January 30, 2024
The Grace of Encountering Jesus
Then he put them all out. He took along the child’s father and mother and those who were with him and entered the room where the child was.
Mark 5:40

The Gospel passage for Mass today is rich with healing, compassion and even a little drama. It also illuminates some ways that Jesus works in our lives—surprisingly boldly, but also privately, in the quiet.

Entering the scene of the child who has died, Jesus repeatedly sends idle and curious onlookers away and then commands secrecy about the miracle. Before this, in the midst of a crowd but still privately, he had healed a suffering woman.

“Pictures, or it didn’t happen!” Funny, but that’s how we often feel, isn’t it? Well, witnessing to God’s grace is essential. But that witness begins with what the Lord does for us—and for every person—in the grace of encounter in personal, quiet ways.

Jesus, I welcome your healing grace, now, in this moment.

- Amy Welborn

2 Samuel 18:9-10, 14b, 24-25a, 30—19:3 • Psalm 86:1-6 • Mark 5:21-43
Youthful woman in silhouette in front of sunset or sunrise. Image by azur13 | stock.adobe.com

Comments

January 31, 2024 at 07:23 AM

My life has been surrounded by stories of miracles that began with my grandfather who was born blind. His mother took an into a church in Iraq where he was born. He was complaining of how headache and she asked if he could rest. She was directed to lay him behind the altar. He fell asleep and he had a dream. In the dream an angel told him he could see. When he awoke he could see. I am so grateful to God for my faith. My life is rooted in the many stories within the Bible of Jesus and the miracles he performed. Prayers and miracles continue in my life today. Thank you ????????

jane
January 31, 2024 at 07:25 AM

Beautiful!

January 30, 2024 at 09:45 PM

Thank You Father in Heaven for the healing love of Your Son Jesus Amen Amen Amen

January 30, 2024 at 08:14 PM

I related to the readings today in a very deep and intimate way. I lost my 31 year old son, Marjoe, to a drug overdose in April of 2010. It was a day I have replayed in my mind a million times. I had prayed for a miracle in my son's life, begging God for his healing from addiction. Tonight at Mass, I was the lector, and as I read the words, "My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you, Absalom, my son, my son!", I stopped for a second to regain my thoughts, as I could literally feel the pain of the words. In these past nearly 14 years, I have experienced God's mercy , strength and peace in a way that I had never experienced before. He has guided me, held me, comforted me, and stood by me when I did not have the strength to take the next step. He put a passion in my heart like I had never felt before, and from that passion, "Never Let Go Ministries" was born. God's grace has been poured upon me and my family, and through the ministry that He began for us, we can now share His grace with others we meet on this journey of life. He has been my rock, and I could have never gotten through these past years had it not been for His mercy and grace. My son was not healed as the woman, or the little girl, were in the Gospel reading today, but I believe his healing came in a different way. I praise God for every breath I take, and for every ounce of strength He has given me. His "healing grace" has come in ways I would have never imagined was possible.

jane
January 31, 2024 at 07:25 AM

Mary, thank you for sharing this deeply moving and beautiful story. Thank you for your generosity of spirit you have shown with your ministry. It matters. You are making a difference and a huge impact in people’s lives. Marjoe mattered. Continued growth to your ministry. Amen. ????

peggyR
January 30, 2024 at 09:50 PM

Dear Mary, I really don’t know where to begin. First and foremost, as a Mother of a son about your son’s age, your heart must be wounded beyond belief. And yet you allowed Jesus to heal you and in turn, you’ve created a ministry to help and support parents and families who have lost children and family members to give them hope and strength for each day. Your story is so heartfelt and I pray that Our Lord continues to give you that passion that is needed to keep up this most important ministry. May you be blessed with His Love every day of your life. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

January 30, 2024 at 06:20 PM

Salina Smith Bible Study Fellowship Prayer Requests 01/30/24 *** Students – Pray that the students learn to be a servant of God to serve others through Jesus’ example of feet washing! John 13:14-15, “I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet. So you also should wash one another’s feet. I have given you an example. You should do as I have done for you!” Matthew 20:28 (Mark 10:45), “Be like the Son of Man. He did not come to be served. Instead, He came to serve others. He came to give His life as the price for setting many people free!” *** Salina - Praise God for the development of COVID antibodies in me and Matt! Pray for wisdom to balance rest and work activities for complete energy level recovery! Pray for wisdom and discernment as a servant of God in providing suggestions and ideas at youth group drawing youth and equipping youth! Pray for Jessi in the next 5 months (working with her ex) be filled with hope in God, joy of the Lord, peace only comes from Jesus and the power/presence of the Holy Spirit in all the preparations, procedures and Q&As! Romans 15:13, “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit!”

January 30, 2024 at 04:53 PM

*** Did you know the little girl, Jairus’ daughter was 12 years old when she died in Luke 8:42, “His only daughter, who was about twelve years old, was dying. As Jesus went with him, He was surrounded by the crowds!” *** The woman who touched Jesus suffered bleeding for 12 years in Luke 8:43,” A woman in the crowd had suffered for twelve years with constant bleeding, and she could find no cure!” *** Coincident? I don’t think so! Jesus cured them both in Luke 8:44, 53-55, “Coming up behind Jesus, she touched the fringe of His robe. Immediately, the bleeding stopped…But the crowd laughed at Him because they all knew she had died. Then Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, “My child, get up!” And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up! Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat!” ******* Do you think Jesus didn’t know who touched Him? Do you think Jesus didn’t know the girl would die while He was on His way? Why didn’t Jesus prevent all these bad things from happening in the first place ? *** Let’s look at what happened to Lazarus in John 11:3, 5-6, “So the two sisters sent a message to Jesus telling Him, “Lord, your dear friend is very sick.” So although Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, He stayed where He was for the next two days!” *** Then Lazarus died and here is what Jesus told His disciple in John 11:14-15, “So He told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now you will really believe. Come, let’s go see him.” *** Jesus waited until Lazarus was dead for 4 days before He went to him…Everything happens, good bad or ugly, so we will believe!!! ******* Do you believe in Jesus when bad things happen to you or your loved ones???

January 30, 2024 at 04:42 PM

Dear Living Faith Family: I found this site a few years ago when my new Living Faith booklet accidentally wound up in the paper recycling bin and was gone long before I realized it. God's gift to me?? Unwilling to do without the Living Faith daily reflections, I went online and found this wonderful site. I visit here every day - usually in the late evening on the East Coast - and I read all of your comments and keep all of you and your intentions in my prayers. Your love for each other keeps me going. Many times I sit here at my computer with tears running down my face. Thank you all for your love for each other. I love you all! Ria

T W
January 30, 2024 at 05:00 PM

Ria, Praise God for your warm and loving heart! Your words are wise, thoughtful and encouraging! Continue to be Blessed and a Blessing!

January 30, 2024 at 03:30 PM

Salina, such wonderful news about Jessi. Praise to our Lord, Jesus Christ.

January 30, 2024 at 10:15 AM

Amy, I absolutely ALWAYS know when I start reading, that it was authored by you! I read on another site this morning, words that brightened the light! With words to the effect that God didn’t give me cancer, He gave me the “opportunity” to speak to me, and yet more clarity came to me on my journey. It was quite some time ago, and it took me awhile, but I heard Him! Today’s Gospel is the scripture that got me beyond the word cancer and gave me hope. I would envision myself as that woman who believed that if I only touched the hem of His garment I would be healed. I was not immediately healed physically, but one glorious day, my heart and soul were truly filled with His peace, and I knew it, I had changed my prayers and asked only for His peace…beautiful answered prayers! God Bless Us All And All Who We Love.

Amy Welborn
January 30, 2024 at 07:50 PM

Well, thank you! I appreciate your kind words!

Juan Q.
January 30, 2024 at 03:39 PM

I am a firm believer that everything that takes place in our lives happens for a reason. At the moment when we make a decision on a particular subject, we may not know the consequences of our actions until much later. A case in point is the 20th Anniversary of my quintuple bypass open heart surgery. In my subconscious I had an inner voice advising me to retire, that it was in my best interest. I put my whole trust in that inner voice that was coming from God because of my Catholic upbringing at home and my Catholic education at St. Augustine School and later at St. Mary's University convinced me to listen to it because it could be my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is always at my side and watching over me. Yes, indeed, I was given a second lease on life and my Almighty God performed a fantastic miracle in my life 20 years ago. And I am going to continue using the gift of writing that God has given me. Writing is also a way of connecting with God, as I seek His guidance and inspiration in every word I write. Writing is a blessing that I do not take for granted but cherish and nurture with practice and dedication. And I praise God every day for the opportunity to write and share His love and truth.

January 30, 2024 at 09:54 AM

Hi Salina, just read the excellent report from Jessi’s instructors. My, you must be so proud! Congrats to you and your husband for your unwavering support to your daughter and many thanks to Our Lord Jesus for His love and for the intercession of the Holy Spirit for enlightening her mind. Jessi deserves credit in this case as well. Enjoy the moment!

January 30, 2024 at 09:34 AM

During bleak times or when I feel like I’m just going through the motions in prayer, if I surrender, often surprising things happen. Like Sunday at Mass when the deacon was holding the chalice, a red colorful spark was there on the chalice. I thought wow did I see that. As if to help my doubting heart, it appeared again—assurance to me that God is with us.

January 30, 2024 at 09:10 AM

Amy love your words, they give so much positive reflection. I always look forward to them. LFF you all are an inspiration with your words each day. Joe that misspelled email, Jane your wonderful words and prayers, Cheryl for your words of encouragement, Judith's story, Nancy's words of support, Ken, Bill, Peggy, and all who write on LFF with the faith of God to share. I have lost myself a bit and all of you have kept me going whether you know it or not. Each and everyone of you may not realize how inspiring you are. The comfort of the words you share and knowing that others are out there reading LFF everyday just like me. We're not as alone as I feared! Blessings to all the LFF, for those struggling, those that have gone to see our Lord and all who don't even know they are doing God's work. May we all go out and spread the love and word of God to all.

Amy Welborn
January 30, 2024 at 09:24 AM

Thank you for your kind words!

January 30, 2024 at 09:10 AM

January 30, 2024 at 08:03 AM

Amen. :)

January 30, 2024 at 07:24 AM

Spot on Amy. Sometimes I am my own doubting Thomas with, “Did that just happen?” Other times it’s not until I do a look back to reflect on the fact that it was totally God working in my life. So grateful for that presence. Good morning Stormy…we’re walking with you! Hello Vincent, hope all is well. Lifting our community today!

Amy Welborn
January 30, 2024 at 08:09 AM

Absolutely - and thank you for your comment!

Nancy
January 30, 2024 at 07:57 AM

Amy thank you for reminding us of God's infinite ways to answer prayers and bless us. May we see God's mercies and miracles in each day. Jane may you and your family feel the comfort of God with the passing of Danny. He is healed and rejoicing with Jesus. Have a blessed day.

January 30, 2024 at 07:21 AM

Lord please hear our prayers and bring your light to those in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

January 30, 2024 at 07:07 AM

My dad's nickname for me was Jude. At the end of one of those days when everything went wrong , I was walking out of a repair shop when over the innercom I heatd the song "Hey Jude." I think that was a communication from above. My spirits were lifted!

January 30, 2024 at 06:40 AM

Thank you Amy for such a great reflection. It can be as simple as God keeping us from sending an email with foolish spelling errors which can cause some embarrassment or the car accident that is prevented by Him with you missing out on collision by some miracle. Whatever the case is, God as they say works in mysterious and wonderful ways. Sometimes it’s blatantly evident and sometimes it rings a loud bell but remembering His Grace and protection in the small and big things is something I must remind myself of many times during the day. Gratitude is key!

Amy Welborn
January 30, 2024 at 08:09 AM

Agreed!

January 30, 2024 at 06:27 AM

Amen :)

January 30, 2024 at 04:34 AM

Thank you Amy... Lord, I witness day after day all you do in my life... continue to give me the strength, through your Grace, to do what you require of me...Stormy and Gail, you will be great, our Lord's got you... blessings to all LFF