January 9, 2022
The Baptism of the Lord
This Moment
After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove.
Luke 3:21-22

Over the last few weeks, during Advent and Christmas, our liturgical focus has been on Jesus as an infant and child. And now, here, he is fully grown. What happened during those years in between?

Well, in the Spirit-guided witness of the Evangelists, we’re invited to put our curiosity aside and focus on the moments in front of us. And what about my life? What came before this moment? A lot. Much of it is a mystery lost to time, and all of it played a role in shaping the person I am today.

But none of it as important as this moment right now, the moment I’m being given to discern the Lord’s voice, to move forward from the waters of Baptism and follow Jesus.

Jesus, lead me forward.

- Amy Welborn

Is 42:1-4, 6-7 or 40:1-5, 9-11 • Ps 29:1-4, 9-10 or 104:1-4, 24-25, 27-30 • Acts 10:34-38 or Titus 2:11-14; 3:4-7 • Luke 3:15-16, 21-22

Comments

January 9, 2022 at 10:59 PM

Amy. Your words are always like a balm. So needed, so soothing. Thank you. Staying in the moment is hard. Especially for the impatient like myself. Keeping out of the past and trying not to focus on the future, Oy! God keep me focused on this moment and in making it all that it was meant to be. Continuing to lift those who are alone, who need help, who are depressed or who can’t ask for what they need. Thy will be done.

Maggi Shadroui Respond to comment
January 9, 2022 at 03:08 PM

My Dad would always say when eating a Lebanese dessert we make only at Christmas time"This is the best I have ever had!" "Really?" we would ask. "Yes, because I am having it right now!" Staying present for what our Higher Power puts before us is crucial. Pray for what's happened, what we want to happen, but stay in the moment celebrating what is.

January 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM

Amen! :)

January 9, 2022 at 10:46 AM

January 9, 2022 at 10:39 AM

Linda, Rose, Bonnie L and Vicky G please know that I am praying for you guys. Jane, Sandy, Patrick and Katj you are prayer warriors. I am so grateful to have all of you in our living faith family. In addition to the "wonder song: I will pray for all of you as I am driving this morning. Ken

January 9, 2022 at 10:37 AM

The term "Trinity" in Christian doctrine is never used/mentioned in Scripture. All three of them (Father, Son and the Holy Spirit) appeared individually at the same time in Scripture, Luke 3:21b-22 (Matthew 3:16-17; Mark 1:9-11), "Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are My beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”" *** Titus 2:11-14, "The grace of God has appeared, (resulting in) (1) saving all and (2) training us to reject godless ways and worldly desires and (3) to live temperately, justly, and devoutly in this age, (in order that) as we (4) await the blessed hope, (5) the appearance of the glory of our great God and savior Jesus Christ, (6 )Who gave Himself for us to deliver us from all lawlessness and (7) to cleanse for Himself a people as His own, eager to do what is good." Amen! *** Love the book of Isaiah, the Gospel of the Old Testament!!! Read every Word, it is all about Jesus! It was written 700 years before the birth of Jesus! *** I praise You, Lord Jesus Christ, Who reigns forever and ever! Amen!

January 9, 2022 at 10:27 AM

Well said Amy!! Thank you!

Amy Welborn
January 9, 2022 at 12:07 PM

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

January 9, 2022 at 09:58 AM

Thank you, Amy, for reminding me to focus on what is in front of me! Beautiful reflection! God bless!

Amy Welborn
January 9, 2022 at 12:08 PM

I need the reminder, too!

January 9, 2022 at 09:06 AM

Amen. Needed this reflection. I was just talking to god the other day wondering why it took me so long to come to know and love him. Where was he in those years I felt lost. But now I know he was always there. And it is this moment that I need to embrace and trust in his mercy. Prayers for all.

January 9, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Em I ask myself the same question. Then I realized that God was not gone away from me but I wasn't able to slow down enough to let him come to me. Living faith family I want to share a morning prayer I find special to me. Dear Lord, help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning. Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day. In Jesus' Name, Amen. Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers in your prayers Ironically I just found my original baptismal certificate. The church is gone rebuilt and renamed. I will keep you guys in my prayers. Ken