June 16, 2022
Advanced Gratitude
Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Matthew 6:8

Why bother praying if God already knows what we need? Prayer is more than asking for what we want. It’s not intended to be rote or transactional. Prayer is about connection and relationship, which begin with trust. When we pray, we have the beautiful opportunity to have a conversation with the Creator of the universe, the essence of power and divine intelligence. As we ask for what we need, we rise in our ability to perceive and receive it.

Some of my favorite prayers are expressions of advanced gratitude, as I speak my way from fear and unknowing to trust and surrender:Father, I thank you that you are healing my friend, you are comforting my child, you are increasing our abundance, you are lighting my path from confusion to clarity. When we shift from petition to thankfulness, the entire focus of a situation is transformed. We can attend to what we need to do next, knowing that he has our greater good already unfolding.

- Kristin Armstrong

Sirach 48:1-14 • Psalm 97:1-7 Matthew 6:7-15

Comments

June 16, 2022 at 01:45 PM

This is such an excellent interview and information, I have to share it with you :-) *** Defend the Faith like a Warrior https://youtu.be/KoEXIxmt7fE *** I have learned from this interview that abortion is not a political issue, home school and not public school, and finally love and warrior go together and not stand alone separately! *** The lion and the lamb - Jesus! Lion and the Lamb by Bethel Music https://youtu.be/C9ujBoud26k

June 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM

My good friend drew a saying I shared with her in a poster for me and it is posted on my kitchen wall, "Prayer is not about getting God to give us what we want. It is about learning to want what God wants to give!" *** Do not pray like this in Matthew 6:7-8a, "When you pray, don’t babble on and on as the Gentiles do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them," *** Do pray like this in John 17... go find out the prayers of Jesus! *** "Author Warren Wiersbe sums up the purpose of prayer well: “The immediate purpose of prayer is the accomplishing of God’s will on earth; the ultimate purpose of prayer is the eternal glory of God” https://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-prayer.html ******* My prayer in Psalm 19:1, 7, 10-14, "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands...The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple...They (God's Word in Scripture) are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them. How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Don’t let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer!" Amen!!! *** O Lord, My Rock and My Redeemer by Prayers of the Saints https://youtu.be/TpELMk4-3n8

June 16, 2022 at 10:34 AM

Great reflection! Amen!

June 16, 2022 at 09:30 AM

Amen. Very inspiring words. Thank you!

June 16, 2022 at 09:11 AM

Beautiful loving words on having a conversation with Our Father. Grateful for your writing today and will be praying more this way . You are a blessing.

June 16, 2022 at 08:55 AM

I was so overwhelmed by personal situations, so I spoke with God and He calmed my fears and brought me peace. Amen….

June 16, 2022 at 08:42 AM

Thank you so much Kristin for the wonderful idea to approach prayer with thanksgiving in my heart! I am trying that out this morning and putting that "entry condition" at the top of my prayer list so I don't forget it. I thank God for you Kristin and lift up you and your family to Him this morning.

June 16, 2022 at 08:26 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

June 16, 2022 at 08:17 AM

I always found this passage comforting. It’s nice when a friend knows what your needs, desires and thoughts are without saying a word. God knows, but do we always know? There are times I didn’t really know what I wanted or needed. I’d pray for something not realizing it wasn’t really in my best interest. As I developed my relationship with God through prayer I realized prayer is a gift God has given us to come to know Him and ourselves. Like a parent or teacher who asks a question of us, the answer they could easily give but know we won’t fully appreciate unless we figure it out for ourselves, God helps us to ponder meaning and consequence. He helps us know ourselves and others and what is truly important, what we should be working toward and what our place is in relation to the rest of His creation. Thank you my God, Your Son and Your Holy Spirit for the calm, comfort and revelations you provide through prayer time with You.

June 16, 2022 at 08:44 AM

Amen, Vicky!!! It truly is about knowing Him because He already knows everything about us: who we are, what we need and where we go!

June 16, 2022 at 08:30 AM

Vicky G, Wow you nailed it. You should be writing for the living faith family. I have thoughts about prayers, but Mass this morning gets in my way. Ken

June 16, 2022 at 08:07 AM