January 15, 2022
Unworthiness Is No Excuse
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.
Mark 2:17

Saul and Levi are a study in contrasts. Saul looks as if he would be a great king for Israel. He has a fine pedigree, he’s tall and handsome, and he’s extremely responsible. But as a king, Saul will be a failure. In contrast, there’s Levi (Matthew). By collecting taxes for the Romans, he is a traitor to his people. And, like many tax collectors of his day, Levi was probably a cheat as well. But as a disciple of Jesus, Levi will prove to be the real thing.

There are several lessons here: First, you can’t tell a book by its cover. Second, Jesus came to call not perfect people, but ordinary sinners, like you and me. And finally, our shortcomings and failures cannot excuse us from accepting Jesus’ invitation: “Follow me.”

Jesus, let nothing—not even my unworthiness—get in my way of following you anew each day.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

1 Samuel 9:1-4, 17-19; 10:1a • Psalm 21:2-7 Mark 2:13-17

Comments

January 15, 2022 at 05:18 PM

*** People wanted a king and the Lord chose Saul for them in the people's timimg in 1 Samuel 9:2, 15-17, "He had a son named Saul, who was a handsome young man. There was no other child of Israel more handsome than Saul; he stood head and shoulders above the people...The day before Saul’s arrival, the LORD had revealed to Samuel: At this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin whom you are to anoint as ruler of my people Israel. He shall save my people from the hand of the Philistines. I have looked upon my people; their cry has come to me. When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the LORD assured him: This is the man I told you about; he shall govern my people." *** The Lord chose David to be the king in His timing in 1 Samuel 16:7, 11-12, "But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart...So he (Samuel) asked Jesse (David's father), “Are these all the sons you have?” “There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered. “He is tending the sheep.” Samuel said, “Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives.” So he (Jesse) sent for him (David) and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, “Rise and anoint him; this is the one.” *** I see God gave Saul to the people who asked for a king before its appointed time. I see God provided David for His people in His appointed time in 1 Samuel 16:1, "The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.” ******* So even when I asked for something I wanted (not in God's timing) and God gave it to me anyway, still God's plan for me will not be thwarted :-) I will however have to deal with the consequences of what I asked for as the Israelites did (1 Samuel 8:11-18). So be careful what I ask for, God may just give it to me according to my will :-) *** 1 John 5:14-15, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of Him!" *** I would add to my prayer requests with, "Deo Volente!" meaning "God willing!" *** Thank You, Lord, for sending Your Son Jesus to bring glad tidings to the poor and to proclaim liberty to captives! Amen!

January 15, 2022 at 03:52 PM

amen. prayers for the homeless during this cold spell, may they find some warm shelter.

January 15, 2022 at 03:23 PM

Rose, you are in my prayers tonight.

January 15, 2022 at 02:05 PM

January 15, 2022 at 10:56 AM

I will pray for Rose's struggles and for Kasya, Mary . Living faith family I have bookmarked the Surrender Novena, thanks Marko. That's a great way to release tension. Living faith family please keep the essential workers and the souls suffering from the weather tragedies and the souls in purgatory in your prayers. Ken

Jane
January 16, 2022 at 09:14 AM

Ken, thanks for the continued prayers for Kasya. I hope to visit her today.

January 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM

“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.” Recently I had a primary care doctor visit and on the front door was a full color sign that read “If you are sick (sneezy coughy emoji) do not enter.” The first thing that came to mind was today’s Bible quote and my thoughts, ‘really? Isn’t that why most people go to the doctor because they are sick?’ Seems even the doctor wants perfect people these days. Obviously none of us are perfect and we all have our weak points both physically and spiritually. That weakness is our opportunity to work toward God instead of away. Saul could have made such different choices for the better. And yet David still loved him to the end. I think we need to accept people through their “sicknesses” and do our best to be a “physician” to all as best we can. Even if we don’t accept their behavior we still need to love them. Continuing prayers. Blessings all

Maggi
January 15, 2022 at 03:50 PM

If you have the symptoms listed, you are asked to not enter because there maybe people inside that are vulnerable, at risk. This covid changes all rules! I understand your fe3ling rejected, however, we have to pull together to keep everyone as safe as possible.

January 15, 2022 at 07:58 AM

Thank you Sr. Melannie. I love thinking about the study of contrasts. I know so well that judging a book by its cover is frequently deceiving. I had a friend who said, hate the sin, not the sinner. I often remember this when I am in one of my judgement moments. May i keep in mind today that i am the sinner and although i am not the handsome king, I need to accept the invitation to accept Jesus’s, because of my shortcomings and failures. Continued prayers for Rose that she may feel redemptive light and worth. Also praying for those who will be impacted by severe winter weather this weekend. May my son arrive safely at his destination.

Patrick
January 15, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Amen, continued prayers for Rose.

January 15, 2022 at 07:55 AM

I’ve always loved Matthew. When Jesus called him, he got up from his money table and left all of his former life behind. That life was a pretty comfortable one in those days. He must have been yearning for something much more. In Jesus, he found the treasure he was searching for.

January 15, 2022 at 05:49 AM

I was thinking the same with Saul and David. Saul appeared to be the right choice. But the child David changed history.