March 7, 2022
Sts. Perpetua and Felicity
Linking Fasting and Almsgiving
Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
Matthew 25:37

It’s the first week of Lent, and here we are, beginning our fast: we give up, we do with less. Why? Well, our fast can bear all sorts of fruit, certainly: clearing out obstacles on our journey with God, teaching us to be dependent on God alone, doing penance. But what do we do with what we’re sacrificing—that time, attention, money and, yes, food? From ancient times, Christian tradition has linked fasting with almsgiving. Pope Leo the Great put it very plainly back in the fifth century when he said, using vivid, specific language: “…let our Christian fast-times be fat and abound; and let each bestow on the weak and destitute those dainties which he denies himself.”

Jesus, may my Lenten fast bear fruit for those in need.

- Amy Welborn

Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18 • Psalm 19:8-10, 15 Matthew 25:31-46

Comments

March 7, 2022 at 09:28 AM

My thoughts this morning...Leviticus 19:1-2, "The LORD said to Moses, “Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, AM holy!" *** "I am the LORD...I am the LORD...I am the LORD...I am the LORD" mentioned 4 times in the first reading! *** What does it mean to 'be holy'? What does it mean 'for I, the LORD, your God, AM holy'? *** "In Hebrew, the words translated “holy” and “holiness” have to do with being “set apart,” “separate,” “different,” or “dedicated.” The absolute moral purity of God’s character sets Him apart, making Him different from every other living creature. Yet He calls His people to be holy as He is holy. Humans generally think of holiness as obeying God’s law. But, for God, holiness is not a mere action or a set of behaviors. Holiness is His essence. God is morally and ethically perfect by nature. So how can we set ourselves apart to reflect God’s holiness in the way we live?" https://www.gotquestions.org/be-holy-for-I-am-holy.html ******* I am set apart for use by God :-) *** First reading in Leviticus tells me what not to do, that means I should do the opposite! God repeated Himself four times, "I AM the LORD!" That means whatever I don't do or do, I first have to remember, "He is my LORD!" And the do's and don'ts will follow when I place my God where He belongs...my LORD of my everything :-) *** Paul's example of being set apart in Romans 1:1-6, "Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the Gospel of God—the Gospel He promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding His Son, Who as to His earthly life was a descendant of David, and Who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. Through Him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for His Name’s sake. And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to (set apart for) Jesus Christ!" *** What do others see or know about the Good News of Jesus Christ in my fasting and almsgiving? For me, it is so much easier to fast and almsgiving than to tell someone about Jesus our LORD today? For me to tell someone about Jesus, I have to know Him personally first. I have to know how to answer their questions and endure their not so kind comments sometimes :-( It is hard, try to do it anyway :-) The Holy Spirit helps me to say, "That's an excellent question, let's find out the answers togther!" ****** Set Apart by Worship Central https://youtu.be/Xs5TNUoYmpI

March 7, 2022 at 09:12 AM

March 7, 2022 at 08:36 AM

Praying for peace in the Ukraine.

March 7, 2022 at 08:36 AM

Living faith family a morning prayer I love and would like to share. Dear Lord, help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning. Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day. In Jesus' name Amen Ken

Jane
March 7, 2022 at 08:59 PM

Thank you Ken….beautiful prayer.

March 7, 2022 at 08:27 AM

As always, your input, Jane &Sandy&Joann through Amy’s thought providing meditation, give us all pause for thought compelling us to delve a little deeper into our spiritual selves and what that self means to Christ and His own. Thank you Jane for continued prayers. Mom passed last night. After 3days of no water, no food, no way to communicate and in obvious pain for much of the time. I think she got her last Lenten sacrifice in before she calmed the last hour to peacefully see the Holy God she so dearly loved all her life and for whom she lived. I guarantee she is praying for you all now as well as so many others and heading whatever committee to which God has assigned her. May God’s blessings be upon us and upon the whole world.

Joann
March 8, 2022 at 05:56 AM

Sorry for your loss. Pra for you and your family

jane
March 7, 2022 at 08:59 PM

Vicky, I think God has already put her in charge of a group of angels and she is rocking it. Know that the community is walking with you during this time of loss. I remember being with my mom when she passed and it was a trying time, even though she had struggled so much. My mom too, had a valiant bout with cancer. May you continue to feel comforted in her love for you.

Bill L
March 7, 2022 at 04:55 PM

Continuing my prayers for you and your family this evening, Vicki, in remembrance of your mom.

Sandy
March 7, 2022 at 03:55 PM

Vicky, I'm praying for you and offer my condolences. May the Lord bring you peace.

Bonnie L
March 7, 2022 at 01:07 PM

My condolences Vicky. I’m so sorry about the loss of your mom. I’m praying for the repose of your mother. May God grant her peace and forgive her of all her sins. May you find peace knowing she is suffering no more. God bless you and grant you many graces for you and your family.

T W
March 7, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Vicky, may God Comfort and Bless you and family! Keeping you all in His Holy Care!

CC
March 7, 2022 at 11:05 AM

Vicky, So sorry for your loss. May your mom Rest In Peace and may God bring you comfort and peace.

annie
March 7, 2022 at 10:54 AM

Prayers for you and for your Mom. She is at peace. May God bless our Living Faith Family, and the people in Ukraine.

Christine
March 7, 2022 at 09:54 AM

I'm so sorry, Vicky. May she rest with the angels.

Holly
March 7, 2022 at 09:13 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and family.

Annette P
March 7, 2022 at 08:36 AM

Vicky G, You and your family have my prayers and sympathies. May your memories bring you comfort, and God's love...peace.

March 7, 2022 at 08:33 AM

Vicky G I will pray for you and your mother this morning and on the way to work. I believe that she is watching over us and is at peace. Ken

March 7, 2022 at 08:24 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts-- by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

March 7, 2022 at 08:16 AM

March 7, 2022 at 07:49 AM

Thank you Amy for the reflection. I love the thought of connecting my fast to someone else’s feast. I am fasting from the chocolate, but am giving it to someone else. Your reflections are always so generous. I appreciate that! Continued prayers for Vicky G and her family and those who are fleeing the Ukraine. God please convert the heart of Mr. Putin.

T W
March 7, 2022 at 12:05 PM

Jane, I'm doing a new Fasting from Wednesday to Wednesday. Currently Fasting no chocolates with you. Be Blessed and Encouraged.

March 7, 2022 at 07:45 AM

Father in Heaven, have mercy on us and on the whole world! You sent Your Son, the Prince of Peace, for the salvation of the world. We pray that the Peace of Christ will reign in Ukraine. Please protect and send aid to those in Ukraine and all who are at-risk. We pray for peace – we pray for all who are working towards it and for all who are in danger from this conflict. We pray for an end to violence and war – we pray for wisdom for all leaders who have a hand in this. Lord God, please help those in most need of thy mercy. Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us! Saint Joseph, Protector of Mary, Jesus and the Church, pray for us! Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace, may your kingdom reign in Ukraine and all the world.

Kevyn Mary
March 7, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Joann Donofrio Respond to comment
March 7, 2022 at 06:42 AM

Any sacrifice we make out of love even if it seems only for ourselves still helps others because if it strengthens our spiritual life and helps us grow closer to God. It increases our ability to love others

Josnn
March 8, 2022 at 06:44 AM

March 7, 2022 at 05:55 AM

Good morning LF family, I would like your thoughts. I saw this response from the Pope and can't decide the benefits of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent since it would not be helping others. "Does my fasting end up helping others? If it doesn't, it's a sham, it's inconsistent, and it leads you down the path of a double life. (Santa Marta, 16 February 2018)" I pray that everyone is having an eventful Lenten season bearing much fruit (thank you Amy). I also continue to pray for all those in need and especially for world peace.

Sandy
March 7, 2022 at 03:58 PM

Thank you Salina and Joann for your responses, they were very helpful.

March 7, 2022 at 09:33 AM

Sandy, I pray this may help? https://www.gotquestions.org/fasting-Christian.html

Joann
March 7, 2022 at 06:29 AM

I think anything that helps us to grow in our own spiritual life helps others. Not eating meat on Fridays is what the church asks but today in may not seem like a sacrifice either because it's something that we are so used to doing or if you are a vegetarian or vegan and don't eat meat anyway or for health reasons you can't give up meatThen the suggestion I have heard is to find another sacrific. I