May 26, 2022
The Ascension of the Lord
Hold Hope Close to Our Hearts
May the eyes of your hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call…
Ephesians 1:18

What must it have been like for the disciples to know they had to go on, seemingly by themselves, after Jesus departed from them? Did they lose a sense of hope that his teachings would prevail through them? Did they doubt they would be able to sustain their faith in him? They certainly could not see clearly what the future held. The eyes of their hearts were yet to be enlightened by the coming of the Holy Spirit. Soon after, the disciples would be empowered in a way that reenergized their trust and sent them forth with restored enthusiasm.

The feast of the Ascension reminds me to hold hope close to my heart. When I do not see clearly and have questions about the future, I can trust that I, too, will find my way in due time when I open myself to the Spirit’s presence and guidance.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp, O.S.M.

Acts 1:1-11 • Psalm 47:2-3, 6-9 Ephesians 1:17-23 or Hebrews 9:24-28; 10:19-23 • Luke 24:46-53

Comments

May 26, 2022 at 09:41 AM

Amen Sister Joyce!

May 26, 2022 at 09:10 AM

May 26, 2022 at 08:19 AM

Amen. :)

May 26, 2022 at 08:07 AM

I needed this devotional so badly right now. I am about to make a major life change and I wonder what lies ahead. But I know that God is always with me and will help me through this transitional time. I will definitely “hold hope close to my heart.” God, please send hope and consolation to those who are grieving today, especially the families that lost loved ones in Uvalde. Amen.

GHH
May 26, 2022 at 08:27 AM

Praying for peace and clarity in your days ahead. God's got this!

May 26, 2022 at 08:27 AM

Azmom I will pray for you this morning before Mass. Your strong faith will serve you during this time of transition. Yes I will pray for the children and their families in Texas and Buffalo. Hang in there know that the living faith family is always around to help. Ken

May 26, 2022 at 07:49 AM

Here is my hope in what I have experienced with God Himself and His promises in Scripture in spite of what’s happening in the world! *** John 16:20, “Amen, amen, I (Jesus) say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy,” *** 1 Thessalonians 4:13-15, “Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him. According to the Lord’s Word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.” *** Isaiah 63:1-3, “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to proclaim Good News to the poor. He has sent Me to (1)bind up the brokenhearted, to (2)proclaim freedom for the captives and (3)release from darkness for the prisoners, to (4)proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to (5)comfort all who mourn, and (6)provide for those who grieve in Zion— to (7)bestow on them (a)a crown of beauty instead of ashes, (b)the oil of joy instead of mourning, and (c)a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. *** They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor!” ******* “The Lord has made His Salvation known and revealed His righteousness to the nations. He has remembered His love and His faithfulness…; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God… Sing to the Lord a new song, for He has done marvelous things; His right hand and His holy arm have worked salvation for him!” *** How precious are the innocent lives of a fourth grade class lost! *** How precious are the innocent lives of the unborn lost! *** How precious is our Lord reminding us evil does exist and evil is evil even when you give it the reasonable name, “my body my choice!” It was, is and will be evil who lies to us and we choose to destroy innocent lives!!! ******* 2 Timothy 1:9-10, “He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of His own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, Who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel!” *** Our God by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/NJpt1hSYf2o

May 26, 2022 at 07:38 AM

It must have been so challenging for the apostles to experience this. We read that Jesus spoke to them about it, but was it too cryptic for them to understand? Did they wonder, “Wait…is He really gone? He came back the last time.” I wondered if after He left and was not there physically, could they still feel him. Sometime people who have lost a limb claim to still feel it and sometimes experience phantom itching. Was it like that? Or did they feel that sense of presence when someone takes over your thoughts briefly, like they are right there with you. Such a mystery. They still must have felt his presence with all the miracles that occurred. I love contemplating it. Thank you Sr. Joyce.

May 26, 2022 at 07:30 AM

Continued prayers here for the Ukraine and the conversion of Mr. Putin. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

May 26, 2022 at 07:23 AM

Amen..

May 26, 2022 at 05:56 AM

Amen!!! We must Hold Hope and Trust close to our hearts!!