June 20, 2022
Bring the Light of Christ
Jesus said to his disciples: “Stop judging, that you may not be judged.”
Matthew 7:1

We have more ways to communicate with one another today than in any other period of history. Sadly, the world is bursting with sound bites of judgment. A cacophony of accusations one minute and resounding applause the next fills the airwaves and the internet. Too often it infects our conversations and thoughts. The wooden beams of judgment—prejudice, racism, false piety, pride and more—block the light of Christ. Even a tiny splinter in the eye must be acknowledged as our own imperfection. We can ask for forgiveness, remove the splinter and “stop judging.” Our mission as disciples is to bring the light of Christ into the world, not to judge the world. The choice either to praise God in word and action or spread the infection of slander and negativity is ours. May we see ourselves and others with the eyes of Jesus, who sees in each of us our goodness and calls every person into communion with him.

- Deborah A. Meister

2 Kings 17:5-8, 13-15a, 18 • Psalm 60:3-5, 12-13 Matthew 7:1-5

Comments

Deborah Meister Respond to comment
June 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM

I appreciate the comments from our Living Faith community and read them regularly though I don't often add to the comments. Our struggle to love and to accept that we are all "dear, darling children of God" without "judging" challenges us to love but not necessarily to approve. Thank you all for your insights today!

June 20, 2022 at 06:44 PM

The “?” signs were supposed to be praying hands, but came out as “?” signs. Sorry about that…

June 20, 2022 at 06:41 PM

“Our mission as disciples is to bring the light of Christ into the world, not to judge the world.” Amen ????????

June 20, 2022 at 03:49 PM

My head is full of sounds bites of judgement and most of the time I call it discernment...I can't help myself because I want to be aware of my environment when I am not in a familiar area or people! When I was in downtown Camden NJ getting my citizenship 32 years ago, I ran every red light I could so I could drove out of the city as fast as I could! Why? I was judging the city as a dangerous city! Why? Because the statistic told me so! *** I read Scripture everyday, what does God's Word tell me? I learned right from wrong, I learn good from evil! How does the learning affect me? When something happens, I discern to judge whether I have done wrong or someone else has done wrong! *** Listen to what Paul has to say in 1 Corinthians 5:12-13, "It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.” What did Paul mean? 1 Corinthians 5:9-11, "When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people." *** Jesus said in John 7:24, "Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly.” ******* "Jesus’ command not to judge others could be the most widely quoted of His sayings, even though it is almost invariably quoted in complete disregard of its context. Here is Jesus’ statement: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1). Many people use this verse in an attempt to silence their critics, interpreting Jesus’ meaning as “You don’t have the right to tell me I’m wrong.” Taken in isolation, Jesus’ command “Do not judge” does indeed seem to preclude all negative assessments. However, there is much more to the passage than those three words." https://www.gotquestions.org/do-not-judge.html *** Interesting podcast I just finished listening to, "Progressive Christianity: A Biblical Response (with Michael Kruger)" You can find out if you are a progressive Christian or not :-) Listen to commandment number three: The work of reconciliation should be valued over making judgments (20:56-25:14 minutes) and commandment number four: Gracious behavior is more important than right belief (25:15-29:55 minute) https://youtu.be/UcxacmQq-WU

June 20, 2022 at 09:04 PM

God calls (not a suggestion but a responsibility) my brothers and sisters in Christ to judge me (because I call myself a Christian) in looking beneath the surface and call out my sins because my brothers and sisters in Christ love me and do not want me to be separated from God (that’s what happens when I sin because God is holy and cannot be in the presence of sin). If you are a Christian and I am a Christian and if I am pro-abortion, you better judge me and call out my sin because God has given you the responsibility to love me and call out my sin!!!

June 20, 2022 at 09:40 AM

June 20, 2022 at 09:24 AM

Amen Deborah!

June 20, 2022 at 08:51 AM

Regarding today’s reading about judgment: I’d like to thank you all for your part in helping me in this department. I grew up in a very judgmental home. I can well understand the claims of those that say their bad actions are due to the environment in which they were raised. My problem is that I am very soft and tend to let everyone in my circle easily and that easily leads to hurts and abuse….and then I judge and have to shut them out completely to protect myself and my family. Over years of this I now sometimes jump too soon out of fear and judge a relationship dangerous to pursue. Literally, over the years here on LF learning tidbits about people I’ve never seen, I have been able to experience differences in opinion and actions yet experience an underlying faith of others wanting to be the best Godly people they can be. This has been a slow revelation—that judgment can be put aside and acceptance of others doesn’t mean I have to be so close as to be hurt. Thank you Lord for the lessons we learn here and for the many opportunities You provide each day to become more like Your Son.

June 20, 2022 at 12:28 PM

Vicky G, Rita, Kevin and Pam. I too look forward to reading your reflections and comments. Ut is refreshing to gain others perspectives. Please keep them coming. Keep praying for the souls in purgatory and those who have no one to pray for them. Ken

Rita
June 20, 2022 at 11:55 AM

Vicky, I too enjoy your comments and all the comments made here on Living Faith. I start my day with all of you and our Lord.

Mark
June 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM

The Word Among Us. (Wau.org) has a good column about this same topic. Click on Today’s Meditation.

Pam
June 20, 2022 at 10:32 AM

Vicky G. I agree totally on how we have come to see the light grow brighter through each other's heartfelt sharing of their thoughts and comments. I hope YOU know how much we have grown through you! You see things like I wish I did! I always look forward to your comments when I first see your name! God Bless you and all who you love!

Kevyn Mary
June 20, 2022 at 09:23 AM

So true Vicki!! Thank you and amen!

June 20, 2022 at 08:45 AM

Great reflection, Deborah! "Our mission as disciples is to bring the light of Christ into the world, not to judge the world"

June 20, 2022 at 08:03 AM