and protect us all.

peggyR
March 22, 2024 at 09:29 AM

Thank you, Stormy for your birthday wishes to Zachary yesterday. And just wait until I tell him that you live close to the Grand Canyon, he’ll be ecstatic! Hope you and Journey are getting along just fine and fitting in nicely. What a blessing for you!

March 22, 2024 at 08:10 AM

March 22, 2024 at 06:53 AM

Good morning LFF... thank you Sr. Chris for this reminder that our Lord holds steadfast in his love and continuous blessings for us... have a lovely Friday everyone

March 22, 2024 at 06:29 AM

What adversity are you facing right now that God can be your Rock if you let Him? *** Here is what Jeremiah faced in Jeremiah 20:10, “I hear many people whispering, “There is terror on every side! Bring charges against Jeremiah! Let’s bring charges against him!” All my friends are waiting for me to slip. They are saying, “Perhaps he will be tricked into making a mistake. Then we’ll win out over him. We’ll get even with him.” *** Can you imagine your ‘friends’ are waiting for you to make a mistake, bringing charges against you and trying to get even with you? *** Jeremiah believed God will defend him and bring disaster to his enemy in Jeremiah 20:11-12, “But You are with me like a mighty warrior. So those who are trying to harm me will trip and fall. They won’t win out over me. They will fail. They’ll be totally put to shame. Their dishonor will never be forgotten. Lord, You rule over all. You test those who do what is right. You see what is in people’s hearts and minds.So pay them back for what they’ve done. I’ve committed my cause to you.” ******* Jesus faced the same in John 10:31, 39, “Again the Jews who had challenged Him picked up stones to kill Him…Again they tried to arrest Him. But He escaped from them!” *** Jesus knew sorrow and disappointment in Matthew 26:38, 40, “He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”…Then He returned to the disciples and found them asleep. He said to Peter, “Couldn’t you watch with Me even one hour?” *** He understands what we are going through in Hebrews 4:15, “This High Priest (Jesus) of ours understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do, yet He did not sin!” *** So we go to our Rock for our refuge in Hebrews 4:16, “So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most!” Amen!!!

Rita
March 22, 2024 at 12:25 PM

AMEN! Thank you, Salina. Blessings, Rita.

Sunrise in Acadia National park, Maine. Image by romylee | stock.adobe.com