March 13, 2024
Lenten Weekday
A Time of Penance and of Promise
…I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me has eternal life and will not come to condemnation…
John 5:24

Lent is a time of self-abnegation. We turn our hearts toward the Lord in repentance, as we empty our hearts of selfishness, that God can fill us with his sacrificial love. We are called to die to self so that Christ can live in us. It is a time of penance, however, it is also a time of promise.

Although our Lents are penitential, we know how the story ends. We have the privilege of knowing that Jesus has risen from the dead. So, with Easter approximately two and a half weeks away, let us use this time to ask ourselves: How can I further empty myself so that the Lord of Life can reign in me?

Heavenly Father, help us as we strive to turn toward you, not only during the solemn time of Lent, but likewise in the midst of the promise of Easter and beyond.

- Mr. Justin McClain, O.P.

Isaiah 49:8-15 • Psalm 145:8-9, 13-14, 17-18 • John 5:17-30

Comments

March 13, 2024 at 10:50 AM

Thank you, Mr Justin. As I ask for forgiveness, may I begin to fully open my heart to Jesus and on and on every day of my life. May our Lord bring the joy of His Resurrection to all who have experienced it and to all who’ll experience it this Easter and Easter’s to come. Thank you Lord Jesus for your unconditional Love.

March 13, 2024 at 09:51 AM

AMEN!

March 13, 2024 at 08:18 AM

Justin your reflection encourages us each day to open up our hearts to Jesus and follow him. May each of us share God's love with others more and more each day. Thanks to all the LFF for the continued prayers and support for Cass. Pam appreciate the prayer of St. Michael of the Saints. Have a blessed day.

March 13, 2024 at 08:12 AM

What I learn about God the Father and God the Son Jesus in today's Gospel!!! *** God the Father and God the Son, Jesus are equally God and united in their work in John 5:19, 21-22, "Jesus answered, “What I’m about to tell you is true. The Son can do nothing by Himself. He can do only what He sees his Father doing. What the Father does, the Son also does...The Father raises the dead and gives them life. In the same way, the Son gives life to anyone He wants to. Also, the Father does not judge anyone. He has given the Son the task of judging!" *** Eternal life for those who hears His Word and believe God sent Jesus in John 5:24-25, "What I’m about to tell you is true. Anyone who hears My Word and believes Him (God the Father) Who sent Me (God the Son, Jesus) has eternal life. They will not be judged. They have crossed over from death to life. What I’m about to tell you is true. A time is coming for Me to give life. In fact, it has already begun. The dead will hear the voice of the Son of God. Those who hear it will live!" *** Life or death choices in John 5:28-29, "Do not be amazed at this. A time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice. They will all come out of their graves. People who have done what is good will rise and live again. People who have done what is evil will rise and be found guilty!" ******* ALL will rise, good, bad and ugly, ALL will rise from their graves in the end!!! The difference is whether you hear His Word and believe in God the Father sending God the Son, Jesus, or not before you went to your grave! Jesus defined "Eternal Life" in John 17:3, "And what is eternal life? It is knowing You (God the Father), the only true God, and Jesus Christ (God the Son), Whom You have sent!"

March 13, 2024 at 08:05 AM

Justin, thank you for sharing this today. What I will take with me today is, “ How can I further empty myself…..”. I have more than two more weeks till Easter to empty myself and make room for the risen Christ to reign in my life. Love the thought of emptying self, to become more whole with Jesus. Lifting Cass and Vincent today. Also continuing prayers for Robert (recovering from surgery) and his wife Lyndel who is ministering to him. May God continue to help in the healing so he can return home. Amen.

peggyR
March 13, 2024 at 10:34 AM

Sending prayers to Robert for healing and a quick recovery. Also, prayers for Lyndell so she keeps her strength as she cares for Robert during these post surgery days. Continuing to lift Karen in prayer and hope she’s regaining her strength and hope she’s in good spirits.

March 13, 2024 at 08:00 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Haiti, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 13, 2024 at 07:53 AM

Amen. :)

Janet a.k.a. "Sunshine" Respond to comment
March 13, 2024 at 07:16 AM

Good Wednesday morning LFF. May our Dear Lord and Savior and Blessed Mother Mary richly bless us and take care of all of us and our Families.

March 13, 2024 at 06:11 AM

Amen...Lord give us the strength to turn only to you

March 13, 2024 at 06:01 AM