May 25, 2022
St. Bede the Venerable, St. Gregory VII, St. Mary Magdalene de’ Pazzi
Guiding Us Through
Jesus said to his disciples: “I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.”
John 16:12

I vividly remember gazing into a mirror when I was nine years old, trying to imagine how I’d look as an adult and how my life would be. I thought knowing both, in advance, would better prepare me for my future. In retrospect, how overwhelming it would have been had I been given a glimpse of my future! I was too young, too naïve, too ill-equipped for the ups and downs of adulthood and its responsibilities.

Jesus knew it would be overwhelming for his disciples if he told them everything in advance. They were still too young in their faith, too naïve, too ill-equipped to understand what was about to happen to him and the persecution they’d face. Instead, Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to guide them through.

On our high need-to-know days, when we feel ill-equipped and overwhelmed, may we feel peace knowing that the same Holy Spirit is at the ready to guide us through.

- Claire McGarry

Acts 17:15, 22—18:1 • Psalm 148:1-2, 11-14 John 16:12-15

Comments

May 26, 2022 at 07:27 AM

Oh Claire, how I loved this. There are many times when I remembered pondering certain possibilities or outcomes in my life and thinking….I can’t imagine that I would make it through if that ever happened to me. Or think, I don’t know what I would do. Then sure enough, some of those things transpire and at that moment the Holy Spirit shows up, when I wasn’t ready and when i needed help and guidance. I must remember to have faith that the Holy Spirit will guide me. I need to be watching and listening for the guide.

May 25, 2022 at 11:22 PM

Continued prayers here for the Ukraine and the conversion of Mr. Putin. Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

May 25, 2022 at 04:20 PM

Thank you, Claire, for this devotion. How many of us would shudder at the glimpse of our future selves to see what lies ahead?

May 25, 2022 at 01:44 PM

The more the people of this world need Jesus, the more they pull away! Come Lord Jesus!

May 25, 2022 at 10:44 AM

Paraphrasing Psalm 102 as my prayer, “Lord, hear my prayer! Listen to my plea! Don’t turn away from me in this time of distress. Bend down to listen, and answer me quickly when I call to you. My heart is sick, withered like grass, and I have lost my appetite. Young lives passed in (Uvalde Elementary school) as swiftly as the evening shadows. I am withering away like grass. But You, O Lord, will sit on Your throne forever. Your fame will endure to every generation. You will arise and have mercy on us — and now is the time to pity us, now is the time You promised to help. Then the nations will tremble before the Lord. The kings of the earth will tremble before Your glory. For the Lord will rebuild this country. You will appear in Your glory. You will listen to the prayers of the destitute. You will not reject our pleas. Let this be recorded for future generations, so that a people not yet born will praise the Lord. Tell them the Lord looked down from His heavenly sanctuary. He looked down to earth from heaven He broke my strength in midlife, cutting short my days. But I cried to Him, “O my God, Who lives forever, don’t take the lives while they are so young! Long ago You laid the foundation of the earth and made the heavens with Your hands. But You are always the same; You will live forever. The children of Your people will live in security (in this world or in Your presence) Their children’s children will thrive in Your presence.” Thank You for listening to my lament and You have assured me of Your presence with these families and their children especially those who experience this horrific ordeal personally in Uvalde! There is no God like You, my God and my Lord, Who knows the good, the bad and the horrible things in this world! Romans 8:28, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” It’s hard to take in the terrible shooting yesterday and consider that part of everything You work together :-( But God…Only God…With God!!! And I thank God for the Holy Spirit in Romans 8:26-27, “ And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father Who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will.” I pray in agreement with the Holy Spirit that Your presence, Your peace, Your person, Your providence, Your power, Your perseverance, and Your patience be with the people in Uvalde, Texas during this time of deep loss of the innocents! Amen! Draw them to Yourself :-)

May 25, 2022 at 02:54 PM

Continue to pray for my daughter, Jess, her recovery from COVID and her taking the final exam on her first year medical school tomorrow not rescheduled as she thought earlier but online. I see Your hands of protection and provision for the four of us in the family in 3 different locations having COVID within 10 days :-) Now we can commiserate and have empathy for one another! I know You are never late or early…even though I asked for COVID a year ago so I didn’t have to take the vaccines :-( Your timing is always perfect! I ask that Matt’s symptoms come and go very quickly and that Paxlovid will minimize the impact of the virus and that his immune system builds up defensive antibodies lasting long time for any future exposure! I pray the same for myself too as I see that my energy is back as soon as I knew Matt is tested positive for COVID this afternoon! I am grateful that Katie recovered fairly quickly :-) *** Isaiah 25:1, “ Lord, You are my God; I will exalt You and praise Your Name, for in perfect faithfulness You have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.” Amen!!!

May 25, 2022 at 09:51 AM

Amen Claire!

Claire McGarry
May 25, 2022 at 12:21 PM

Thank you Kevyn!

May 25, 2022 at 08:42 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits that prowl about the earth seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

May 25, 2022 at 08:28 AM

May 25, 2022 at 08:23 AM

Amen. :)

May 25, 2022 at 08:19 AM

Please pray for the families who lost loved ones in the killings in Uvalde, TX. Such a tragedy for them and our country. Dear Lord, please send consolation and hope to those who grieve.

JAM
May 25, 2022 at 02:22 PM

God has a way of bringing blessings even in the worst tragedies. Pray for our country and all who are suffering in the face of evil. God will provide the answers.

May 25, 2022 at 10:38 AM

Azmom I am heartbroken again buffalo was hard for me. I was renewed with the outpouring of love and support from the community. Texas is another tragedy I know that the Lord has a message for us but I am praying for guidance from the Lord and holy spirit to help. Living faith family please keep praying for Bob and his wife Joyce that she returns home. Feedmore today will renew me. Ken

May 25, 2022 at 08:00 AM

May 25, 2022 at 07:46 AM

“The spirit of truth …will speak what he hears”. The world is desperate to hear the truth of God’s love and mercy. God most often speaks through his people. Are you sharing what truth you are hearing from God?

May 25, 2022 at 07:33 AM

Amen..

May 25, 2022 at 01:10 AM

With the indwelling Holy Spirit in me and the Scripture, I do know exactly what I need to know when I need to know! No more and no less :-) *** Deuteronomy 29:29, “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the Words of this law!” *** John 16:13, “But when He comes, the Spirit of truth, He will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming!” *** Interesting observation from Paul in Acts 17:16, “While Paul was waiting for them (Silas and Timothy) in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols.” ******* What idols was Paul observing? *** Acts 17:22-23, “Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship (idols), I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship —and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.” *** Acts 17:24, “ The God who made the world and all that is in it, the Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in sanctuaries made by human hands,” *** Acts 17:29,” “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill.” ******* Remember what happened to the Israelites in the desert when Moses went up to the mountain and the Israelites made a golden calf so they could worship God (being religious)!!! They felt disconnected from God because Moses was gone and no one left to communicate with God for them! *** Do I connect with God through my gold cross pendant and ring which I wear? Do I communicate with God through any man made design? Do I connect and communicate with God through the indwelling Holy Spirit Jesus sent me to make known to me exactly what, when and where?