December 30, 2023
Sixth Day within the Octave of Christmas
The Beauty of Old and New
There was a prophetess, Anna…
Luke 2:36

I birthed my last child at the age of 44, so when he got to school, I may not have been as old as the prophetess Anna, but I certainly was older than most of the other parents.

I was grateful though. Not only for my son for his own sake but also because having a child around does keep you young and more balanced.

For we need both, don’t we? We need the wisdom of the experienced, and we need the energy and the idealism of the young. Without the young around, we can become settled and cynical. Without their elders’ long view, youthful idealism can veer off course.

In this moment in the Temple, we see this truth, the beauty of old and new, present together, revealing something that makes us whole: The aged prophetess recognizes God’s ancient wisdom and truth in the face of the brand-new Child.

Loving God, ever ancient, ever new, I welcome you into my heart.

- Amy Welborn

1 John 2:12-17 • Psalm 96:7-10 • Luke 2:36-40

Comments

December 30, 2023 at 07:59 PM

Thank you Father in Heaven for the gift of my children and my husband Tom. I love You Amen Amen Amen

December 30, 2023 at 01:10 PM

Only with the wisdom of God and His Holy Spirit, we can stay away from becoming settled and cynical being old or veering off course being young!!! His very wisdom in Him and His Word... *** First and foremost, come to Jesus and your sins are forgiven paid for by the blood of Jesus in 1 John 2:12, 14a, "Dear children (of God, both young and old), I’m writing to you because your sins have been forgiven. They have been forgiven because of what Jesus has done!... Dear children, I’m writing to you because you know (God) the Father. *** Wisdom for the old - know God in 1 John 2:13a, 14b, "Fathers, I’m writing to you because you know the One Who is from the beginning...Fathers, I’m writing to you because you know the One Who is from the beginning!" *** Wisdom for the young - know God, know His Word then you will win over the evil one in 1 John 2:13b, 14c, "Young men, I’m writing to you because you have won the battle over the evil one...Young men, I’m writing to you because you are strong. God’s Word lives in you. You have won the battle over the evil one!" ******* Wisdom for all - do not love the world and its sinful desires in 1 John 2:15-17, "Do not love the world or anything in it. If anyone loves the world, love for (God) the Father is not in them. Here is what people who belong to this world do. They try to satisfy what their sinful desires want to do. They long for what their sinful eyes look at. They take pride in what they have and what they do. All of this comes from the world. None of it comes from the Father. The world and its evil desires are passing away. But whoever does what God wants them to do lives forever!" *** I have met old people who do not have the wisdom of God and I have met young people who have the wisodm of God! *** James 1:5-6a, "If any of you (old or young) needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He will give it to you. God gives freely to everyone and doesn’t find fault. But when you ask, you must believe. You must not doubt!" *** Proverbs 9:10, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding!" Psalm 111:10, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow His precepts have good understanding. To Him belongs eternal praise!" Amen!!!

December 30, 2023 at 12:53 PM

I love the picture of the snowman raising his hands in joy to heaven. It makes me smile. I also love Amy’s quote “ Loving God, ever ancient, ever new, come into my heart.” This will be a prayer to carry into the New Year.

December 30, 2023 at 11:36 AM

Amen. :)

December 30, 2023 at 10:51 AM

Thank you, Amy! Ah yes, the spontaneity of the little ones, and the calm wisdom of the elders and everything in between. Thank you, Lord Jesus for being with us through all stages of life. Happy Last weekend of 2023 to all my LFF friends. Good morning Vincent and a sinner.

December 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM

Amy! I loved "ever ancient, ever new"! I'm feeling much closer to ancient these daze (!) but trusting that God will take me gently into His good night. We weren't blessed with children, and I was a "limited edition", but we were blessed with Godchildren, and I vividly remember the energy and pure joy they brought into our lives! Honestly, they are both struggling today and it's such a sweet gift to get a call from them to "talk" about something that's happened in their lives. God Bless Us ALL And ALL Who We Love.

December 30, 2023 at 11:44 AM

Pam loved "limited ???? edition " I was one for five years before my sister came. Amy what a great reflection this morning. I totally agree children keep you young. 18 years teaching and coaching, high school children the over twenty years with my 2nd graders. Spoiling my 5 grandchildren, what a wonderful time. Got Mt best Christmas gift ever my youngest daughter asked my oldest son to be a godfather for Myla her 5 month old daughter. Keep praying for Carl and his mother Maryanne and Stephanie and Christine and the souls in purgatory. Ken

December 30, 2023 at 09:39 AM

December 30, 2023 at 09:35 AM

Amy how wonderful are your thoughts. There was a time when the young took care of the old and families stayed together to raise and help through all their years. I currently live in a community where the young are running out the old and they love money more that family. To love and respect all would bring back unity and cohesiveness to our world. Ah what a thing that would be. :) Blessings to all the LFF. May all those needing a helping hand right now get it and may we all go out and share the love of God throughout the world and bring back that shared love young and old.

December 30, 2023 at 09:00 AM

Thank you Amy. I, too had my last child at almost 42 and was clearly one of the more experienced mothers in his grade! At school, it provided me with a different perspective than those going through the experience the first time with their oldest child. The differing energy and wisdom of the varying seasons are so necessary for us to progress our lives. As we age, we rely on the vigor of others to continuing ploughing God’s path forward and the wisdome of the experienced to keep us on the path. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. Amen.

Amy Welborn
December 30, 2023 at 10:58 AM

Thank you for your comment! I think we gain so much from a mix of ages - and so do our children!

December 30, 2023 at 08:51 AM

Lord who brings us from the darkness into light, please hear our prayers for those in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia, the Sudan, and all those suffering around the world - also for their strength, courage and resilience to continue walking in faith. Send them your light. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in need and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace and rebuilding– we who are working towards it and for all those who are suffering or in danger from conflicts. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

December 30, 2023 at 08:47 AM

Thank you Amy for this commentary on how each stage of life brings its gifts for the good of all and when it is all in balance, peace and order prevail. Lord God we pray for peace to be restored to our troubled world.

December 30, 2023 at 08:23 AM

Having just said farewell to five grandchildren, your words Amy really resonate with me. It’s so true we need the blend of young and old. I admit I’m sitting watching a football game as I write this. It’s quiet and I’m relaxed, but laughing at some of the antics over Christmas and in truth missing the fun and frenetic energy of it all.

Amy Welborn
December 30, 2023 at 10:57 AM

Thank you for your kind words - and Happy New Year!

December 30, 2023 at 08:17 AM

Morning Amy... thanks for sharing and giving this perspective on how the young and old can complement each other

December 30, 2023 at 08:16 AM

Amen :)

Happy snowman standing in winter Christmas landscape with snow background. Image by Lilya | stock.adobe.com