March 7, 2024
Sts. Perpetua and Felicity
Listen Carefully Amid the Noise and Chaos
Oh, that today you would hear his voice:
“Harden not your hearts…”
Psalm 95:7-8

In my work with clients, I hear myself repeating certain messages. One key message is this: Regardless of the pain or trauma you have been through, there is no greater loss or deeper suffering than that of a closed or hardened heart. It isn’t the devastation itself that destroys people, it is what happens after.

The hardest decision to make, and the one that has the largest implications for the rest of your life, is the choice to keep your heart open no matter what.

And it is a choice.

In the noise and chaos of a stormy season, listen carefully for the whisper of God’s voice, and choose wisely—harden not your heart.

- Kristin Armstrong

Jeremiah 7:23-28 • Psalm 95:1-2, 6-9 • Luke 11:14-23

Comments

March 7, 2024 at 10:36 PM

Stormy....just checking in on your journey....

March 7, 2024 at 10:57 AM

Thank you for this reflection.

March 7, 2024 at 10:10 AM

Kristin, thank you for another wonderful reflection. This one is truly a keeper. An open heart can be hurt at times, but the feeling of joy in a reunion is worth much more than a closed heart could ever imagine. Much love and blessings to all our LFF.

March 7, 2024 at 10:01 AM

AMEN!

March 7, 2024 at 09:08 AM

Amen.☮️

March 7, 2024 at 08:32 AM

Thanks Kristin for today's reflection, heartwarming! Listen to love! Open our hearts to love! We will recognize after all, it is God Himself who is Love, who whispers softly, amidst the bantings and batterings "O that today you would hear my voice, harden not your hearts. Sending prayers and blessings for all with special intentions and needs today. Blessings and love Living Faith Family. It's my birthday today, attended morning Mass and exposition and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

Bill L.
March 7, 2024 at 03:29 PM

A blessed birthday to you JJC. =iii=

jane
March 7, 2024 at 02:21 PM

JJC - super happy birthday to you. Hope it’s awesome.

peggyR
March 7, 2024 at 09:55 AM

Wishing you a happy and blessed birthday! May God bless you with many more!

March 7, 2024 at 09:36 AM

Happy birthday I always enjoy your comments and reflections. Ken

Kathy J
March 7, 2024 at 09:35 AM

Enjoy your blessed birthday today!

Pam
March 7, 2024 at 09:35 AM

JJC. - Happy Birthday! All of God’s very best blessings to you this day, and this year! ❣️ And I agree, what a wonderful way to celebrate in the presence of God!

Irene
March 7, 2024 at 09:30 AM

Happy Birthday Blessings! What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday!

March 7, 2024 at 08:25 AM

My dad died of a heart attack when I was 6. He was only 48. My mom was only 43. There were still 7 kids at home. She was a stay at home housewife. What a daunting reality thrust upon my beautiful mom. She had seen my dad come thru the worst of WW II, including the Battle of the Bulge. My mom was raising my two oldest sisters by her self during those years while he was helping liberate Europe. A beautiful life ensued when he came home. Then they faced the death of my brother Tommy at the age of 3 from spinal meningitis. Healthy one week, and a week later he was gone. He died 2 days before Thanksgiving. My mom told my oldest sister she would never be happy again. My mom walked with a limp her entire life after contracting polio as a little girl. To this day I am amazed at how one person could face so much and not be bitter. But she never hardened her heart. She was always joyful and loving and supportive. She used to tell me, “Put it in the Hands of the Lord,” whenever I faced adversity. She’d say, “it’ll all work out.” Two years ago she died at the age of 100 in the same home and the same bed she shared with my dad. She had a clear mind and was thankful till the very end, remarking, “I had a great life.” So Kristin, yes, she never sought relief in a bottle. She made a choice and her choice was the Lord!

jane
March 7, 2024 at 02:20 PM

Kevin, absolutely AMAZING mom. What a great role model and happy heart. Thank you for sharing.

peggyR
March 7, 2024 at 10:39 AM

Oh Kevin, what a lovely life story of your beautiful Mother! It brought tears to my eyes and a swelling in my heart. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Your family is truly blessed.

March 7, 2024 at 10:25 AM

Thank you for sharing, Kevin! *** Reminds me of this song, “Unsung Hero” by for King and Country https://youtu.be/iqFpF-WChp4?si=gJKJiggv-po_5PS0 *** The movie, “Unsung Hero” is coming to a theater near you starting April 26 https://youtu.be/_mYkDJ1vBg4?si=yAE_fZ5V5IfIEueE

March 7, 2024 at 09:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. Your mom is truly a saint and she's looking down on you. My dad would've been at the Battle of the Bulge but I was just being born an he became exempt because he was a father. Most of his friends from NYC were there and died or were injured. Living faith family please keep praying for the souls in purgatory and those souls who have no one to pray for them. Good new my friend Terry had her protective boot taken off and toes are healing. Thanks for all your prayers. Ken

Pam
March 7, 2024 at 09:32 AM

Kevin! What a God blessed gift your Mother was to you and your family. Thank you for sharing her heart with us…❣️ God Bless Us All And All Who We Love.

March 7, 2024 at 08:13 AM

Amen. :)

March 7, 2024 at 07:57 AM

When we can’t and don’t, He will and does a total heart transplant surgery on us! *** Ezekiel 11:19-20, “And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart, so they will obey my decrees and regulations. Then they will truly be My people, and I will be their God!” *** Ezekiel 36:26-27, “And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put My Spirit in you so that you will follow My decrees and be careful to obey My regulations!” *** Born again is the heart transplant procedure in John 3:3,” Jesus replied, “What I’m about to tell you is true. No one can see God’s kingdom unless they are born again.” ******* When we are born again, God performs a heart transplant, as it were. He gives us a new heart. The power of the Holy Spirit changes our hearts from sin-focused to God-focused ❤️✝️❤️

March 7, 2024 at 08:01 AM

Psalm 51-10, “God, create a pure heart in me. Give me a new spirit that is faithful to You!” Amen!

March 7, 2024 at 07:25 AM

Kristin, just so moving. Plus the poem from Troy. I believe softening our hearts is a choice, and it is also a discipline that takes practice, patience, persistence and repetition, along with time. I need to re-make the choice to keep our hearts open again and again to ensure it softens with each yes. Lifting Karen, Roman, Ellen and Roman, and Betsy to your care today. Amen.

March 7, 2024 at 07:21 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering from the fires in TX, in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 7, 2024 at 07:09 AM

Kristen thanks for the inspirational words. To heal and forgive completely, we must open our hearts to God and others. Have a blessed day!

March 7, 2024 at 07:03 AM

A neighbor lost his wife to an early unexpected death. Extreme sadness, but it was a good marriage with fond memories. Many years ago my marriage ended in a difficult divorce with much "hardness of heart" on both sides. It wasn't until the bitterness ended through persevering faith and trust in scripture that life became joyful again. I have often wondered which is the more difficult way to end a relationship - loss through death with fond memories or the pain of separation with "hardness of heart." I agree Kristin. "harden not your heart."

March 7, 2024 at 05:46 AM

Kristen, what a profound message and so beautifully written. A keeper that I'll put in my inspirational journal....thank you. My prayer is to discern God's whisper and choosing wisely. Continued prayers for all LFF, for a blessed Friday....and to keep your hearts open! Sandy

Sandy
March 7, 2024 at 06:54 AM

I have also added this one to my journal- thank you for this deep and resonating message!

SandyK
March 7, 2024 at 05:50 AM

Oops, a blessed Thursday. Ahead of myself.

March 7, 2024 at 05:42 AM

Kristin, I had to read this over and over. So true. Some people are their own worst enemies. If they would just soften their hearts, life would seep in!

March 7, 2024 at 05:11 AM

Born of cold and winter air and mountain rain combining This icy force, both foul and fair, has a frozen heart worth mining Cut through the heart, cold and clear Strike for love and strike for fear There's beauty and there's danger here Split the ice apart, beware the frozen heart!

peggyR
March 7, 2024 at 09:52 AM

Beautiful poetry, Troy. It reveals so much truth! Thank you for sharing. ❤️

jane
March 7, 2024 at 07:16 AM

❤️ this. Thank you for sharing Troy!!!

Nancy
March 7, 2024 at 07:06 AM

Beautifully said! Have a blessed day!

Sandy
March 7, 2024 at 06:53 AM

WOW!!

Joann
March 7, 2024 at 05:43 AM

Thank you for sharing.

Linda
March 7, 2024 at 05:39 AM

Troy, great prose! I love the literal AND symbolic imagery.

March 7, 2024 at 04:48 AM