January 10, 2022
Immediate Peace
…[Elkanah] used to give…a double portion to Hannah because he loved her…
1 Samuel 1:4-5

At the age of two, my son was diagnosed with a life-threatening peanut allergy. Shortly thereafter, a child at the playground flaunted his nut-filled treat, causing my son to obsess over what he couldn’t have. In that downward spiral, neither the snacks I offered nor my love were enough to console him.

Barren for years, Hannah became distraught when her rival, Peninnah, flaunted her fertility. In Hannah’s anguish, neither a double portion of what her husband sacrificed nor his love were enough to console her. Instead, she poured out her soul to God. Yes, God did eventually grant her a son. But what’s equally remarkable is he immediately granted her peace.

In the midst of our own distress, we, too, can pour out our soul to God. Turning to him always brings immediate peace.

God of Great Compassion, prompt me to pour my soul out to you that you may replace my distress with peace.

- Claire McGarry

1 Samuel 1:1-8 • Psalm 116:12-19 Mark 1:14-20

Comments

January 10, 2022 at 04:20 PM

I read, as most of you probably do, the day's readings 1st. And I try to guess which reading the contributor will comment on. Claire, you did not disappoint. As with Hannah, may we accept God's decision and be at peace with it. Prayers to all in need today.

Claire McGarry
January 11, 2022 at 09:20 AM

I'm glad my reflection didn't disappoint, Bill! Blessings and peace to you.

January 10, 2022 at 10:45 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts- by the power of God- Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 10, 2022 at 10:31 AM

Gerrie Hensley Respond to comment
January 10, 2022 at 09:32 AM

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments. Special thanks to Ken for sharing his prayers, particularly Watch & the Surrender ones.

January 10, 2022 at 09:31 AM

How did the "immediate peace" come about for Hannah? Let's see *** 1 Samuel 1:6-7, "Her rival, to upset her, (1) turned it into a constant reproach to her that (2) the LORD had left her barren. (3)This went on year after year; each time they made their pilgrimage to the sanctuary of the LORD, Peninnah would approach her, and Hannah would weep and refuse to eat." *** I believe many women who want to be pregnant can relate to Hannah. It wasn't 6 months or a year, it was year after year. Not only that, she was constantly being reminded that the LORD had left her barren as the Scripture stated! How does one come to grips with the waiting and God's plan and will? *** If you think that wasn't bad enough, Eli the priest thought Hannah was drunk :-( in 1 Samuel 1:15-16, "“Oh no, sir!” she (Hannah) replied. “I haven’t been drinking wine or anything stronger. But I am very discouraged, and I was pouring out my heart to the Lord. Don’t think I am a wicked woman! For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow.” ******* Many people have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow recorded in Scripture just like Hannah! So how and when did Hannah's peace come about? 1 Samuel 1:17-18, "“In that case,” Eli said, “go in peace! May the God of Israel grant the request you have asked of Him.” “Oh, thank you, sir!” she exclaimed. Then she went back and began to eat again, and she was no longer sad." *** When Hannah was able to share her pain, her shame and her request with Eli, the priest, and Eli prayed for her :-) *** And God remembered Hannah's request (not that God ever forgot Hannah if you know Who God is and His character) in 1 Samuel 1:19-20, "The entire family got up early the next morning and went to worship the Lord once more. Then they returned home to Ramah. When Elkanah slept with Hannah, (1) the Lord remembered her plea, and (2) in due time she gave birth to a son. (3) She named him Samuel, for she said, “I asked the Lord for him.”" *** You know what else I learn: Hannah gave her only son, Samuel,she asked of God back to God in 1 Samuel 1:24-28, "When the child (Samuel) was weaned, Hannah took him to the Tabernacle in Shiloh. They brought along a three-year-old bull for the sacrifice and a basket of flour and some wine. After sacrificing the bull, they brought the boy to Eli. “Sir, do you remember me?” Hannah asked. “I am the very woman who stood here several years ago praying to the Lord. I asked the Lord to give me this boy, and he has granted my request. Now I am giving him to the Lord, and he will belong to the Lord his whole life.” And they worshiped the Lord there." ******* When I realize my Father in heaven knows best, my yearnings become my service to God, "What do You want me to learn in and through this yearning?" God always answers with this question, "Do you trust Me, Salina? If you do, you will not be so sad but joyful because I have the best for you (him or her) and I love you (him or her)! You have placed your yearnings and your worries above Me behaving and feeling as if I don't know what I AM doing?" *** Trust In You by Lauren Daigle https://youtu.be/qv-SXz_exKE I have to remind myself and remember Who You are and what You have done in my life and in this world, Lord! You are faithful, holy, merciful, just, long-suffering, generous, dependable, good, love, kind, sovereign, wise.......I loe You and I adore You :-)

January 10, 2022 at 08:27 AM

Amen. :)

January 10, 2022 at 07:16 AM

Claire, your reflection is spot on. At the end you wrote, “…replace my distress with peace.” I kept thinking of how distress in this case is frequently “obsess.” We become obsessed with that which we don’t have or would like to have. We become focused on the without. My Cardinal Sheen reflection mentioned: “Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday.” God, may the peace of Easter Sunday free me from my obsession and replace my distress. Continued prayers for all those afflicted by COVID and the exhausted medical workers. Also lifting first responders, those who feel alone and those struggling with addiction. Ken, wondering if your ribs are healing?

Claire
January 10, 2022 at 02:09 PM

Thanks so much for your kind words Jane, and for the great point you make about obsessing. Wishing you peace and praying for all!

January 10, 2022 at 08:44 AM

Jane thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Yes the blessed ribs are recovered, I even swam 36 laps on Friday. Living faith family please keep father Ron in your prayers . Rose, Vicky G, Linda and Bonnie you are still in my thoughts and prayers. Ken

January 10, 2022 at 05:55 AM

Amen and Amen..May peace be with us all

Lia
January 10, 2022 at 07:48 AM

Amen. Thank you for a great response!

January 10, 2022 at 04:54 AM

To the men... telling your wife you are worth more than 10 sons when she is not able to bear children... not very smart.... comforting her... and listening... much better.

January 10, 2022 at 09:41 AM

Hannah's relationship with God, good or bad, affects her relationships with others including her husband. Does it really matter what Elkanah said to Hannah? I don't think so even when he comforted her and listened to her. I think he probably has done all that you said he should have done through the yearsss! This is Salina and now you know my interpretation of the story :-)

Stormy
January 10, 2022 at 08:55 AM

I think he is telling her that his love for her is unconditional and forever. Wow

Maggi
January 10, 2022 at 08:17 AM

I disagree. He was telling her he loved her no matter what. Now she had to come to grips with it herself