November 23, 2023
St. Clement I, St. Columban, Bl. Miguel Agustín Pro; Thanksgiving Day, U.S.A
Bless the Lord of All
Let all your works give you thanks, O LORD,
and let your faithful ones bless you.
Psalm 145:10

I was sitting on a plane, waiting to take off on a flight across the ocean. A long flight. The seat next to me was empty. Passengers streamed in. Still empty. I grew hopeful. Was I going to luck out and have the row to myself for those eight hours? How thankful I would be if that were so! Please, please…thank you, thank you!

Well, too bad. Here she comes. “Thank goodness I made it!” she said. It humbled me to think that if my wish had come true (dare I say prayers answered), my gratitude would be at the price of another’s suffering.

What complicated layers there are to life, and what a challenge on this day, perhaps, to let my Thanksgiving prayers grow out of a stance that’s wider and broader than my own needs and embraces concern and compassion for all.

Lord of all, I give you thanks.

- Amy Welborn

1 Maccabees 2:15-29 • Psalm 50:1-2, 5-6, 14-15 • Luke 19:41-44 • Lectionary: 943-947
Thanksgiving cornucopia table setting centerpiece decorated with autumn leaves, fruit, nuts and burning candles. Photo by mille flore images | stock.adobe.com

Comments

November 23, 2023 at 08:35 PM

Thank You Father in Heaven for bringing me closer to Your Ways for my life Amen Amen Amen

November 23, 2023 at 06:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Living Faith Family, With a grateful heart give thanks to The Father, Our Provider. Blessings all.

November 23, 2023 at 12:39 PM

Take time today to reflect on how good God has been, is, and going to be to you. Most of all, Who He Is, the One who made this Thanksgiving and each day possible. Have a Wonderful and Very Blessed Day!

November 23, 2023 at 10:57 AM

Amy I loved the wider stance concept. Remind me of "man plans and God laughs. " Amy your contributions to this site always is special to me and I know the others in the living faith family. Thank you. Living faith family have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving we are so lucky in the USA to have freedom to worship, speak and I hope to respect others. Ken

November 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM

Amen. :) Happy Thanksgiving, LF Family!

November 23, 2023 at 10:31 AM

*** Why? did Jesus weep at the sight of Jerusalem city and what? would bring them peace that they didn't see in Luke 19:41-42, "He approached Jerusalem. When He saw the city, he began to weep. He said, “I wish you had known today what would bring you peace! But now it is hidden from your eyes.!" *** Here is the why Jesus weeped at the sight of Jerusalem city in Luke 19:43, "The days will come when your enemies will arrive. They will build a wall of dirt up against your city. They will surround you and close you in on every side!" How many times has it happened to Jerusalem city? *** Here is the what would bring them peace that they didn't see in Luke 19:44, "You didn’t recognize the time when God came to you. So your enemies will smash you to the ground. They will destroy you and all the people inside your walls. They will not leave one stone on top of another.” How long before they (we) will recognize Jesus is the Son of God, the Messiah, spoken by the prophets of long ago? ******* How long before we recognize the true and lasting peace can only come from knowing Jesus, the Son of God, God Himself, the promised Messiah spoken by the prophets long ago? *** An ice breaker for our BSF student leaders fellowship was, "What are three things you are thankful for this Thanksgiving?" My answers: For knowing Jesus, for knowing Jesus more, and for knowing Jesus more and more!!! *** The only peace for any hate or division or war is for each and everyone to know Jesus Himself, and there is no other way to peace but Jesus, the Prince of Peace!!! *** Isaiah 45:22-24, "“All you who live anywhere on earth, turn to Me and be saved. I am God. There is no other God. I have made a promise in My own Name. I have spoken with complete honesty. I will not take back a single word. I said, ‘Everyone will kneel down to Me. Everyone’s mouth will make promises in My Name.’ They will say, ‘The Lord is the only One Who can save us. Only He can make us strong.’ ” All those who have been angry with the Lord will come to Him. And they will be put to shame!" ******* Philippians 2:9-11, "So God lifted Him up to the highest place. God gave Him the Name that is above every name. When the name of Jesus is spoken, everyone will kneel down to worship Him. Everyone in heaven and on earth and under the earth will kneel down to worship Him. Everyone’s mouth will say that Jesus Christ is Lord. And God the Father will receive the glory!" Amen ✝️

November 23, 2023 at 09:50 AM

Thank you Amy, for sharing your wisdom. Just recently has God begun to make me aware of things I have almost prayed to happen (local regional hospital to close due to gross incompetence), but then He tells me there are many people who are unable to travel an hour to a hospital and instead to pray for improved quality where needed and to be thankful for the many good people and programs the hospital offers. Happy Thanksgiving to LFF and thanks for sharing God's love!

November 23, 2023 at 09:15 AM

Many Thanks to you Amy for all your uplifting and inspiring reflections over the years. May the Lord bless you and your family abundantly on this day of Thanksgiving. And to all in the Living Faith Family, many thanks for your encouragement and prayers as we continue to add more flowers to our prayer garden every day. Lord Jesus, thank you for all your blessings to myself and my family and please continue to shine your light on the world to keep us hopeful of your love for all humanity.

Amy Welborn
November 23, 2023 at 09:46 AM

Thank you so much, and a blessed Thanksgiving to you!

November 23, 2023 at 09:02 AM

This site, the meditations provided and especially the family of people who read, sometimes comment and always pray are truly a thing for which to be grateful! The fellowship here is uplifting and supportive surely guided by The Holy Spirit. May each of you feel love on this day wherever you are and in whatever country you live and may you join in giving thanks for that love and for the daily care in Spirit we all find here. God’s blessings to all today!

Cheryl
November 23, 2023 at 08:14 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...thanks Vicky, yours was such wonderful reflection

Kathy J
November 23, 2023 at 09:14 AM

Beautifully said Vicky G! I’m thankful each morning for you all and for the opportunity to come to this sight and follow along❤️ Happy Thanksgiving❤️

November 23, 2023 at 09:02 AM

I am thankful for the LFF for another year of praying together. Have a blessed and beautiful day.

November 23, 2023 at 08:38 AM

Amen Amen Amen God bless you all Happy Thanksgiving to you all remember to give God his thanks today.

November 23, 2023 at 08:19 AM

Happy, Blessed Thanksgiving, LFF and your families and friends. Safe Travels.

November 23, 2023 at 07:01 AM

Amen : ) Happy Thanksgiving Living Faith Family :)

November 23, 2023 at 06:50 AM

Happy Thanksgiving LFF.☮️????????

November 23, 2023 at 06:37 AM

Lord thank you for your many blessings. Prayers for all who are in need today Happy Thanksgiving to all of the LFF

November 23, 2023 at 05:17 AM

Amy, you have touched our lives through pray for so many years. My family is thankful for your touching reminder this Thanksgiving. God Bless You and everyone at Living Family!

Amy Welborn
November 23, 2023 at 09:46 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words!

November 23, 2023 at 04:41 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Living Faith Family.

November 23, 2023 at 03:50 AM

I hope it turned out to be a pleasant experience for you after all, Amy. So much to be thankful for this year. Health, happiness and family! May you all have a great thanksgiving as we remember to continue to offer our prayers and support to those in need, those in danger and those who have no hope. Bill

November 23, 2023 at 02:59 AM

10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord) by Matt Redman https://youtu.be/DXDGE_lRI0E?si=E9ph8D5ICyv1DBH5