June 10, 2022
Whispers
At the mountain of God, Horeb, Elijah came to a cave, where he took shelter. But the word of the LORD came to him, “Go outside and stand on the mountain before the LORD; the LORD will be passing by.” A strong and heavy wind…but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind…an earthquake—but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake…fire—but the LORD was not in the fire. After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound.
1 Kings 19:9a, 11, 12

This ancient story of the tiny whispering sound indicating to Elijah that the Lord was about to speak to him keeps encouraging me to be attentive to some possible whisper. Sometimes a line in Scripture seems to softly tell me not to fear. When I am stressed, as happens often lately, I’ve been graced to remember the spiritual directive Edwina Gateley gave a friend of mine with cancer. The words always seem whispered: “Be silent. Be still. Let God love you.”

God, help us quiet ourselves to hear the whisper of your love.

- Patricia Livingston

1 Kings 19:9a, 11-16 • Psalm 27:7-9, 13-14 Matthew 5:27-32

Comments

June 10, 2022 at 03:30 PM

Please Lord help the leaders of our country. Amen ????

June 10, 2022 at 10:09 AM

Thank you for the beautiful reflection.. Please pray that the people in power will hear the word of God and end this slaughter of our innocent children. Praying their families feel the presence of God in their time of grief.

June 10, 2022 at 08:41 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Carol Clarkson
June 10, 2022 at 10:56 AM

Amen

June 10, 2022 at 08:29 AM

June 10, 2022 at 08:27 AM

Amen. :)

June 10, 2022 at 08:18 AM

My go-to Audible is in Psalm 46:10a, “Be still and know that I AM God!” *** An audible is when the quarterback of a football team quickly changes the play or formation at the line of scrimmage. On offense, the quarterback calls an audible, or new play, at the line of scrimmage which is different than the play called in the huddle, after surveying the defense. *** Moses answer to the Israelites when they were chased by the Egyptians in Exodus 14:13-14, “ Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” *** Do you go to the phone or the throne when you need help? Isaiah 8:19, “ When someone tells you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?” Who do you pray to? ******* And when I do go to throne and be still in the midst of the storm with the wind, the earthquake and the fire, I remember what God showed Ezekiel in Ezekiel 37:1-6, “The hand of the Lord was on me (Ezekiel) and He brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” I said, “Sovereign Lord, You alone know. ” Then He said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the Word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I AM the Lord. ’” Amen! Song of Ezekiel by Paul Wilbur https://youtu.be/i4cdP3udQro *** HE IS GOD!!!

June 10, 2022 at 08:28 AM

One of my favorite song - Days of Elijah by Robin Mark https://youtu.be/ca9LnzJnpjQ

June 10, 2022 at 08:01 AM

that's a beautiful directive to hold close.

June 10, 2022 at 05:42 AM

Amen. Thank you for this reflection. I will keep this close to my heart "Be quiet. Be still. Let God love you. Prayers for The Living Faith Family