June 11, 2022
St. Barnabas
How Do You Plead?
Let your “Yes” mean “Yes,” and your “No” mean “No.”
Matthew 5:37

Red lights flashed in my rearview mirror. I immediately pulled over. I was stopped for going 12 miles over the speed limit. It was clear—I broke the law. The police officer handed me a ticket with a court date circled. I dreaded having to appear on that date and had no idea what to expect.

When I entered the courtroom, the bailiff asked, “How do you plead?” I said, “Guilty.” He rolled his eyes and said, “Plead not guilty.” Did I hear him right? He repeated, “Plead not guilty,” and he turned away. Sweat poured down my neck. When my name was called, it was over in a flash. The judge dismissed my case because the officer who issued my ticket was a no-show. I guess I was fortunate. But I had driven faster than the speed limit. Court procedures may be complex, but God’s truth is not!

- Gail Goleas

Acts 11:21b-26; 13:1-3 • Psalm 98:1-6 Matthew 5:33-37

Comments

June 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM

June 11, 2022 at 12:04 PM

My moment in traffic court was humbling - a lesson in God’s truth!

June 11, 2022 at 09:49 AM

Amen. God sees our honesty!

June 11, 2022 at 08:52 AM

I believe God was working through the bailiff. God knows your heart and that your intentions aren't evil so he used that bailiff to help you through a hard time. That bailiff IS NOT an evil person. He saw a good person and wanted to help that person. Yes may mean yes and no mean no but it also takes into count life and the struggles of people in this world and their intentions of the heart!

June 11, 2022 at 08:45 AM

Lamentations 3:22–25 English Standard Version 22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; Great is your faithfulness. 24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” 25 The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.

June 11, 2022 at 08:19 AM

My sister had a ticket from an odd situation where she felt she had done nothing wrong. She prayed for help every day till hearing and judge tossed when the officer failed to show! No need to lie.

June 11, 2022 at 07:32 AM

God's truth is complex too! The bailiff told you to lie.