August 13, 2022
Sts. Pontian and Hippolytus
Listening for the Voice of Love
Why should you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies, says the Lord GOD. Return and live!
Ezekiel 18:32

The impact of trauma runs deep. It can extend through generations. And because it is what it is, trauma can shape our sense of reality, including our faith. Even short of deep trauma, our spiritual understanding has often been formed by our childhood experiences. Sometimes those experiences have been lovely and revelatory of God’s love. And sometimes, they’re not.

Sometimes, we realize with a start in adulthood, that the judgmental voice in our heads we assumed belonged to God…doesn’t. What a huge step it is, then, to breathe deeply and allow the real voice of the One who created us—not accidentally, but out of love—to resound. To hear the assurance that, no, this Father isn’t waiting for us to fail or stumble, but is watching for our return, so that, indeed, we can live.

Lord, I trust in your love for me.

- Amy Welborn

Ezekiel 18:1-10, 13b, 30-32 • Psalm 51:12-15, 18-19 • Matthew 19:13-1

Comments

August 13, 2022 at 09:47 PM

Lord, I trust in your love for me. I can't wait to be at home with You.

August 13, 2022 at 08:36 PM

Amazingly insightful and spoke to my soul in a moment of need. This is the answer to prayers I hadn't found a way to verbalize yet.

August 13, 2022 at 01:02 PM

Amen. :)

August 13, 2022 at 11:57 AM

Reminds me of these verses!!! *** Psalm 46:10a, "Be still, and know that I AM God!" *** 1 John 4:1-6, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus (Salina's comment: or acknowledge Jesus plus someone/something else) is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One Who (Jesus) is in you is greater than the one who (satan) is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood." *** 2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance!" ******* 2 Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work!" *** How can we recognize the voice of God? "To hear God’s voice we must belong to God!" https://www.gotquestions.org/voice-of-God.html *** What is the key to hearing God’s voice? "The primary way that a Christian hears God’s voice is through reading and studying Scripture and then obeying and applying what the Scripture says!" https://www.gotquestions.org/hearing-Gods-voice.html *** How do I hear from God? "We need to be biblical when we answer the question how can I hear from God?" https://www.gotquestions.org/hear-from-God.html ******* John 1:1, 14, "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God...The Word (Jesus) became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and only Son, Who came from the Father, full of grace and truth!" Reading the Word is hearing from Jesus :-) :-) :-)

August 13, 2022 at 11:23 AM

Beautiful Amy, thank you!

August 13, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Thank you Amy. That is so true for me that my straying from listening to the Holy Spirit also dulls my discernment so when He does speak I can mis-interpret the message. I got the same message from the Oswald Chambers devotion today: "The voice of the Spirit is as gentle as a zephyr, so gentle that unless you are living in perfect communion with God, you never hear it. The checks of the Spirit come in the most extraordinarily gentle ways, and if you are not sensitive enough to detect His voice you will quench it, and your personal spiritual life will be impaired. His checks always come as a still small voice, so small that no one but the saint notices them." Lord help me to turn into Your still, quiet voice and listen hard for those important messages You have for me so I can not just live but live life more abundantly!

August 13, 2022 at 09:28 AM

August 13, 2022 at 07:01 AM

Amen. Lord please bless JM and JR and may they learn to look past their trauma and look to You.