January 7, 2022
St. Raymond of Penyafort
Your Will Be Done
“Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.” Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, “I do will it. Be made clean.”
Luke 5:12-13

Whenever I read this story, I want to cheer for the leper. It feels good to see Jesus give him what he asks for. Yet I also can’t help but recall times when Jesus didn’t do the same thing for me. I suppose the Lord did not wish it, but why didn’t he? Why is one person healed but not another? Why does one family endure a terrible loss while another family is spared?

Jesus promised that if we ask, we shall receive, but he does not specify what. We may ask for a physical healing, for instance, and receive an opportunity for spiritual healing instead—a chance to let go of pride, resentment or attachment. Maybe that is why Jesus also urged us to pray that “your will be done.” He taught us to humbly beseech the Father to do what is his will, no matter what ours might be.

Almighty Father, help me to trust in your will.

- Karla Manternach

1 John 5:5-13 • Psalm 147:12-15, 19-20 Luke 5:12-16

Comments

January 8, 2022 at 11:30 AM

The first reading is interesting and puzzling to me all at the same time! *** 1 John 5:16-17, "If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS DEADLY SIN, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly." What was John talking about??? (1) those whose sin is not deadly (2) such a thing as deadly sin (3) all wrongdoing is sin *** Sin is wrongdoing, non-deadly sin and deadly sin *** This is confusing to me in 1 John 5:18-19, "We know that anyone begotten by God does not sin; but the one begotten by God He protects, and the Evil One cannot touch him. We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the Evil One." (4) anyone begotten and protected by God does not sin (5) Evil One cannot touch him (6) the whole world is under the power of the Evil One *** (4) I know I am begotten and protected by God, but I do sin? (5) I do feel like the Evil One can touch me from time to time? (6) How sad and where is the hope if the whole world is under the power of the evil one? *** So how am I supposed to discern this reading of Scripture? *** Pray first...Lord, open my mind and my heart, give me understanding and help me with the applications of Your Word! Amen! *** Thank You, Lord! (1) Anything displeases God is sin (2) repented sins are not deadly (3) unrepented sins are deadly (4) I am begotten by God and protected by His Holy Spirit into repentance when I do sin (5) Evil One can only touch me in this physical realm but he does not win in my spiritual realm because the One Who is in me is greater than the one who is in the world (John 4:4b). (6) The Good News in John 12:31-32, "The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out. And when I am (Jesus) lifted up from the earth (died on the cross, risen from the dead and returned to the right hand side of the Father), I will draw everyone to Myself.” (7) Conclusion for me in 1 John 5:20-21, "We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment to know the One Who is true. And we are in the One Who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Children, be on your guard against IDOLS." I will not place anyone or anything or circumstances (idols) on Your Throne with the power of Your Holy Spirit! Amen!!!

January 8, 2022 at 11:32 AM

Oops...wrong date :-)

January 7, 2022 at 05:04 PM

That is spam from Cecilia Hills. Do not call or email…

Living Faith Team
January 7, 2022 at 05:06 PM

Thanks. We have deleted those comments that do not conform to our comment policy.

January 7, 2022 at 11:38 AM

As I read the devotion and comments I thought of the “perfect storm” for God to reveal His will to me: God’s will for me, God’s timing (not mine) and an open heart on my part.

January 7, 2022 at 11:18 AM

Living faith family please pray for the pastor of my church father Ron. This morning we have learned that he's been diagnosed with covid19. He is vaccinated and presently not showing severe symptoms. He is home quarantined. Please keep him in your prayers Ken

Jane
January 8, 2022 at 09:26 AM

Ken, we are lifting Father Ron for a speedy recovery. May it all pass quickly.

January 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM

Thank you Karla. I see how one family is spared and how Jesus doesn’t come into one’s heart until he is broken. As my family mourns the passing of my sister Laurie and my other sister Tina who passed in 2020. I am seeing such transformation of my nephew and my father. Thank you Lord Jesus for answering my prayers for their conversion, unfortunately through the loss of loved ones. Have a Blessed first Friday!

January 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM

I think sometimes our issues aren’t “for” us. God’s the master artist where all parts of the painting relate to each other so when hardships come to us they may be just as intended for those around us. I know from my situation, a person born with a rare form of muscular dystrophy, my health and needs have had an impact on those around me from the beginning. Praying for healing has been life long, and yes I certainly have wondered why that guy but not me. My thought are like Troy said “it happens”, but I believe it happens “for a reason”. God ALWAYS has a plan in it, how we and those around us react is the opportunity He gives us. Will we “seize the moment” and live a life Christ-worthy? I was also blessed with one son with the same MD as I have and one son with autism. Talk about statistics. Both have asked why? I have learned more about faith and God through their situations than I have my own and my brothers tell me that it is the same for them in experiencing life with me. Healing may not come for me but I know God’s plan for me is not just about me and that makes it ok.

Jane
January 8, 2022 at 09:24 AM

Vicky, thank you for sharing your faith and heart with us. You make us stronger with your words.

January 7, 2022 at 12:21 PM

What great faith you have, Vicky!!! Thank you for sharing your faith :-) Reminds me of Blessings by Laura Story https://youtu.be/XQan9L3yXjc

January 7, 2022 at 10:33 AM

I came across this searching for discovering God's will in Discovering God's will by Jesus Film, "For I know the plans I have for you (Jeremiah 29:10–14) This is what the Lord says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." When it comes to God's will, people often quote a portion of this promise: "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" It's critical to see this within the context of the prophet's statement. This promise was made to the entire nation of Israel who was in captivity, and it wouldn't be fulfilled until seventy years after Jeremiah had spoken. That means that an entire generation of Israelites would die in Babylon before this promise came to pass. When we as individuals interpret this promise as God's plan that we’ll only prosper and never suffer, we open ourselves up for disillusionment. As is the case for the captive Israelites, sometimes God's larger plan for His people means that some individuals must endure trying and difficult times." https://www.jesusfilm.org/blog-and-stories/20-bible-verses-discovering-gods-will.html *** First reading in 1 John 5...Testify - Give evidence, Bear witness; Testimony - Evidence, Declaration *** Testify...1 John 5:7-8, "So there are three who testify, the Spirit, the water, and the Blood, and the three are of one accord." *** Testimony...1 John 5:11-12, "And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life." ******* God the Father testified (give evidence and bear witness) for His Son Jesus with these testimonies: (1) Spirit - Holy Spirit at Jesus' baptism in Matthew 3:16-17 (2) Water - Salvation available through Jesus symbolized by water in Isaiah 12:3, John 4:13-14, John 7:38-39 (3) Blood - Jesus sacrifice on the cross for our sins in Hebrews 9:22, John 1:7, Ephesians 1:7 *** The bottom line is Jesus is the Son of God and the will of God is in John 3:16-17, "For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent His Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through Him." *** When I look at every situation, every difficulty and every encounter with the glasses of John 3:16-17, I know His will :-) *** And with every situation, every difficuty and every encounter, I testify and give testimonies...Only Jesus by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/VXIBP2BdYR8

January 7, 2022 at 10:21 AM

Thank you Karla for this deep devotional and prayer "Almighty Father, help me to trust in Your will". I would like to add, and to be able to "accept Your will". Oftentimes, I either felt the Lord did not answer me or maybe I didn't like His answer. It would not come to me until later in life and looking back, His answer was what I really needed....His will, not mine was done. The expression "the Lord works in mysterious ways" rings true. I love all of today's responses and may the Lord's will be done for all.

January 7, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Karla, thank you for your reflection on praying today. I can also relate to most comments this morning. Sometimes I am close to despair praying for my loved ones and wondering if God is hearing my pleas for intervention. I always have to recite to myself Padre Pios words: “Pray, hope and don’t worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

January 7, 2022 at 08:10 AM

January 7, 2022 at 08:09 AM

Karla, I have to re-iterate that I found today’s reflection to be exceptional. It also amazingly coincided with a meditation I saw from my Fulton Sheen book which I will share here. “Broken things are precious. We eat broken bread because we share inthe depth of our Lord and His broken life. Broken flowers give perfume. Broken incense is used in adoration. A broken ship saved Paul and many other passengers on their way to Rome. Sometimes the only way the good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them.” What will stay with me today is, “Jesus promised that if we ask, we shall receive, but he does not specify what.” That is so impactful. As our friend “A Sinner” posts daily, “Your Kingdom must come now. Thy will be done.” Also, thanks everyone for your wishes for my review. It was a non-event and that had both plusses and minuses. Happy Friday!

January 7, 2022 at 07:21 AM

Karla, Your commentary today is exceptional! Pure faith is a journey, and when we have come to true inner peace, we know that we have arrived! I have come to this point in the past few months and it is awesome. My family is messy and I have three loved ones who struggle with faith. I pray for each one everyday and have asked God for certain resolutions. I had been impatient for my daughter's reversion but one day I had an epiphany and realized that God was working in her in a different way. I am so thankful. He was also working on me! But the Holy Spirit has shown me His plan unfolding before my eyes. It is exciting and encouraging. My brother is calloused toward God. There is a glimmer of hope because he still believes in a supreme being but refuses to acknowledge any other belief and he is angry towards God because his grown son suffers with medical issues. My aunt prays but refuses to change her behavior. I see God working in her by challenging her on a daily basis. But she is old and unfortunately, miserable. I just have to pray harder for her! Bless you and keep doing our Lord's work!

January 7, 2022 at 08:00 AM

Linda, Cheryl, and Patrick you are so blessed and right on. Many times I have prayed only to be told wait or seen other solutions. I know how to run this world why doesn't the Lord put me in charge. Stealing from Isaiah " my ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts" Surrender prayer is always comforting to me Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the souls who have no one to pray for them in your prayers. Ken

January 7, 2022 at 05:55 AM

Amen. Amen to that Patrick. Currently, I am experiencing issues of despair but I have prayed about it, handed it over to the Lord Almighty, trusting in him and await his Supreme guidance in every way.

January 7, 2022 at 05:38 AM

You hit the spot for me with that devotional Karla. When I pray for any given situation I generally don’t specify a particular outcome, I usually trust in God to unravel the tangled knots and I accept that His will is the best for all involved. Without pausing for breath I can recall a number of situations where I had retreated to my self made cave of despair accompanied by despair anger resentment fear sadness etc. Depending on the issue I was dealing with it could be a single one or a combination of those emotions I carried on my shoulders. Then I had my light bulb eureka epiphany while grappling with one particular issue. Out of the blue I was guided to the following scripture Matthew 5:23-24. After I read the passage and thought it through I handed my problem over to the One who only has my in fact all of our best interests at heart. Looking back I can see how that issue and subsequently others were unravelled where previously my best attempts had proved fruitless. And God didn’t need me to supply the details of the problem nor my project plan for its solution Hand it over, trust in and wait on the Lord, and when you know with certainty (and in time you will know) that you are receiving divine guidance, go forward humbly and unafraid.

January 7, 2022 at 04:53 AM

Isaac, son of Abraham, was blind in in old age. God could have healed him, but was silent. Other examples can be found. David was sick before his death too. It happens.