January 14, 2022
What Do We See?
They came bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men.
Mark 2:3

The healing of the paralyzed man is highly dramatic and unusual. I try to envision this happening. Jesus is preaching to a full house with more people crowded outside. Four men come carrying a paralytic on a mat. They maneuver through the crowd, reach the house and rip up a large section of roof, as perhaps chunks of debris fall on Jesus and the crowd. Jesus continues preaching with minimal distraction. The man on the mat is lowered to floor level right in front of Jesus. He forgives the man’s sins as easily as curing his paralysis and sends him home. The crowd says they’ve never seen anything like this.

Now, what do we see? We see Jesus’ divinity by healing the man’s soul and body. We see faith in action of the four roof climbers. We see that inspiration plus motivation can find inner healing or more. We see, also, that it is vital to come to Jesus trusting him as the Lord.

- Fr. James McKarns

1 Samuel 8:4-7, 10-22a • Psalm 89:16-19 Mark 2:1-12

Comments

January 14, 2022 at 03:56 PM

Prayers for everyone. I too follow/pray more novenas and will offer the current Novena to St Peregrine for the LF community healing requests. Rose stay in faith and trust that Jesus is with you.

January 14, 2022 at 03:05 PM

Wow, so many in need today. Of course I have been there with sick relatives, and with negative thoughts of my self worth and that there is no answer. I worked it to find strength in my inner soul. Exercise, talking, medication(when necessary) and just plain plugging along. This too shall pass and there is something for me and for you to do here. I pray for insight into why, what, who...and I know that I/you will get the answers sooner or later. Prayer to your Higher Power. Find someone here that you feel you would not want to leave behind. Prayers to all who are ill, or have family ill. Prayers to the homeless.

January 14, 2022 at 01:32 PM

Rose, Please join me in praying this scripture everyday. Psalm 91 When you abide under the shadow of Shaddai,[a] you are hidden[b] in the strength of God Most High. 2 He’s the hope that holds me and the stronghold to shelter me, the only God for me, and my great confidence. 3 He will rescue you from every hidden trap of the enemy,[c] and he will protect you from false accusation and any deadly curse.[d] 4 His massive arms[e] are wrapped around you, protecting you. You can run under his covering of majesty and hide. His arms of faithfulness are a shield keeping you from harm. 5 You will never worry about an attack of demonic forces at night nor have to fear a spirit of darkness coming against you. 6 Don’t fear a thing! Whether by night or by day, demonic danger will not trouble you,[f] nor will the powers of evil be launched against you. 7 Even in a time of disaster, with thousands and thousands being killed, you will remain unscathed and unharmed. 8 You will be a spectator as the wicked perish in judgment, for they will be paid back for what they have done! 9–10 When we live our lives within the shadow of God Most High, our secret hiding place, we will always be shielded from harm. How then could evil prevail against us or disease infect us? 11 God sends angels with special orders to protect you wherever you go, defending you from all harm. 12 If you walk into a trap, they’ll be there for you and keep you from stumbling. 13 You’ll even walk unharmed among the fiercest powers of darkness,[g] trampling every one of them beneath your feet! 14 For here is what the Lord has spoken to me: “Because you loved me, delighted in me, and have been loyal to my name, I will greatly protect you. 15 I will answer your cry for help every time you pray, and you will feel my presence in your time of trouble. I will deliver you and bring you honor. 16 I will satisfy you with a full life and with all that I do for you. For you will enjoy the fullness of my salvation!” Footnotes 91:1 Shaddai (šadday) is taken from a Hebrew root word with many expressive meanings. It can mean “God of the Mountain,” “God the Destroyer of Enemies,” “God the Self-Sufficient One,” “God the Nurturer of Babies,” or “God the Almighty.” Moses the lawgiver is the author of this psalm, yet every verse seems to breathe the unlimited grace and mercy of God. 91:1 Or “[I] endure through the night.” See Job 39:28, where the same Hebrew word is used for an eagle passing the night on the high cliffs. 91:3 Or “hunter.” 91:3 As translated from the most ancient Hebrew manuscripts and the Septuagint. The Hebrew word can mean “poisoned arrows.” 91:4 Or “wings.” Also found in the next sentence, “under his wings,” which speaks not of God having wings, but of the wings of the cherubim resting on the mercy seat. The implication is that we can always come to the mercy seat and rest without fear. 91:6 Verses 5–6 are seen by many Jewish scholars as a reference not merely to pestilence and natural dangers but to the realm of spiritual darkness that would come against God’s servants. These spirits are equated to “arrows that fly in daytime” or “a pestilence that walks” in the darkness. God’s sheltered ones are kept from the harm that could come from natural sources or supernatural sources. What a wonderful place to hide and be secure! 91:13 The Hebrew includes the words for “lions,” “snakes,” and “dragons” as the three great symbols of satanic power. THERE ARE MORE ANGELS THAN DEMONS! USE THEM AND GO TO WAR AGAINST OUR ENEMY. WIN THE BATTLE IN YOUR MIND THROUGH CHRIST JESUS AND HIS SCRIPTURES. DO NOT PUT-UP OR EXCEPT ANY BAD THOUGHTS IN YOUR MIND. REJECT ALL OF THEM. YOUR LIFE IS NOT BASED ON THOSE PEOPLE WHO FIRED YOU. WHO YOU ARE IS WHAT GOD SAYS YOU ARE! RECEIVE GOD AND READ IN SCRIPTURE ALL THAT GOD PROMISES AND WHO WE ARE IN CHRIST. FIGHT FOR YOUR MIND! I’M BELIEVING IN YOU ROSE TO BE STRONG AND CONQUER THE BATTLEFIELD IN YOUR MIND. YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU KNOW!

January 14, 2022 at 10:54 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. WE decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 14, 2022 at 10:48 AM

So many to pray for today. As I pray may the Lord let each not only be healed but feel the comfort of the Holy Spirit at their side.

January 14, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Praying for all your requests especially for those with cancer. It is a hard road to travel for everyone affected. Jesus I surrender this to You, You take care of it. St. Peregrine pray for us.

January 14, 2022 at 10:11 AM

Amen. Prayers for LFF requests.

January 14, 2022 at 08:20 AM

Is there anything worng with asking what everyone else is asking? No, if it is God's will and in His plan! Yes, if it is not God's will and not in His plan! *** The Israelites is asking Samuel to give them a king like other nations in 1 Samuel 8:4-5, "All the elders of Israel came in a body to Samuel at Ramah and said to him, “Now that you are old, and your sons do not follow your example, appoint a king over us, as other nations have, to judge us.” *** Samuel was very upset at their request. Why? Because the people was asking for a king to replace a judge, Samuel himself! The Israelites wanted to be like other nations so they wanted a king instead of what God has put in place, a judge, Samuel! *** Eventhough Samuel was mad, he went and inquired of the Lord anyway and God comforted him in 1 Samuel 8:6-7, " Samuel was displeased when they asked for a king to judge them. He prayed to the LORD, however, who said in answer: “Grant the people’s every request. It is not you they reject, they are rejecting me as their king.” ******* My lessons: (1) Be careful what we ask for (a new socialistic/financial and Law/order and legislation system) as God's people in this nation! (2) Sometimes when I think rejection of me is actually rejection of God Himself! (3) The rejection/request is actually rejection/request of God and to replace God in this nation! *** Thy Will by Hillary Scott and The Scott Family https://youtu.be/PAmh3yvmzXs Yes, Lord Jesus! Thy will be done on earth in my life as it is heaven! Amen :-)

January 14, 2022 at 09:40 AM

May God give you eyes to see and ears to hear! Matthew 13:16 *** How God is present and active in today's world? https://youtu.be/w--o2cU9RTc

January 14, 2022 at 08:09 AM

January 14, 2022 at 07:48 AM

For all asking for prayers for those suffering with cancer, go to PrayMoreNovenas.com. The current novena asks for the intercession of St Peregrine who was healed of cancer. Included all of you in today’s prayer. God bless you all.

January 14, 2022 at 07:39 AM

I need more faith. Ive been struggling to get back to work after being fired for breaking ny foot. Now i feel worthless, useless, and retartrd. I made a mostake 5 years ago and no one understands i am not the same person except for my husbamds sister who told me this. Its given me such depression that ive had thoughts i will never follow through with yet are still real. I guess im asking you to pray for me.

Patrick
January 14, 2022 at 12:18 PM

Your comment has touched me deeply Rose. I am praying for you. Never lose hope, I stood at the crossroads considering some dark options, I put my trust in the Lord and I was led through the fire to freedom and a ultimately life I can scarcely believe. I and others made mistakes but I have forgiven everyone including myself. I stopped listening to negative self talk and began to affirm myself. You are forgiven, we all are. Go forward unafraid the darkest hour is just before the dawn. Your words written from your heart have not gone unanswered. God bless you. Pat

January 14, 2022 at 10:39 AM

Rose please know that I am praying for you right now. Bob and Marko recommendations were right on. I also like the holy spirit prayer " Holy spirit guide my mind Holy spirit control my thoughts " say that 8 to 10 times while deep breathing. It calms me. Ken

Mike E
January 14, 2022 at 10:31 AM

Rose, let go and let God guide you. Prayers for Rose.

GHH
January 14, 2022 at 10:02 AM

We will pray relentlessly for you, Rose. It will all be all right. Do one thing today that makes you feel good about yourself. God already feels great about you!

Marko
January 14, 2022 at 09:45 AM

And praying for Kasya too.

Marko
January 14, 2022 at 09:28 AM

And praying for Mary and Rose this morning.

January 14, 2022 at 08:59 AM

Prayring for you, Rose! *** Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” *** John 16:33, “I have told you these things (Go check out what these things are in Scripture, Rose :-), so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” *** Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers and sisters (Rose), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Amen!!!

Rosy
January 14, 2022 at 08:32 AM

Praysers that you will listen to the One who will lift you up.

Bob M
January 14, 2022 at 08:28 AM

Rose, it can be a very dark and troubling journey when you feel no purpose or hope. God has a path for you to take! Serve Him with ALL your heart! Share Him with others. Discover who He is and what He has in store for you. Speak to loved ones about your thoughts, tell them the darkness and hopelessness you are feeling. Get them involved, then share God's love and hope with them. He has a plan and a purpose for you. Turn to Him with all your heart and soul.

January 14, 2022 at 07:16 AM

Thanks Fr. James for helping me feel the scenario. I was vividly imagining this morning. In the readings it says, Jesus returned to Capernaum and he was “at home.” I was likening it to being at college and returning home and all your friends knew you were there and they piled in the car to see you, and it kept going and growing…. I can almost hear someone saying, “Dude, we HAVE to get to Him…I think there’s a loose piece of the roof over there and if we can pull a little more off, we can McGuyver him down to Him.” At that moment, I wonder about the homeowner - was it Mary or one of their relatives - was it me?. Was the homeowner there? I am imagining my own Mother’s response to this in her house which would have had a bit of texture to it!!! I would be the same I’m sure. Yet i know Jesus calmed them and made them see that all will be well and the roof will be healed, too. Ken, will you share the surrender prayer again?

Norm
January 14, 2022 at 09:02 AM

O Jesus, I surrender myself to You, take care of everything!

January 14, 2022 at 07:14 AM

Bill, I am glad to hear that your brother is now home and recovering. Continued prayers for both of you. I need prayers for my niece, Mary. She is a young mother of 2 little ones. She has cancer and is receiving chemo. She was in remission but it came back full force again. Her husband and children need her and it just makes me so sad. Please all Living Faith community, pray for her that she may be healed from her cancer. My brother and his wife have gone to stay with them indefinitely while she receives chemo. She is very fragile right now so we need lots of prayers. Thank you so much.

January 14, 2022 at 10:53 AM

I will pray for Mary right now. It's great that her family can help and support her. I will include them in my prayers also. Jane I am happy Surrender prayer was answered by someone else great. Living faith family please keep the homeless and people who have no one to pray for them in your prayers. Bill great news about your brother Ken

Marko
January 14, 2022 at 09:26 AM

Jane, here is a link to the surrender prayer novena: surrenderprayer.weebly.com. I started praying it every day again and it helps me to see me from His perspective.

Jane
January 14, 2022 at 07:20 AM

Azmom, I feel for you here and am sending prayers. My friend Kasya has colon cancer that has spread to the liver . She has 3 children and a husband who have been on this journey with her and I just hate it. She can’t go to clinical trials because her enzymes are too high. They are running out of options. They all need strength and courage and the will to continue to fight. May God rest healing hands on those in need - and they need it.

January 14, 2022 at 04:51 AM

That is good news about your brother Bill. We will keep him in our prayers and trust in God to do the rest.

azmom
January 14, 2022 at 07:26 AM

Thank you for your prayers, Jane.

January 14, 2022 at 04:41 AM

Somewhat good news about my brother. They are releasing him from the hospital later today. He will have Home Care come in to monitor him and the meds. Hopefully he will get better rest than having someone come in every couple of hours to check his vitals. It will probably be a few weeks to a month before we see any progress but we'll continue to pray for his recovery. His son and daughter will take over watching him. Ken, thank you for the Surrender Prayer. I've been reciting it since you posted it. And thank you all for your continued prayers.

Jane
January 14, 2022 at 07:02 AM

Bill - one day at a time! This sounds like a good immediate outcome and we will pray for continued improvement and healing. I love it when a plan comes together - maybe the A Team led by the Divine!!!! Wishing them a smooth transition.