March 5, 2024
Lenten Weekday
Kindness From the Lord
In your kindness remember me…
Psalm 25:7

What are the desires of your heart? What kindness are you asking from the Lord?

“Well,” you might say, “I can’t ask the Lord for anything; there are so many people worse off than me.” Many people, myself included, have a long list of people for whom they pray. They ask the Lord to guide family members back to the church, to heal their friends suffering from cancer, to untangle others’ financial tangles.

It is good that we pray for one another, but often we forget to pray for ourselves. The psalmist boldly says to the Lord, “…remember me.” Jesus loves us beyond all telling, and in his infinite kindness and mercy, he wants to gift us with every good thing.

St. Thérèse of Lisieux’s greatest desire was to become a saint. She didn’t hide that desire at the bottom of her prayer list. She bravely asked for it. She believed that God in his great mercy and she in her littleness were a perfect match.

Lord, please grant me the desires of my heart.

- Jennifer Christ

Daniel 3:25, 34-43 • Psalm 25:4-9 • Matthew 18:21-35

Comments

March 6, 2024 at 11:00 AM

Thank you for a great reflection, Steve. Reminds me of many times that our Pope Francis has asked that we don’t get too rigid with the law and concentrate on loving all people as Jesus would do. It hurts my heart when I read the terrible comments people make about him. He is accepting and compassionate, just like Our Lord Jesus.

March 6, 2024 at 06:32 AM

Pray for all the people in the wildfires or Texas, There have lost everything because of the fires whole towns have been destroyed. They had to shoot cows and calves so they would not burn in the fire. Thousands of cattle have died. Thank Jesus only 3 people died. This will take 2 to 3 years for this industry to come back and feed us. Beef prices and chicken will sky rocket because of demand.

March 5, 2024 at 01:56 PM

So this week we study John 17 at BSF! I love this whole chapter on Jesus' prayers (His kindness and love for us is in full display) a few days before His crucifixion on the cross! He gave us examples of what to pray, why we pray and how to pray! *** Jesus first prayed for Himself in John 17:1-5! *** Then He prayed for His 12 disciples in John 17:6-19! *** Finally He prayed for all believers (including you and I) ******* Praying with a spiritual focus (our student leaders training this morning) with three quesions to ask oursleves when we pray: WHAT are you asking God to do? WHY does it matter He does this? HOW can this magnify God (this is easily missing from my payers)? It was so helpful to me to go through these 3 questions as we pray for our students and lessons with a spiritual focus, not just a check list of what we want... *** The words, 'glorify' and 'glory' are mentioned at least 10 times in His prayer! *** What a wonderful prayer by Azariah in Daniel 3:39-43, "But with contrite heart and humble spirit let us be received (WHAT); As though it were burnt offerings of rams and bulls, or tens of thousands of fat lambs, So let our sacrifice be in Your presence today and find favor before You (WHY); for those who trust in You cannot be put to shame (WHY). And now we follow You with our whole heart, we fear You and we seek Your face. Do not put us to shame (WHAT), but deal with us in Your kindness and great mercy (WHAT). Deliver us in accord with Your wonders (WHAT), and bring glory to Your Name (HOW), O Lord!" *** Prayer is not just asking God to give us what we want...to make life easier, to bring peace, to heal loved ones...BUT to want to bring glory to God so others can see His glory through our encounters with God in our situations! ******* So others know and believe in God and have eternal life as Jesus' finished work on earth bringing glory to God inJohn 17:3, "Now this is eternal life: that they know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, Whom You have sent." Period, bottom line :-) *** Think about WHAT, WHY and HOW your answered prayers bring glory to God as a result!!!

March 5, 2024 at 09:55 AM

AMEN!

March 5, 2024 at 09:54 AM

Vicky G. I too went back to read your post. As always, you touched my heart with the stories of your journey. Thank you. Thank you.❣️

March 5, 2024 at 09:01 AM

Amen.☮️

March 5, 2024 at 08:57 AM

Jennifer your words hit home very closely. Your words give hope and encouragement thank you. Vicky G. amazing story yesterday thank you for sharing. You give me some hope and inspiration. Blessings to all the LFF. May God be with each and everyone of you and hold you in his hands of love and forgiveness. May we go out and spread his love to all the world.

March 5, 2024 at 08:32 AM

Pray for the repose of the soul of Matthew B. He passed away on Sunday night. He was on a ventilator for 3 weeks. Prayers for the consolation of the families who grieve him.

peggyB
March 5, 2024 at 04:38 PM

Praying for the repose of the soul of Matthew B. His suffering is over and we pray that his family is feeling Our Lord’s consolation and Love. Eternal rest grant unto him Oh Lord.

March 5, 2024 at 08:24 AM

Thank you, Jennifer for sending me just what I needed to read this morning! Your words soothed me like warm sunshine. And to Vicky G, after reading Jane’s comment this morning, I had to go back and read your testimony from yesterday. Wow! You bolstered my spirit. God is so good and His timing is impeccable! Thank you!

March 5, 2024 at 08:22 AM

"God in his great mercy and she in her littleness were a perfect match" - brilliant! Let me always remember this! Thank you, Jennifer

peggyR
March 5, 2024 at 04:43 PM

Forgive me, Christine. My head’s not totally screwed on right today.

peggyR
March 5, 2024 at 04:41 PM

My sentiments exactly, Jennifer. The Little Flower of Jesus had it just right.

March 5, 2024 at 08:05 AM

Amen. :)

March 5, 2024 at 06:58 AM

Thank you Jennifer - beautiful reflection. I often wonder if I am asking for too much and then I ask anyway. God sees our heart, for better or worse. The gospel today was about forgiveness (70 x 7) and I felt as though God was speaking to me, as I awoke from a dream where it was clear that I had still not forgiven a previous boss. Forgive for what? I’m not even sure I can articulate it, but ultimately it was probably inflexibility/rigidity and for being a product of his environment. Today in Matthew Kelly’s Radical and Relevant reflection, he encourages us to understand that there are times when we are called to forgive someone for the same thing, more than once. It isn’t always once and done - I felt relieved. I feel as though I’m being called to forgive him again. Lord thank you for your help here and thank you for the mercy you’ve shown to me. Allow me to show it to others. Vicky G, your personal story yesterday was so moving. Thanks for sharing! Continued prayers for Carl, Maryanne, Stephanie, Cass, Karen, Ellen and Roman. Amen.

March 5, 2024 at 06:42 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to all those suffering in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

March 5, 2024 at 06:16 AM

Amen... thank you Lord

March 5, 2024 at 06:10 AM

Amen :)

March 5, 2024 at 04:17 AM

Thank you, Jennifer. My thoughts, exactly. How can we help others if we don't ask for gifts ourselves sometimes. My needs and asks are small, though. Maybe find a good desert or navigate traffic smoothly across town... Been very busy the last few days. Hope I didn't miss anyone's birthday/anniversary. That said, offering up sincere prayers for those celebrating this March. Including 'A sinner's' for everyone, again. Amen! Thank you, Holy Father, for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you, Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Rita
March 5, 2024 at 02:37 PM

Bill, thank you for posting A Sinner's prayer. Blessings to all. Rita

jane
March 5, 2024 at 06:46 AM

Thanks for re-posting that Bill L and for the special birthday anniversary wishes in March. Also, love the reference to the desert of a traffic jam. I was in the desert of jury duty waiting yesterday (not called). Amen.

Sun light rays or beams bursting from the clouds on a blue sky. Image by t0m15 | stock.adobe.com