June 7, 2022
(Tenth Week in Ordinary Time)
Running on Empty
The jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry…
1 Kings 17:16

I worked in an industrial setting as a young man. One day, I was involved in a serious accident—only I wasn’t. I slipped while operating a piece of heavy machinery. Both of my legs were underneath this machine—weighing as much as a pickup truck—as it continued rolling. I can’t say that I pulled myself out of harm’s way because I didn’t. Yet I somehow found myself safely back on the platform. I have no way to explain it. Like a miracle, I was unharmed.

Most of us can recall at least one similar experience. How did that car not hit me? Why didn’t I break my ankle on the icy sidewalk? Of course, tragedy still afflicts people of faith and nonbelievers. But today’s first reading reminds us that even amid the direst circumstances, we have our loving and merciful God accompanying us. Consider thanking God today for miracles—seen and unseen.

- Terence Hegarty

1 Kings 17:7-16 • Psalm 4:2-5, 7-8 Matthew 5:13-16

Comments

June 7, 2022 at 05:58 PM

Thank you, Terence. I certainly have had a few 'How did that happen' moments in my live also. Prayers to all in need this day.

June 7, 2022 at 10:37 AM

*** This reminds me of this story, #betheblessing206, https://www.klove.com/news/positive-people/randy-miller-homeless-he-s-helping-others-who-are-homeless-cutting-hair-sharing-encouragement-podcast-33122 *** Blessings by Laura Story https://youtu.be/XQan9L3yXjc *** Matthew 5:16, "Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father!" ******* I have nothng to offer! I can only share with you what He has done in saving me and bringing me to Himself...God of All My Days by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/9Pc6aqCSkiM

June 7, 2022 at 09:28 AM

Amen! Thank you Lord, for seen and unseen miracles and for our guardian angels who keep us safe from harm.

June 7, 2022 at 08:40 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

June 7, 2022 at 08:10 AM