September 27, 2022
St. Vincent de Paul
Picture Jesus
On the way they entered a Samaritan village to prepare for his reception there, but they would not welcome him because the destination of his journey was Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to consume them?” Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they journeyed to another village.
Luke 9:52b-56

Samaria was the territory between Judea and Galilee west of the Jordan River. For ethnic and religious reasons, the Samaritans and the Jews were bitterly opposed to one another. In our world today, many people are bitterly opposed to each other. From polarizing differences to furious disagreements, many find themselves unwelcomed.

I am trying to rebuke the part of me that wants to respond by firing an angry response toward those whose views and behavior express contempt for something I value. I try to picture Jesus looking at them, and me, lovingly. And then I move on with my journey.

Jesus, help me refrain from counterattack by connecting with your love.

- Patricia Livingston

Job 3:1-3, 11-17, 20-23 • Psalm 88:2-8 • Luke 9:51-56

Comments

September 27, 2022 at 04:45 PM

Those darn apostles. Always trying to handle it themselves! 'We got this, Jesus'. When in fact He knew the whole situation. There are many people that you meet that on a sunny day they will try to convince you that it is nighttime. And anything you say won't change their opinions. Jesus knew this and he was OK with it. He had the right solution. 'Let's just move along to the next town'. Praying for those in Florida these next few days. Daughter out of the pathway. Should only get some heavy rain bands.

September 27, 2022 at 03:10 PM

Salina, there is nothing wrong with righteous anger. Even Jesus felt it when he drove the money changers from the Temple for desecrating His Father’s house. He didn’t hurt anyone, but he was upset and showed it!

September 27, 2022 at 01:31 PM

I wonder if Jesus will rebuke me today as I am angry at the arrest of Mark Houck, co-founder and president of the Catholic ministry The King’s Men, which aims to give spiritual formation to Catholic men? https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/252380/fbi-raids-home-of-pro-life-leader-on-questionable-charges *** Jesus did not defend Himself, but He did get mad/angry twice recorded in Scripture when it came to His Father’s business in Matthew 21:12-13, Mark 11:15-18, Luke 19:45-46, and John 2:13-17 How many times did Jesus cleanse the temple? https://www.gotquestions.org/temple-cleanse.html *** Matthew 21:12-13, “ Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. “It is written,” He said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’” *** John 2:14-16, “ In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” ******* Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.” *** I see Jesus looking at me as I suggest to go around this conflict, “Is this how you justify your inaction, Salina?” *** Luke 2:48:50, “When His parents (Mary and Joseph) saw Him (Jesus), they were astonished. His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for You.” “Why were you searching for Me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in My Father’s house?” But they did not understand what He was saying to them.” *** John 5:19, “Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by Himself; He can do only what He sees His Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.” *** John 12:49, “For I did not speak on My own, but the Father Who sent Me commanded Me to say all that I have spoken.” ******* I trust and obey for there is no other way…to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey :-) https://youtu.be/R0S8Z-dMM40 Amen!

September 27, 2022 at 10:20 AM

September 27, 2022 at 09:30 AM

AMEN!!

September 27, 2022 at 09:19 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

September 27, 2022 at 08:53 AM

September 27, 2022 at 08:26 AM

Amen…

September 27, 2022 at 08:14 AM

Amen. :)

September 27, 2022 at 06:44 AM

September 27, 2022 at 06:14 AM

Good morning LFF...thanks Patricia for this profound and important reflection...I need to take heed of this today and those days ahead

Patrick
September 27, 2022 at 08:43 AM

Yes indeed Patricia, a very important message, very well put. Jesus advised us to shake off the dust in certain circumstances and move on. The Lord has many harvests requiring attention. Thank you.