June 8, 2022
Inflame My Heart
The God who answers with fire is God.
1 Kings 18:24

I put out a campfire recently. The flames had already died down, leaving only a lava-red glow. I’m not a veteran camper, so I was astonished when the bucket of water I threw at the scorching logs evaporated in a cloud of steam. I’d known since childhood that water puts out fire, but until that moment, I didn’t know that fire can put out water!

Elijah must have known it. Even though God seemed distant and silent to the people of Baal, Elijah knew that God could explode his sopping wet offering into flames. God can answer our call with fire too. God can make our hearts burn within us when we listen to his Word. He can make our conscience smolder with an awareness of our sins. He can burst into a period of spiritual dryness and ignite our faith anew. He can inflame our hearts with love for our neighbor, a desire for justice and the joy of the gospel.

Make your heart an offering to God and just see what he ignites in you!

Almighty God, inflame my heart!

- Karla Manternach

1 Kings 18:20-39 • Psalm 16:1-2, 4-5, 8, 11 Matthew 5:17-19

Comments

June 8, 2022 at 10:34 AM

Thank you Karla for the beautiful reflection!

June 8, 2022 at 10:12 AM

Great reflection Karla. Fire putting out water. Living faith family please pray for my friend Christine and for David to have successful surgery and his recovery. Ken Ken

Kevyn Mary
June 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM

Praying!

Karla Manternach
June 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Thank you, Ken. Praying!

June 8, 2022 at 09:24 AM

Thank you for beautiful reflection, Karla. A beautiful reminder to continue the fire in our hearts. Remembering the suffering families of our children who died by guns and praying for change of heart to those in power.

Karla Manternach
June 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM

Thank you, Peggy. Praying hard for that!

June 8, 2022 at 08:51 AM

June 8, 2022 at 08:46 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

a God follower Respond to comment
June 8, 2022 at 08:28 AM

Great readings and meditation for today. Alas we must remember, this place we live in now is not our forever home. Lord have Mercy and please save us a place in the Father's House. Amen.

June 8, 2022 at 08:25 AM

Amen. :)

June 8, 2022 at 07:30 AM

Great reflection Karla. The campfires are always such a great place to ponder, smolder and reflect. What will stay with me today is, “What will he ignite in you?” Thanks for sharing your gift with us.

Karla Manternach
June 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM

Thank you so much, Jane! They are, aren't they?

June 8, 2022 at 07:28 AM

Continued prayers here for the Ukraine and the conversion of Mr. Putin. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

June 8, 2022 at 07:10 AM

As I am reading the Scripture this morning, it reminds me that fire, smoke and wind are the symbols of the presence of God in Scripture :-) *** Do you feel like you are in the fire like Daniel’s three friends were thrown into the fire? Well, God was with them! *** Remember Moses in the desert? The burning bush…not consuming! *** God’s presence covered Mt Sinai as smoke when Moses was going up to receive the Ten Commandments! *** So I trust You, my Lord and my God! I see and know Your presence in any storm…smoke coming out of the rain…as we drive today!!! Amen!

June 8, 2022 at 06:54 AM

Asking for prayer: Matt and I are traveling from Kingsport to Memphis today hauling an U-Haul trailer taking furniture to Jessi. I see the thunder storm is across the state today. I ask for travel safety and sufficient braking distance and seeing clearly through the storm!!! Praying hands!

June 8, 2022 at 04:07 PM

Arrived at Memphis ???? Thank you for all your prayers ???? Only one hour out of the eight we encountered rain! Enough to keep the windshield clean not enough for us to stop ???????? Grateful for His faithfulness and yours ????

Pam
June 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM

Oh Salina, I've been on my way to Memphis many times when the sky was so dark the photo cell lights on the road came on! Praying for you and Matt and safe, uneventful travels. And a sweet welcome from Jessi! God Bless!

June 8, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Salina I will pray for you and Matt right now. Please listen to azmom advice and pull over. Also if either of you guys are tired pull over a d take a break sometimes short prayers will renew us. Praying Ken

azmom
June 8, 2022 at 08:07 AM

My prayers are with you, Salina. If it starts becoming a deluge, please pull over for a while! Better to get to your destination a little later than having an accident. Praying that God and his angels watch over you.

Lia
June 8, 2022 at 07:32 AM

Amen. Prayers coming your way Salina :)

June 8, 2022 at 05:58 AM

Good morning Karla...thank you for this Gospel...it speaks to me...

Karla Manternach
June 8, 2022 at 10:27 AM

Me, too, Cheryl. Thank you!