August 29, 2022
The Passion of St. John the Baptist
The Pitfalls of Pride
She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?” She replied, “The head of John the Baptist.”
Mark 6:24

Herodias is infamous as a manipulative, bitter and wicked woman, but I’d argue she wasn’t the best mother either. Not only did she plot to have John the Baptist killed to silence him, she used her own daughter to get the brutal job done. Few parents will employ their children as pawns in such a deadly game.

Yet I know it’s tempting to use my children to gain personal glory. Maybe we once dreamt of being an athlete, so now we put too much pressure on our children to be the star player. Or we widely share every child’s accomplishment on social media, inadvertently making others feel badly about their own children who never win science fair competitions or aren’t brilliant artists.

My hope is that my heartfelt concern for my children’s character and their happiness will never be overshadowed by my own concern for my pride or reputation.

- Kate Wicker

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 • Psalm 119:97-102 • Mark 6:17-29

Comments

August 29, 2022 at 09:51 PM

I wish you had an option where one could share reflections on FB because I would share this one.

August 29, 2022 at 10:45 AM

Wow! Kate nicely said and encouraging! Be Blessed!!!

August 29, 2022 at 10:10 AM

August 29, 2022 at 09:53 AM

August 29, 2022 at 09:47 AM

Thank you for a thoughtful and insightful reflection, Kate. Really…. social media can get to be way too much

August 29, 2022 at 08:08 AM

Pride goes like this for me...I can talk to or bring someone to the Lord; I can do good work and being a good Christian to go to heaven; I can partner with Jesus in church ministries; I can show others what a good Christian I am; I can quote Bible verses to show how to be a good Christian and earn God's favor or Salvation; I can answer God's call to serve others so I can have a seat in heaven; Jesus needs me to do this or that for His Kingdom *** The truth is I can do nothing to add to God's grace and mercy and Salvation, free gifts with no work involved from me except the blood of Christ on the cross! No amount of good work or goodness will be enough to go to heaven! " *** "Why is pride so sinful? Pride is giving ourselves the credit for something that God has accomplished. Pride is taking the glory that belongs to God alone and keeping it for ourselves. Pride is essentially self-worship. Anything we accomplish in this world would not have been possible were it not for God enabling and sustaining us." https://www.gotquestions.org/pride-Bible.html *** Paul said it well in 1 Corithians 2:1-5 (The Message), "You’ll remember, friends, that when I first came to you to let you in on God’s sheer genius, I didn’t try to impress you with polished speeches and the latest philosophy. I deliberately kept it plain and simple: first Jesus and Who He is (God); then Jesus and what He did—Jesus crucified. I was unsure of how to go about this, and felt totally inadequate—I was scared to death, if you want the truth of it—and so nothing I said could have impressed you or anyone else. But the Message came through anyway. God’s Spirit and God’s power did it, which made it clear that your life of faith is a response to God’s power, not to some fancy mental or emotional footwork by me or anyone else." ******* Pride for me is when I think I can take (join in with) credit or receive favor for what God Himself is doing in and through me :-( Ephesians 2:8-10...For it is by grace I have been saved, through faith—and this is not from myself, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that I cannot boast. For I am God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for me to do :-)" Amen!!! I cannot do enough good works to earn heaven, I cannot do enough good works to take someone to heaven, I cannot pray enough prayers to take someone to heaven, I cannot take any credit for what Jesus has already done and complete!!! *** John 19:30, "When He (Jesus) had received the drink, Jesus said, “IT IS FINISHED.” With that, He bowed His head and gave up His spirit!" The work was done and the price was paid by Jesus alone! IT IS FINISHED! *** Hebrews 9:12, 26, "He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption (my Salvation)!" *** Galatians 6:14-16, "As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died. It doesn’t matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation. May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God!" Amen!!!

Gayle
August 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM

AMEN! Alleluia!

jwcjr
August 29, 2022 at 10:49 AM

Salina, you are my whispering of the Holy Spirit. God blees you!

August 29, 2022 at 07:35 AM

Amen! It’s so important to recognize what individuals our children are and I continue to pray for our youth so that they find the strength to be themselves and not to succumb to the pressures of society. Parents, “Teach your children well.”

Patrick
August 29, 2022 at 03:38 PM

Amen

August 29, 2022 at 06:27 AM

Spot on Cheryl! The things we learned in kindergarten are as relevant today as they were in yesteryear. I pray our children are still being taught to say please, thank you, yes sir, yes mam, pardon me etc. Prayer and allegiance to our fine nation has sadly been erased in our schools, and that is a shame for all of us.

August 29, 2022 at 05:58 AM

Thanks for your reminder about our children Kate....I remind my kids everyday about simply being kind to others, to be happy and pray always..

August 29, 2022 at 04:28 AM

Wow...I never thought of that. Bravo!