June 5, 2022
Pentecost Sunday
Locked Doors, Locked Hearts
…Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
John 20:19

The apostles had assembled and locked the doors of the house from what they feared outside. They also had locked their hearts with regrets of their unfaithfulness for failing to support Jesus in his agony. Would he come to punish them for their infidelity? They nervously waited. Soon Jesus came quietly and unannounced, through locked doors and locked hearts. The first greeting of the Risen Lord was: “Peace be with you.” The apostles must have offered a collective sigh of relief and forgiveness. Unknown to the apostles: The Lord’s mercy and peace had already been given to them by his death on the Cross.

Even though we may have locked our hearts with fear and sin, that same mercy and inner peace have already been given to us by Jesus, if only we would understand it, trust in that forgiveness and live it.

- Fr. James McKarns

Acts 2:1-11 • Psalm 104:1, 24, 29-31, 34 • 1 Cor 12:3b-7, 12-13 or Romans 8:8-17 • John 20:19-23 or 14:15-16, 23b-26

Comments

June 5, 2022 at 02:52 PM

Beautiful devotion today, Fr. James. I think this was the 'AHA' moment for the Apostles. They finally 'got it' the message of what Jesus was all about. *********** As a fitting end to my novena I give you this. ************* R. Alleluia, alleluia. Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. R. Alleluia, alleluia.

June 5, 2022 at 02:03 PM

June 5, 2022 at 12:03 PM

Sharing with you (my family and BSF sharing on May 31, 2022), "Both Matt and I are feeling so much better today! I tested negative before I went to see my eye doctor this afternoon. Now Matt and I both have the antibodies of COVID in our system ???? *** Sharing with you our symptoms and what we did to minimize the duration and severity of symptoms! *** Symptoms: body aches, throat (sore for Matt or itchy for me) issues that caused us to cough, sinus drainage, nausea and chills with no temperature! 1. Test (whether home or PCR test) to confirm COVID 2. Call the doctor for a video consult. 3. Doctor prescribed Paxlovid within 3-5 days of symptoms, a 5 day 3 pills 2 times a day. (Ask doctor for any medication interactions with your current medications. You may have to stop taking certain medication while you are taking Paxlovid) 4. Take Vit C, D and Zinc to boost your immune system. 5. Take pain med for body aches and sleep aid for sleep! ( I used a Vicks vaporizer for sleep) 6. Use original Listerine or salt and water to gargle every 2 hours to soothe the throat and minimize the growth of virus. (I brush my teeth before the Listerine gargle because the mouth is always the gathering place for germs) 7. Drink and pee as often as possible to flush the system. 8. Have pedialytes available if you feel dehydrated. 9. Pick a show you didn't have time to watch before and binge watch it! (I finish watching 2 seasons of "The Chosen" https://watch.angelstudios.com/thechosen) 10. Take it really easy for 2 weeks! The severe symptoms only last for 48 hours. You may not think so if you are in the middle of the 48 hours, but the symptoms shall pass! *** Most of all, praise the God Who holds it all and knows what He is doing. If He brings me to it, He will brings me through it :-) ******* Psalm 23, "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for His Name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely Your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!" Amen!!! The Lord Is My Shepherd by Stuart Townend https://youtu.be/pN4tPkX0MG0

June 5, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Why did God do this? in Genesis 11:7, "Let us then go down there and confuse their language, so that one will not understand what another says!" *** Because in Genesis 11:5-6, "The LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the people had built. Then the LORD said: "If now, while they are one people, all speaking the same language, they have started to do this, nothing will later stop them from doing whatever they presume to do." *** Because in Deuteronomy 6:5, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength!" *** Becasue Leviticus 19:4, "Do not turn to idols or make metal gods for yourselves. I am the Lord your God!" ******* Here is the other book end to Genesis 11:7 in Acts 2:4, 6, "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them...When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken." *** God confused them in thier languages because they began to want glory for themselves building a towel in Babel! *** Now at Pentecost, the Holy Spirit enabled them to understand each other in thier own languages! *** Why? For the glory of God in Acts 2:8, 11b,"Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?...we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" ******* You know what is the most common idolatry in my daily life? Me...my own holy thoughts, my own good desires, my own upright wants, my own perfect ways, my own theology of creating God in my image, basically me me and me :-( *** I do all things becasue I feel good about doing good things, not because it is God's will and plan and desire through the power of the Holy Spirit! *** Jeremiah 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" *** Paul explains it this way in Roman 7:18-19, "And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway!" ******* My only hope is (But God...only God :-) in the leading and guiding and filling of the Holy Spirit :-) Luke 10:21, "At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because You have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what You were pleased to do!" Amen!!! Holy Spirit by Jesus Culture - Kim Walker https://youtu.be/eFByOX8Fb0M

Barbara
June 6, 2022 at 02:25 AM

Thank you, Selina, for the information on Covid-19. I'm glad that you both are feeling better.

June 5, 2022 at 11:24 AM

*tower not towel :-)

June 5, 2022 at 09:36 AM

Amen! Thank you Father James.

June 5, 2022 at 08:49 AM

This is such a beautiful and powerful sermon...