May 30, 2022
Whose Side Are You On?
The father of orphans and the defender of widows
is God in his holy dwelling.
Psalm 68:6

Our Judeo-Christian tradition gives us many different names for God: Father, Creator, Lord, Most High, Master, Healer, Rock, Shepherd, to name a few. But today’s psalm gives us this intriguing designation for God: “Father of orphans and defender of widows.” It begs the question: What do orphans and widows have in common? In the ancient world, they were two groups of individuals who were essentially powerless. They had no legal rights and consequently were easily victimized. To survive, they had to trust in the help and generosity of others in society.

Naming God as their Father and defender says something very important about God: God is on the side of the poor and the powerless. And even more than that, God, through Jesus, calls us to be on their side too.

God of the powerless, may I reach out with help and generosity to the poor and defenseless in our world. Help me to be on their side—for that is where you already are.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Acts 19:1-8 • Psalm 68:2-7 John 16:29-33

Comments

May 31, 2022 at 08:14 AM

Continued prayers here for the Ukraine and the conversion of Mr. Putin. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

May 30, 2022 at 04:23 PM

On this Memorial Day, we remember and thank those who gave their lives for us and every citizen to secure freedom, liberty, and justice for all! This points me to the ultimate sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Who gave His life for our freedom from sins, liberty to pursue our image created in God and justice for all no matter our gender, race or age!!! *** The disciples believed in Jesus saying in John 16:30, “Now we realize that You know everything and that you do not need to have anyone question you. Because of this we believe that you came from God.” *** Yet Jesus declared that the disciples would abandon Him in John 16:31-32ab, “Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now? Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be scattered to his own home and you will leave Me alone.” *** Do I abandon Jesus in the same way? When the going gets tough, people disappear? Do I come to Jesus only when I have a request or a need? Do I hold off Jesus when I can solve the problems by myself? Do I go with the world when mentioning Jesus’ Name is divisive in public squares according to the world? ******* Jesus’ promise brings me into perspectives in John 16:33, “I have told you this so that you might have peace in Me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” The trouble will come not if but when…Lord Jesus, your grace is sufficient for me for Your power is made perfect in my weaknesses!!! Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me!!! Amen! (2 Corinthians 12:9)

May 30, 2022 at 03:57 PM

Novena Prayer for Pentecost -- 2022 (May 27 through June 4)************ Come, Holy Spirit, fill our hearts with your love. Set our lives aflame with your gifts. Grant us wisdom to choose what is good and true; understanding to embrace your plan of salvation; right judgment to act according to your will; courage to share our faith with others; knowledge to live as disciples of Jesus Christ; reverence to respond faithfully to your grace each day; and wonder and awe in your presence. Inspire us with enthusiasm for our Catholic faith. Grant us boldness to proclaim the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ, and help us to bring the transforming power of the gospel to our world. We make this prayer through Christ, our Lord. AMEN.*******OUR FATHER, HAIL MARY, GLORY BE, SIGN OF THE CROSS

Katj
May 31, 2022 at 05:32 AM

Thank you Bill…for reminding me daily to keep up with the Novena. I’ve been praying it daily and your posts help.

Bill L
May 30, 2022 at 03:58 PM

Monday, May 30, 2022 – The Spirit Gives Life to Dry Bones********* Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Listen, I will make breath enter you so you may come to life. Ezekiel 37:5

May 30, 2022 at 11:07 AM

May 30, 2022 at 11:03 AM

May 30, 2022 at 09:47 AM

The powerless today yes are still the poorest, the very old, the young, people with various disabilities, and the physically ugly. The opposite of what our society clamours for: to be beautiful, rich, young and healthy - like a beer commercial.

May 30, 2022 at 09:11 AM

Dear Lord, please help us to never forget all the orphans and widows that were left behind due to the fact that the husband,father ,mother paid the ultimate price for us and for our freedom. May God bless these special people and grant them the peace of heaven.

Vicky G
May 30, 2022 at 09:19 AM

So very true Robert. These sometimes are the forgotten ones but they suffer loss just the same as those publicized in major media. Praying for those who defend freedom and their families that support them.

May 30, 2022 at 08:28 AM

Thank you Sister Melannie. "In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” O Lord I surrender to You those who seek to overturn our religious freedoms in our country and around the world. Please protect and defend Your faithful.

Sandy
May 30, 2022 at 09:36 AM

Amen to your prayer, Markco. God bless America and His faithful ones.

azmom
May 30, 2022 at 08:48 AM

Beautiful prayer, Marko. I will add my prayers to yours.

May 30, 2022 at 08:14 AM