January 12, 2022
The Hands of Christ
He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.
Mark 1:31

This gesture of Jesus as he helped Simon’s mother-in-law to get up after curing her of a deadly fever reminds me of St. Teresa of Avila’s oft-quoted saying: “Christ has no body now but yours, no hands, no feet but yours…” Teresa’s statement makes it clear that we are to carry on the loving gestures that Jesus gave to those in need. I wonder if parents changing their child’s diaper or a teacher cleaning up an ill student’s vomit ever consider how their hands are extensions of Christ’s own hands. I wonder if any of us think that what we do, whether helping to carry in groceries, writing a note of sympathy or offering an arm to support someone weakened from surgery or age, is similar to that marvelous gesture that Jesus gave to Simon’s mother-in-law. Today, let’s be aware of our hands and how we can be Christ to one another.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

1 Samuel 3:1-10, 19-20 • Psalm 40:2, 5, 7-10 Mark 1:29-39

Comments

January 12, 2022 at 05:29 PM

Beautiful examples of how Jesus continues to help others through us, Sr. Joyce. Simple gestures that we can do every day. Praying for A Drozdeck, Robert and Ron this evening. Ken, how is Father Ron doing?

January 12, 2022 at 04:32 PM

I've found it best to stay quiet about the good things Gods done through me. Even writing this I want to tell you folks on how I did this and I did that. "Lord grant me knowledge of your will for me and the power to carry that out". I try to stay on guard because the enemy waits in the dark corner however, when I turn on the light of the spirit the evil one vanishes... I'm not stronger than the evil one but God is.

January 12, 2022 at 01:07 PM

I often look at others as Jesus. what you do for the least you do for me(or something like that!) I never thought of my hands being an extension of Jesus. That is really lovely. Ya, really lovely. Thanks.

January 12, 2022 at 10:19 AM

January 12, 2022 at 09:12 AM

How beautiful!- Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 12, 2022 at 08:22 AM

Bravo Sr. Joyce and thank you for writing this. Just beautiful. Make my hands Christlike today. Lifting you and your gift, that you continue to inspire us.

January 12, 2022 at 08:17 AM

Thank for the lesson today the world needs Jesus Healing Hands now more than ever

January 12, 2022 at 08:09 AM

January 12, 2022 at 08:06 AM

Indeed Sr Joyce :-) Lessons I learn today in John 10:27, "My sheep hear My voice, says the Lord. I know them, and they follow Me!" *** How do I start following Jesus? Jesus knows me...And? Jesus calls me...And? I hear His voice...And? Sometimes, I need a mentor like Eli to Samuel to guide me :-) *** Here is what Scripture tells us about Samuel in (1) 1 Samuel 3:20, "Thus all Israel from Dan to Beersheba came to know that Samuel was an accredited prophet of the LORD!" (2) How? 1 Samuel 3:19, "Samuel grew up, and the LORD was with him, not permitting any word of his to be without effect!" (3) How? 1 Samuel 3:8b-9a, "Then Eli understood that the LORD was calling the youth. So Eli said to Samuel, “Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’” ******** An accredited prophet like Samuel started out just like you and I in 1 Samuel 3:7, "At that time Samuel was not familiar with the LORD, because the LORD had not revealed anything to him as yet." With the help of Eli, God's servant and mentor, Samuel grew up with the Lord and his word was without effect, becoming an accredited prophet God called him to be!!! ***How about you, Salina? Who is your mentor and who is your mentee? Hmmm.......

January 12, 2022 at 07:34 AM

Beautiful reading! Thank you. ????

Mary
January 12, 2022 at 07:36 AM

Sorry about the question marks. I must have hit a wrong key (more than once). Not sure what happened. Anyway, beautiful reading!

January 12, 2022 at 06:31 AM

Dear sweet Jesus lay your loving hands on me that my results come back with good results. Thank you from my heart.

Jo
January 12, 2022 at 07:54 AM

The Lord will give you Good news, Praise and thank Him for His goodness, His kindness, and His mercy!

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment
January 12, 2022 at 05:51 AM

Amen....

January 12, 2022 at 04:52 AM

Amen .... What a beautiful reflection. Now if we could just get the whole world to follow along, what a wonderful place this would be.. Prayers for the surgeons hands tomorrow as he works on my brother in law Ron.

January 12, 2022 at 08:35 AM

A Drozdeck I will pray for you and your family at Mass this morning. Robert I will also pray for you and your family and Ron successful procedures. Living faith family I am happy to have you guys and your thoughts and reflections. Feedmore today its brutality cold. Ken

robert
January 12, 2022 at 08:16 AM

Agreed Robert! Yes on praying for the surgeon’s hand and God’s guidance!