January 8, 2022
A Gospel Nod
…for John had not yet been imprisoned.
John 3:24

John’s Gospel is “Eyewitness News,” with locations as precise as a map, timings down to the minute. So, when some disciples of John the Baptist, whom they call “Rabbi,” report to him that Jesus is baptizing too, John the evangelist who recounts the event feels compelled to add: “John had not yet been imprisoned.” Well, of course John wasn’t in prison, not if he’s still baptizing! But this tiny note seems to be the Gospel’s nod to Mark’s earlier Gospel, coordinating the two accounts.

For us, the message is compelling as well. As John the Baptist bows to Jesus, John the evangelist bows to Mark, and we bow, too, to “complete” their joy, and our joy too! Bottom line: “He must increase; I must decrease” (John 3:30). And so the Christmas season comes to a close this weekend!

- Miguel Dulick

1 John 5:14-21 • Psalm 149:1-6, 9 John 3:22-30

Comments

January 8, 2022 at 01:13 PM

January 8, 2022 at 11:31 AM

The first reading is interesting and puzzling to me all at the same time! *** 1 John 5:16-17, "If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS DEADLY SIN, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly." What was John talking about??? (1) those whose sin is not deadly (2) such a thing as deadly sin (3) all wrongdoing is sin *** Sin is wrongdoing, non-deadly sin and deadly sin *** This is confusing to me in 1 John 5:18-19, "We know that anyone begotten by God does not sin; but the one begotten by God He protects, and the Evil One cannot touch him. We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the Evil One." (4) anyone begotten and protected by God does not sin (5) Evil One cannot touch him (6) the whole world is under the power of the Evil One *** (4) I know I am begotten and protected by God, but I do sin? (5) I do feel like the Evil One can touch me from time to time? (6) How sad and where is the hope if the whole world is under the power of the evil one? *** So how am I supposed to discern this reading of Scripture? *** Pray first...Lord, open my mind and my heart, give me understanding and help me with the applications of Your Word! Amen! *** Thank You, Lord! (1) Anything displeases God is sin (2) repented sins are not deadly (3) unrepented sins are deadly (4) I am begotten by God and protected by His Holy Spirit into repentance when I do sin (5) Evil One can only touch me in this physical realm but he does not win in my spiritual realm because the One Who is in me is greater than the one who is in the world (John 4:4b). (6) The Good News in John 12:31-32, "The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out. And when I am (Jesus) lifted up from the earth (died on the cross, risen from the dead and returned to the right hand side of the Father), I will draw everyone to Myself.” (7) Conclusion for me in 1 John 5:20-21, "We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment to know the One Who is true. And we are in the One Who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Children, be on your guard against IDOLS." I will not place anyone or anything or circumstances (idols) on Your Throne with the power of Your Holy Spirit! Amen!!!

January 8, 2022 at 09:42 AM

Thank you Miguel for giving us spiritual food for thought today. What will stay with me (and that i have always loved) is “He must increase, I must decrease.” As I continue through my day, I want to find Him increasing. Prayers for the quick recovery of all those households experiencing COVID. May they have minor symptoms and quickly recover. Prayers for those alone, those grieving and those experiencing loss through the holidays, especially those who have to rebuild their lives after tragedy.

Lia
January 9, 2022 at 11:14 AM

Amen! Thank you Salina for a great reflection! Have a great Sunday LFF :) God bless you all and keep you safe.

January 8, 2022 at 08:29 AM

Prayers for you Rose, and for the 2 that are getting sick. Hopefully as with many new cases it will be mild and short. As for you....keep the faith. God will provide you the strength you need to get through this. Blessings and prayers.

January 8, 2022 at 08:28 AM

Hi Rose. I just came across Romans chapter 12 verse 12. It touched me this morning. I hope it can help you out also. Praying for you.

January 8, 2022 at 07:57 AM

well, my house is going to need a lot of prayers. We had close contact with covid now 2 are getting sick. I have decided to stop taking a narcotic and on this first day have only had a couple hours of sleep. I know im in for a rough ride today and have very little faith in my ability to quit.

Bill L
January 8, 2022 at 03:28 PM

Sending healing prayers to you and your family, Rose.

January 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM

Rose I will pray for you right now. Please be careful about stopping medication, contact your physician if you need additional information. Most doctors offices have portal systems that answer you quickly It's a hard time for you and your family, know that the Lord is always around to help. Remember to slow down and say " speak Lord your servant is listening " Jane , Katj Rose your comments are great and an inspiration to me Living faith family please keep father Ron in your prayers. I am praying right now for all of you guys. Ken

January 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM

Rose, why do you stop taking your prescribed narcotics (pain med?) on this day when you are faced with the stress of 2 being sick and having closed contact of COVID? Pick a different day after your family recover from COVID! I pray God's wisdom and discernment be with you as He protects, provides and positions you through this. I pray in agreement with the Holy Spirit and in the Name of Jesus, Amen!

Katj
January 8, 2022 at 10:16 AM

Rose- praying for speedy recovery for your household and for strength and guidance for you. One day without is commendable and may lead to two. One day at a time, many blessing sent your way.

Marci
January 8, 2022 at 10:15 AM

Rose, I'm adding you to my prayer list and will be praying for God's strength for you every day. May He temper your pain/anxiety this day and give you His peace. Blessings to you, and a virtual hug. {{{ }}}

Jane
January 8, 2022 at 09:36 AM

Rose, ask God to give you what you need. Keep asking. We are asking God to protect and heal you. May you strengthen your conviction to be narcotic free and find comfort in connecting with others. Courage and strength during these days.

Marko
January 8, 2022 at 09:16 AM

Rose, I am praying for God's strength and healing over you and your household. Remember all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28.

Barbara
January 8, 2022 at 08:17 AM

All things are possible with God. Ask Him for help then thank Him for what he has done.

Sandy
January 8, 2022 at 08:15 AM

Dear Rose- the fact that you have written in reveals that you want prayers and thus help from above! Be strong- I’ll pray for you and yours! I have worried over the COVID situation constantly and therefore prayed constantly, so I know how you feel regarding how it will affect everyone. May God protect you all and give you fast healing!

Joann
January 8, 2022 at 08:12 AM

Prayers

January 8, 2022 at 07:54 AM

I am so happy to celebrate this last weekend of Christmas with our tree still up and a visit from our NYC son to finally come home and open his Christmas presents. :) Merry Christmas!

Katj
January 8, 2022 at 10:09 AM

Thank you Jane! I always look forward to reading your comments, you just know what to say. I personally think you should write for Living Faith.

Jane
January 8, 2022 at 09:33 AM

That is a lovely visual and thank you Katj for sharing. Blessings, love and joy to your household for the weekend.