August 21, 2023
St. Pius X
Making Space
All these I have observed. What do I still lack?
Matthew 19:20

When we read the response of the young man to Jesus, we may feel humbled. Humility is, after all, knowing the rightness of one’s place before God. The young man’s comments might lead us to wonder if we would ever be able to proclaim, as he did, that we have observed every aspect of every one of the commandments every single moment of our lives.

Jesus’ response hints that being perfect in the eyes of the Holy is more than calculating our heavenly credit score. Perhaps what is needed is a decluttering of whatever stands in the way of our more clearly seeing the Holy in our lives. We might offer a sharing of our resources with those who are vulnerable, fragile and struggling. A letting go of resentments or grudges that take up residence in our hearts. A making space for a more generous worldview that welcomes everyone.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, I.H.M.

Judges 2:11-19 • Psalm 106:34-37, 39-40, 43-44 • Matthew 19:16-22
Sun setting over the water with some tall grass in the foreground. Photo by Shanti | Adobe Stock

Comments

August 21, 2023 at 11:29 AM

I would like it to be more specific in: A making space for a Christian worldview that welcomes everyone as Jesus did! *** What is a Christian Worldview? https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-worldview.html *** Why do so many Christians not have a consistently biblical worldview? https://www.gotquestions.org/biblical-worldview.html *** I bought multiple copies of Faithfully Different for high school graduates and college students that I know :-) What are the consequences of a secular worldview? With Natasha Crain - Podcast Episode 70 https://podcast.gotquestions.org/episode-70.html ******* Today's reading as it was for the past few days, I keep hearing the warning message of idolatry of worshipping other gods!!! *** Judges 2:11-13, "The Israelites did what was evil in the sight of the Lord. They served gods that were named Baal. They deserted the Lord, the God of their people. He had brought them out of Egypt. But now the Israelites served other gods and worshiped them. They served the gods of the nations that were around them. They made the Lord angry because they deserted Him. They served Baal. They also served female gods that were named Ashtoreth." *** Matthew 19:21-22, "Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have. Give the money to those who are poor. You will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow Me.” When the young man heard this, he went away sad. He was very rich." *** The Israelites placed other gods above the one true God :-( The rich young man placed wealth above the one true God :-( ******* What is the social gospel?, "The social gospel is related to theological liberalism. A theologian who lived during the peak of the social gospel movement described the message of the social gospel this way: “A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross” (Niebuhr, H. Richard, The Kingdom of God in America, Harper & Row, 1937, p. 193). According to the social gospel, the betterment of society equals salvation. People are basically good, as seen by the social gospel, and society is gradually becoming more moral. If we feed enough people, educate enough children, dig enough wells, and redistribute enough wealth, then we will see God’s kingdom manifest. If we preach enough love, justice, brotherhood, and goodwill toward men, then the remnants of greed and selfishness in mankind will be overwhelmed and give way to goodness." https://www.gotquestions.org/social-gospel.html *** "Not because of who I am But because of what You've done Not because of what I've done But because of Who You are!" Who Am I by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/mBcqria2wmg

August 21, 2023 at 10:11 AM

Beautiful reflection, Sister Chris! Echoing “ a worldview that accepts everyone.” Continued prayers for the suffering in Ukraine and Sudan, the victims in Hawaii and all the lonely people who need a little Love in their lives.

August 21, 2023 at 10:02 AM

Beautiful! Only with God’s mercy can we attain eternal life. There are so many needs in our world today. Find one that truly resonates in your heart.

August 21, 2023 at 09:23 AM

AMEN!

August 21, 2023 at 08:52 AM

Beautifully said Sr. Chris!! ☮️

August 21, 2023 at 08:25 AM

August 21, 2023 at 08:24 AM

Sr. Kris, I love the comment about calculating our heavenly credit score. May God grant me what I need to declutter my heart, I want to stay humble and be present to others and allow them to feel His presence in their life, too. Continued prayers for Joann’s sister in law Debbi, Kathy J’s mother, Parker’s family, Beth and her family as well as Anthony, Stephanie, Christine and Terry. Happy Monday LFF.

August 21, 2023 at 08:11 AM

Amen. :)

August 21, 2023 at 08:09 AM

Continued prayers for the Ukraine and the Sudan. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine and Sudan. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and Sudan and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God please help those in most need of thy mercy. Amen

August 21, 2023 at 07:48 AM

It is so hard. I know that my mind wonders which therefore does take up space in my heart. I am trying to let go and we'll aware of this. I humbly ask God to forgive me so I can focus more clearly. Amen

August 21, 2023 at 07:46 AM

Amen that is what we need mostly is a acceptance of all people God bless you all.

August 21, 2023 at 06:15 AM

Amen :) Thank you Chris "a more generous worldview that accepts everyone"