March 20, 2024
Lenten Weekday
Remain in Christ
If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:31-32

Inside the city jail, I have met some of the freest people I’ve ever met. Their faces shine with light as they trust that they will be OK, that God is tending to their needs. Freedom, after all, is about remaining in the truth: God made us with dignity and gave each of us a free will. And we always have a choice about our attitude. We can remain in Christ no matter where we are.

What does it mean to “remain” (v. 31)? We are rooted, devoted, committed. Our behavior shows trust and humility before God’s greatness. We stay true to who we are and make choices that show that Christ is the one who has true power over us, not any tyrant or oppressive situation.

Help me to remain in your word and know true freedom, Christ.

- Sr. Julia Walsh, F.S.P.A.

Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95 • Daniel 3:52-56 • John 8:31-42

Comments

March 21, 2024 at 12:29 AM

LFF, a long day today, thank you for your prayers for my good friend Rick. He met with oncologist today and they have a treatment plan for his cancer. Continued intercession requested to St. Peregrine for this treatment to rid his body of this disease.

jane
March 21, 2024 at 07:14 AM

Sending Rick light, strength and courage for the path ahead. Amen.

March 20, 2024 at 04:05 PM

Thank you, Sr. Julia, for your devotional today. To carry the verse a little longer, He says 'The truth will set you free'. It always impresses me when I hear bible verses in everyday life and know that they come from the Word of God. I often wonder if people realize when they repeat some of the words, they know Who spoke them first!

March 20, 2024 at 12:43 PM

Amen. :)

March 20, 2024 at 10:46 AM

Thank you for your inspirational reflection this morning, Sister Julia. You have been dedicated to helping prisoners for a long time now. God bless you for that. If we only realize that every human being is born with dignity and yes, may have made some choices that were against the law. Through wonderful people like you and for the prisoners themselves they’ve been able to begin to trust Our Lord, thus freeing them from their past mistakes and bringing them to the joy of their true selves. Thank you again, Sister Julia.

March 20, 2024 at 09:58 AM

Love Daniel 3!!! *** The freedom to say what they said in Daniel 3:16-18, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him. They said, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we don’t need to talk about this anymore. We might be thrown into the blazing furnace. But the God we serve is able to bring us out of it alive. He will save us from your power. But we want you to know this, Your Majesty. Even if we knew that our God wouldn’t save us, we still wouldn’t serve your gods. We wouldn’t worship the gold statue you set up.” *** The truth from God Himself in Daniel 1:17, 20, “God gave knowledge and understanding to these four young men. So they understood all kinds of writings and subjects. And Daniel could understand all kinds of visions and dreams…He (king Nebuchadnezzar) asked them (Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego) for advice in matters that required wisdom and understanding. The king always found their answers to be the best. Other men in his kingdom claimed to get knowledge by using magic. But the answers of Daniel and his friends were ten times better than theirs.” *** The end result of these four young men knowing the truth developing the trust even in death in Daniel 3:28-30, “Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “May the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be praised! He has sent His angel and saved His servants. They trusted in Him. They refused to obey my command. They were willing to give up their lives. They would rather die than serve or worship any god except their own God. No other god can save people this way. So I’m giving an order about the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. No one may say anything against Him. That’s true no matter what language they speak. If they say anything against Him, they’ll be cut to pieces. And their houses will be turned into piles of trash.” Then the king honored Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. He gave them higher positions in the city of Babylon and the towns around it!” ******* Can I have the truth of my faith as these four young men had and declare my trust in God even when God does not answer my prayer the way I ask for? A loved one continues to be sick? A relationship not restored? A financial situation not resolved. A lost loved one still lost? A war continues? Innocents remains unprotected? You can probably add to the list your unanswered prayers…

March 20, 2024 at 09:52 AM

AMEN!

March 20, 2024 at 09:21 AM

Love the picture ❤️ To me, it is knowing the truth first before my trust will develop! These Jews and religious leaders did believe what they were doing was to defend their religion, their rules they have developed based on their God that they have created :-( *** Do you see any religious followers and religious leaders in these days defend their practices based on their beliefs of the ‘truths’ of the God image they have developed? *** Just finished watching the movie, “Come Sunday” on Netflix, and it breaks my heart to see a successful pastor becoming a heretic because of ‘his feelings!’ *** How do I know the truth and how does it set me free? ******* Only Jesus in knowing the Father and through no other names and no other practices in John 14:6-7, “Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really know Me, you will know My Father also. From now on, you do know Him. And you have seen Him.” *** Jesus is the Way to the Father, He is the Truth above all practices, and He gives me the eternal life with God forever! *** John 8:31, “Jesus said to those Jews who believed in Him, "If you remain in My Word, you will truly be My disciples, and you will know the Truth, and the Truth (Jesus) will set you free!” *** How much time do I spend each day to know the Truth (Jesus) in His Word directly? How much time do I spend each day to know the Truth (Jesus) in all other people’s words indirectly? 1 Corinthians 10:23, “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”— but not everything is constructive!” ******* John 15:4-5, “Remain in Me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing!”

March 20, 2024 at 09:15 AM

Sr Julia thanks for your comments and reflections you contribute to this site. Reminds of that song me of that song. Me and Bobby Magee words were "freedom just another word of nothing left to lose." Living faith family went for MRI this morning my pulmonologist wanted to follow-up on last year's results (found a nodule he didn't like. ). While there I told the technician" had a friend who said he trained his dog to operate a MRI machine I told him cat's scan." I am praying for Rick, Maryanne and her husband, Jane and my two children to return to the faith, Cass Stephanie and Christine, Carl and Maryanne right now. Ken

jane
March 21, 2024 at 07:12 AM

Ken, certainly requesting a positive outcome here on the MRI. Blessings to you today.

peggyR
March 20, 2024 at 04:26 PM

To our Dear Ken who always has a good story to share and beautiful prayers for all of us. Best wishes for good results on your cat(lol) scan! And you always make us laugh!! God bless you and as all the others say; we’ve gotcha!

Pam
March 20, 2024 at 02:33 PM

Ken...you are always in my prayers and a little tighter as you await the full results of your scan. Get all the information you need, let the dust settle and then onward. We gotcha covered!

Irene
March 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM

Ken, I also have 2 children who have left the Catholic faith. My daughter & her husband are devoted Catholics & for that I am thankful. One of my sons joined the Baptist church, my youngest son sometimes attends a Protestant church with his wife. I pray for my & your children to return to the One, Holy, & Apostolic Church!

JudyF
March 20, 2024 at 10:05 AM

Ken, prayers that your MRI results will be good news. And thank you for all you do for your your second graders, and your thoughtful prayers for others.

March 20, 2024 at 09:25 AM

Hahaha! CT scan :-)

March 20, 2024 at 09:09 AM

Please excuse the typo! Meant to say God of course is attending to his needs.

Pam
March 20, 2024 at 02:37 PM

Mary Beth...we knew it was "God"!!! Stents are good and can provide a new lease on life...I know, I have 5! God Bless you and your husband and all who will be caring for him.

March 20, 2024 at 09:08 AM

Thank you very much Sr. Julia for this devotion today as I am trusting my husband will be ok and I am sure Gos is tending to his needs. He has a second stent being put in today and I am praying all goes well. Thank you to the entire LFF for all your prayers and support. The love from this group is overwhelming. Blessings to all and thank you again.

Bill L.
March 20, 2024 at 03:53 PM

Traveling yesterday, so I couldn't offer my prayers up for you and your husband, Mary Beth. You will be in my rosary this evening.

March 20, 2024 at 08:49 AM

Always trust in God and it will reflect in my behavior. Thank you, Sr. Julia for this positive reflection to always remember and live by. Lifting prayers and a beautiful day to all! Sandy

March 20, 2024 at 08:34 AM

Sr. Julia your words give me strength to push forward. "Remain in truth" those words says so much to me. I love the image that comes with the page today "truth" and "trust" are so close to each other not only in spelling but in life. Trust in God and the truth reveals itself wow! Blessings LFF you are all an inspiration to the world. Your faith inspires me daily. Prayers to all the LFF especially those needing an extra hand theses days, Rick, Mary Ann's husband, Janes kids, Karen, Christine/Cass and anyone else quietly needing strength and hope. May we all spread God's love through all the world. Ken, I love that show "What would you do." It shows God's love is still in this world.

March 20, 2024 at 07:08 AM

Sr. Julia, I loved the line, “We stay true to who we are and make choices that show that Christ is the one who has true power over us, not any tyrant or oppressive situation.” Not perfect, but as you say, rooted, devoted and committed. Such words of strength to start my day when I know I will have trials and ups and downs. Mary Beth, hope your husband is progressing in his treatment. Continued prayers for Rick. Also asking God to watch over and engage with our teen and adult children who don’t believe, can’t be bothered with, or “don’t need” the Divine. May they experience conversion during Holy Week. Also, on a different note but happy to share treasure… I have been doing the pray 40 challenge on the Halo app and have found it very moving. It focused on the life of Father Walter Cizek (sp?) and his very moving story about his imprisonment in Russia. There are a diversity of speakers (both men and women - religious and non-religious) and different types of prayer. A highly recommend. Blessings to all of you today. Still not a robot either Ken. Amen.

Irene
March 20, 2024 at 10:39 AM

I have been using the Ascension app during Lent. That also includes reflections about that missionary priest in Russia. Very inspiring. So much more is on this app that I will be taking advantage of after Easter, especially the Bible in a year & the Catechism in a year.

peggyR
March 20, 2024 at 09:45 AM

Thank you, Jane for your recommendation about the Halo app. I too have seen the ads, but haven’t searched it out yet. I’d also like to thank you for your continued dedication in posting the prayer for the suffering people in Ukraine and so many other areas of the world. It helps me adjust my focus and keeps me aware of our brothers and sisters all over the globe who need our prayers. I join you in prayers for our youth and young adults who don’t realize how much Jesus loves them. May they hear His whisper during this Holy Easter time

SandyK
March 20, 2024 at 08:37 AM

Thank you Jane, for the info on the prayer app. I've seen it advertised and was wondering about it, so nice to hear positive feedback. Hopefully, it reaches some of our younger generation too!

March 20, 2024 at 07:06 AM

Thanks Sr Julia for this morning's reflection. Your opening sentence caught my interest. " Inside the city jail, I have met some of the freest people. " And what freedom! For even as they are incarcerated, their minds are free! Free to make better choices about their lives. Choosing to remain in Christ is true freedom. May God's word connect us to the truth which is Christ Himself and so find our place as a son and a daughter of God, who Himself will always be our Father. Sending prayers and blessings for all with special intentions and needs today. Wednesday blessings Living Faith Family!

March 20, 2024 at 06:57 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 20, 2024 at 05:42 AM

Amen !! :)

March 20, 2024 at 05:33 AM

Amen.. thank you Sr. Julia

Hand-turned wood cube and changes the word