June 21, 2022
St. Aloysius Gonzaga
What You Really Want
How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life.
Matthew 7:14

When Jesus speaks about the “narrow gate,” I get a little nervous. Going through a narrow gate requires discipline—not one of my favorite words. As a child, I equated discipline with denying myself candy during Lent, or doing chores I didn’t like, or being nice to my siblings.

Gradually, I began to see discipline in a positive light—for two reasons. First, years ago I came across David Campbell’s classic definition of discipline as “remembering what you want.” I would add, “really want.” If I have a dream or a long-term goal, discipline helps me to achieve that dream or goal. Second, the word discipline looks a lot like the word disciple. To be a disciple of Jesus is to have a dream for myself and the whole world—one that will be realized by following Jesus’ disciplined way of love, sacrifice and service.

Jesus, give me the grace to remember what I really want and to make daily choices to achieve that dream.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

2 Kings 19:9b-11, 14-21, 31-35a, 36 • Psalm 48:2-4, 10-11 Matthew 7:6, 12-14

Comments

June 21, 2022 at 01:53 PM

The narrow gate looks like the “Great Commission” to me in Matthew 28:19-20, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I AM with you always, to the very end of the age.” *** Don’t you wonder if you are on the wide road to the wide gate or the narrow road to the narrow gate? The thing is wide road leads to wide gate which leads to destruction (death) and MANY will enter through it :-( And the narrow road leads to narrow gate which leads to life and FEW will enter through it :-) *** Why did Jesus say that and use the wide and narrow gate as examples? Jesus continued to give us examples in Matthew 7:15-23…True (narrow) and false (wide) prophets, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.”…True (narrow) and false (wide) disciples, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father Who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name and in Your Name drive out demons and in Your Name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!’” *** Do you know Jesus personally one on one and His heart? Or you just call Jesus Lord because everyone else does and you hear what others tell you about Him? Or do you talk to Jesus through someone else, anyone else because they have a better connection with Him? Or do you talk to Jesus as your friend, your Lord and your Savior and do you hear and recognize His voice? ******* The narrow gate is not narrow, just focus with Jesus only…not going to church, not prayer, not good work, not love, not discipline, not anything or anyone! Only Jesus can show me where the narrow road that leads to the narrow gate which is made available by His blood and nothing I do or anyone does can lead to the narrow gate! *** NOT all religions which teach people to be good go to the same God with different names! If you believe that, you are on the wide road to the wide gate to destruction :-) John 14:6-7, “Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really know Me, you will know My Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him.” *** 1 Timothy 2:5, “ For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,” *** Acts 4:11-12, “Jesus is “‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’ Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

June 21, 2022 at 02:10 PM

I love serving the students at Bible Study Fellowship because I learn twice as much as I prepare for their lessons :-) https://www.facebook.com/BSFRogersDW/videos/what-is-redemptive-discipline/2523251417893103/

June 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM

Such a powerfully challenging and encouraging meditation! Thank you.

June 21, 2022 at 10:15 AM

Amen Sister, great reflection!

Sister Melannie Svoboda, SND Respond to comment
June 21, 2022 at 09:39 AM

Thank you to all who responded and/or prayed with this reflection today. I appreciate reading your comments and being inspired by your own faith and experiences! God bless all of you! Sister Melannie

June 21, 2022 at 09:26 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

June 21, 2022 at 09:08 AM

June 21, 2022 at 08:47 AM

Amen…

June 21, 2022 at 08:21 AM

Like this, make sound wise decisions on what I want in Christ and don’t let nothing stand in my way pursing the narrow way, Amen, powerful devotional today, our holiness is important

June 21, 2022 at 08:08 AM

Amen. :)

June 21, 2022 at 08:05 AM

Sr. Melannie, This is a keeper and a reminder for all of us who need to play the long game for what we really want. Praying for my daughter who is helping at a camp for special needs this week. Praying for all those in need of rest and healing from COVID.

June 21, 2022 at 08:01 AM

Continued prayers here for the Ukraine and the conversion of Mr. Putin. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

Kevyn Mary
June 21, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Amen Jane!

June 21, 2022 at 07:30 AM

I love this and needed it today. Thank you for sharing!

June 21, 2022 at 06:30 AM

What a great lesson in the meaning of discipline. Thank you Sister Melanie.

June 21, 2022 at 06:00 AM