June 13, 2022
St. Anthony of Padua
Going the Extra Mile
Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles.
Matthew 5:41

“Clean your dirty dishes!” I barked at one of my teenagers. And so my daughter dutifully rinsed off her bowl and loaded it into the dishwasher, yet she overlooked other dishes still caked with breakfast detritus. This led to another conversation about going the extra mile—doing more than what seems like enough, giving beyond what is required and looking for ways to serve and love others that might require more sacrifice than what feels “good” or necessary.

After all, Jesus doesn’t just call us to give; he calls us to give generously. Jesus could have given far less; one drop of his blood could have saved us all. Yet he freely chose to shed every last bit of it. He never stopped to count the cost. He gave what is beyond “enough” or sufficient. If there was more to give, he gave it.

With Christ as our example, may we learn to do the same.

- Kate Wicker

1 Kings 21:1-16 • Psalm 5:2-7 Matthew 5:38-42

Comments

June 13, 2022 at 10:47 AM

Praying for you, Hidden. Praying for you and Mike that God's healing love will embrace you both. And praying for Mary's always open arms to shelter you. God Bless.

June 13, 2022 at 09:04 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

June 13, 2022 at 08:46 AM

Great thoughts with this morning devotional! Give well is a wonderful thought to perceive

June 13, 2022 at 08:02 AM

June 13, 2022 at 07:34 AM

Hidden, abuse only worsens. I’m am praying for your safety. It’s good to get out of an abusive relationship- I did 22 yrs ago. I learned divorce is a legal resolution- it’s not bad or shameful. Contact your local DV shelter, keep speaking your truth, stay safe. May angels surround you.

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
June 13, 2022 at 07:22 AM

Good morning my dear u must have seen red the flag but u ignore.It's time to get out of that abusive relationship before it's too late. Your life and health is more valuable than anything else.Once some one shows u who they are,that's who they are.Run for ur life.It doesn't matter if u are married for three months or year.

June 13, 2022 at 07:13 AM

Hidden, praying for you and Mike. Know that many times I’ve said prayers for people’s requests without responding. Like Tricia said, all the LF family is praying for you.

June 13, 2022 at 05:47 AM

Prayers

June 13, 2022 at 05:27 AM

I have family members who read this so I dont feel comtrable using my own name. I just stood up to my husband who is very abusive. I know I got the strength to do so from the Lord. However, within 6 hrs of doing so, I had to have him arrested. He is being charged with Domestic Violence. Becuase he came looking for me once I have left the general area and everything I own, including my service dog in training, I guess im asking everyone to pray for me and yes even him. We havnent been married even a year yet. But this is not the man I married. Before I stood up to him, I went and talk to a priest about how us women should submit to our husbands. He told me unless hes threatening to kill you or beat you. If I would have understood that I probably would have stood up sooner. Its becoming hard for my mind though, so please ask the God helps my mind. The anxiety is so horrible and I keep zoning out. All of which people tell me is normal. Well I dont like it. I know God can help. And when 2 or more are gathered together in agreement, God is in the midst of that. I know he is in the midst of this situation, just pray for me. And Mike

Bill L
June 13, 2022 at 04:26 PM

Tonight's prayers will be for you, Hidden! In our city there are safe places to go to that help women in your situation. You and your service dog will be welcome. Know that domestic violence means both Physical AND Mental abuse. Do not give in to either. We here will be praying for strength to guide you through this.

Living Faith Team
June 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM

This is a public service announcement for Hidden and all readers of Living Faith: This is the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800.799.SAFE (7233). Internet usage can be monitored and is impossible to erase completely. If you’re concerned your internet usage might be monitored, call them at 800.799.SAFE (7233). We are praying for you and your safety. The website for the National Domestic Violence Hotline is: https://www.thehotline.org

Joanne Hamilton ON
June 13, 2022 at 11:11 AM

Your post has lured me to post in support of you. My prayers for my living family are daily whether or not I am well enough to come to post. The support here is so comforting and powerful. Know you are never alone, with God, our Blessed Mother, and here. May you continue to have the courage and faith to continue to what you deserve. Hugs and prayers. Joanne

June 13, 2022 at 11:04 AM

June 13, 2022 at 09:51 AM

Hidden At Mass got to thinking, find another priest,what was he thinking should have finished "husbands LOVE your wives". Later in Corrithans "love is patient... Kathy my wife and bestfriend was married 46 years and she always loved me more than I showed her. I know that she's forgiven me. Hidden again find someone who can sit with you in quiet. Ken

Mike E
June 13, 2022 at 08:57 AM

Prayers for Hidden.

Stormy
June 13, 2022 at 08:48 AM

Prayers to Hidden may God hold you in his hands through these hard times and guide you to safety.

June 13, 2022 at 08:20 AM

Hidden. I will pray for right now and during Mass. Living faith family surely gave great advice. Spend some time alone and try to listen to what the Lord is saying. Praying right now Ken

Alyssa Peacock
June 13, 2022 at 07:45 AM

Prayers!

Frank
June 13, 2022 at 07:18 AM

Praying for you, Hidden. God loves you!

Tricia
June 13, 2022 at 06:54 AM

Hidden- know that ALL the LF community here is praying for you now. Whether you see our responses or not, I know that each person reading about your situation is praying for you. You are loved. You are strong. God’s grace will protect you-in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Lia
June 13, 2022 at 06:45 AM

Amen. Prayers of strength and if there is abuse it is time to leave for sure!!!

Kate
June 13, 2022 at 06:23 AM

Prayers for you and your husband. You are not alone. Consider calling the DV Abuse hotline 1.800.799.7233 if you need assistance. May God bless and keep you safe.