June 14, 2022
Praying for Those Who Have Hurt Us
love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…
Matthew 5:44

Let me be honest with you: loving those who have hurt me or mistreated me is not something I do well. In fact, I haven’t loved or prayed for my enemies. How can we love someone who tramples our dignity because we are considered too old, not worthy, not the right skin color, not wanted or an easy target? How can we love someone who hurts us so deeply we can barely face another day? It is not easy. It leaves us feeling that there is no justice for the one who has been persecuted. However, maybe God doesn’t require us to forget our hurts. God might just be asking us to consider love as a point of healing for ourselves and others. God might be asking us to consider freeing ourselves from the bondage of hate and pain so we can rest. Yes, we want to rest.

Merciful God, we pray that those who have hurt us, in any way, may receive your mercy.

- Vivian Amu

1 Kings 21:17-29 • Psalm 51:3-6, 11, 16 Matthew 5:43-48

Comments

June 14, 2022 at 05:26 PM

God has been constantly working on me when it comes to forgiving and loving my enemies! Here is how He does it... *** He started by taking me to the foot of the cross and pointing me to look at His unreconizable body and face! Why did He do that while I was still His enemy? Becasue He first loved me!!! Luke 23:34a, "Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” I meditated on this verse for a long time and one day I got it...when I don't know Jesus personally, I can't help myself but be His enemy even when I go to church every Sunday :-( So it is with those who hurt me, they dont know Jesus personally, how would they know how to love others? They don't! So they love others expecting everythng they want in return and when they don't get any return according to their expectations, their wrath come because they are hurt... *** God says in Deuteronomy 32:35, "I will take revenge; I will pay them back. In due time their feet will slip. Their day of disaster will arrive, and their destiny will overtake them.’ and Paul explains it this way in Romans 12:17-19, "Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back," says the Lord." *** I smile everytime I pray for my enemy becasue He tells me in Romans 12:20-21, " Instead, “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.” Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good!" Are you ready to heap burnung coals on their heads? :-):-):-) ******* Matthew 6: 14-15 "For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." *** Love your enemy https://youtu.be/wcnJWFLjgn4 *** Forgiveness by Matthew West https://youtu.be/h1Lu5udXEZI *** Remember forgiveness is NOT the same as RECONCILIATION.......

June 14, 2022 at 04:43 PM

There you go again making us think, Vivian. I know Jesus said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". But I'm glad He didn't say to invite them over for dinner so they can trample on you again. I can deal with a prayer now and then to maybe one day realize they are indeed hurting people by their actions. Prayers to those in conflict today, especially Hidden, who I feel in today's passage.

June 14, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Good to hear from you, Joanne, from Hamilton, Ontario! I pray that you are healthy and wrapped in God’s love everyday!!! Love, Salina

June 14, 2022 at 11:51 AM

I am so sorry, Hidden, for what you are going through :-( I was praying for you and listening to Christian music on K-Love this morning as I walked! Here are the verses for you in Psalm 139:15-18, "My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in Your Book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—when I awake, I am still with You!" Christian music is medicine for my soul! I pray they will do the same for you, Hidden :-) *** Worn by Tenth Avenue North https://youtu.be/UUEy8nZvpdM *** Not Today by Hillsong Worship https://youtu.be/UpeCWCT3myc *** My Jesus by Anne Wilson https://youtu.be/s-1971qLX-E ******* Call for help and file for protection/restraining order to protect yourself!!! *** New Life Ministries: Help and Hope in Life's Hardest Places, 800-NEW-LIFE (639-5433) Monday - Friday 8:30am - 7:30pm CST, https://newlife.com *** Focus on the Family: To speak with a family help specialist or request resources to help your family, call 1-800-A-Family; Focus on the Family offers a one-time complimentary consultation from a Christian perspective. Reach a counselor at 1-855-771-HELP (4357); https://www.focusonthefamily.com/get-help/ *** Ask God to guide you, comfort you and give you rest in His Word, the only offensive weapon, the sword, you can use!!! Start in Psalm, you will find many have walked your path before you! https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+1&version=NIV ******* Sending you love, Hidden!!!

June 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM

Great reflection Vivian. Thank you!

June 14, 2022 at 09:39 AM

As the song lyrics go “sorry seems to be the hardest word” is often true. Without it, forgiveness (and mercy) is sometimes even more difficult. I have seen this meme several times on the internet - ‘Hurt people hurt people.’ That thought does not make it better for the ones being hurt, but it does offer some consolation.

June 14, 2022 at 09:27 AM

I always smile, and know I will be fed when I see your name, dear Vivian, as the author of a reflection. Today is no exception. It makes be ponder who are/is my enemies/enemy. I suppose I've removed those, who might be considered enemies, from my life. Have I forgiven them, is the question. Thanks for continuing to stir me. God bless.

June 14, 2022 at 09:26 AM

Thank you for a sincere and from the heart reflection. May I add that we ask for an end to senseless killings of our innocents? We hurt because they’ve been persecuted. Thank you, Lord Jesus.

June 14, 2022 at 09:00 AM

Amen! I have learned that it hurts only me to harbor resentment over past mistreatments. Let go and let God!

June 14, 2022 at 08:30 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

June 14, 2022 at 08:07 AM

June 14, 2022 at 07:46 AM

Beautiful devotion, Vivian. Thank you. Heavenly Father, give me the strength to have mercy on those who have hurt me, so that I may be healed. Help those I have hurt to show mercy towards me. Amen!

June 14, 2022 at 05:41 AM

Pray for those who hurt on all sides

June 14, 2022 at 04:59 AM

The challenge of all Christians.

Kevyn Mary