January 6, 2022
St. André Bessette
A Humble Intercessor
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor.
Luke 4:18

As I finished classes at the University of Notre Dame in 2010, banners around campus celebrated the canonization of today’s saint, André Bessette of Montreal (1845-1937). A member of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, the order was justifiably proud to see one of their own honored by the whole Church.

Yet André’s story had humble beginnings, and he was nearly denied entrance into the order because of poor health. He was given the most menial tasks—doorkeeper, laundry worker, messenger—yet carried them out prayerfully. To the surprise of his superiors, his humility and devotion to St. Joseph had borne fruit in miraculous healings.

St. André lived out the mission of Jesus in today’s Gospel, the same call we each receive in Baptism. We are anointed too, becoming Christ to those who need healing and Good News.

Where will my baptismal mission take me today?

- Steve Pable

1 John 4:19—5:4 • Psalm 72:1-2, 14-15, 17 Luke 4:14-22a

Comments

January 7, 2022 at 12:21 PM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen Living Faith Family: Thank you for your offered prayers and May God Bless You Always

January 6, 2022 at 07:48 PM

Please pray for Jack Sandheus on intubation and an 8 yr old beautiful girl Layanne on seizure medication. In Jesus's Name Heal Them. Amen.

January 6, 2022 at 04:59 PM

To: A sinner, I am adding you to my prayer list tonight. To: Mike and Denise, Gerat news! To: Jane: Here is more info on the Little Book series. Lent and Easter books are up next. https://littlebooks.org/ **Update on my brother; He started his chemo 'cocktails' yesterday. One to kill the cells and one to shrink the tumors. We'll see the progress in a few months.

Jane
January 7, 2022 at 07:55 AM

Bill, thanks for the reference and hoping your brother’s initial chemo cocktail provides a strong 1!2 punch! Continued prayers.

January 6, 2022 at 01:52 PM

The “sinner’s” son and family are being held up in prayers for heart troubles to disappear and the remaining family who was inoculated to be protected from the virus and any unpleasant side effects. Our God is the great physician and can heal hearts completely. Whether it be miraculously or with medication- the choice is His. I can tell you, God wants His children healthy. All it takes is a little mustard seed faith, healthy habits, Eucharist, and a little relaxation and we shall see good results. Healings are God’s specialities for His children. Count me in as believing your son is already healed, he is just catching up with it.

Mike and Denise Respond to comment
January 6, 2022 at 11:03 AM

Good morning LFF prayer warriors, Denise and I thank you for all the prayers for her surgery, it went well and she is recovering nicely. May God continue to Bless You All!

Jane
January 7, 2022 at 07:53 AM

Yeah! Amen.

January 6, 2022 at 12:04 PM

:-) To God be all the glory!

January 6, 2022 at 08:32 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen Living Faith Family: I don't normally make any requests here as I usually read the scriptures and devotions and offer my prayers. But I would like to request prayers for my son and his family. Both my son and his wife took the covid shot along with the booster and have had their three children receive the shot as well. My son has revealed to me that his heart has been damaged and he will be having a stress test today. May I ask for prayers for him that his test have a positive outcome? Maybe prayers that the rest of that beautiful family that God and our Lord Jesus Christ keep them healthy and let no harm come to them due to that shot? Thank you Living Faith Family

Jane
January 7, 2022 at 07:52 AM

A Sinner, thank you for writing and asking. You are so generous every day in helping to cast away the evil in our lives. And as you have asked, so are we asking in community with you, that God release the warrior angels and heavenly hosts to surround your son and his family and protect them. Continued prayers for them and lifting your daughter and granddaughter, (and you) too!

Mike & Denise
January 6, 2022 at 03:06 PM

Our prayers are coming for all of you

EM 1
January 6, 2022 at 01:01 PM

Praying.

Pam
January 6, 2022 at 11:28 AM

Dear sweet "A Sinner". You faithfully post your heart's prayer here almost every day. I am humbled to be asked to pray for your son and his family...and, you. I still whisper up a prayer every now and then for your daughter and granddaughter too, I pray them well. God Bless You, and All Who You Love.

Sandy
January 6, 2022 at 10:44 AM

Prayers for you and your family for positive results.

Vicky G
January 6, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Praying. May your son be ok and the family as well.

CC
January 6, 2022 at 10:16 AM

Prayers for all of you.

January 6, 2022 at 10:13 AM

I will pray for you and your son and his family. Saint Michael also will be fighting for your family's well being. Ken

Holly
January 6, 2022 at 10:06 AM

I will be praying for your son and his family. God bless.

Mike E
January 6, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Sending prayers for your family. Lord hear our prayers.

January 6, 2022 at 09:44 AM

Praying for your son and his family! Psalm 91:1-7, "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you." Amen!

Barbara
January 6, 2022 at 09:16 AM

My prayers are for you, your son and his family. God bless you all.

GHH
January 6, 2022 at 09:01 AM

Prayers for you, Sinner, Beloved Child of God, “all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well." (Julian of Norwich). And all shall be well for Jane, too. Amen.

Stormy
January 6, 2022 at 08:43 AM

A Sinner, Prayers for your son and his family.

January 6, 2022 at 08:27 AM

*** Prophecy from Isaiah 61:1 quoted by Jesus in Luke 4:17-19, "He (Jesus) stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captive and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord." *** Prophecy from Isaiah 61:1 fulfilled by Jesus in Luke 4:20-21, "Rolling up the scroll, He (Jesus) handed it back to the attendant and sat down, and the eyes of all in the synagogue looked intently at Him. He said to them, “Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.”" *** What does that mean for you and me? First reading going backwards (1 John 5:4-1) gives me this picture about my faith (1) The victory that conquers the world is my faith (2) Whoever is begotten by God conquers the world (3) Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is begotten by God.......When I believe in Jesus, I am begotten by God! When I am begotten by God, I can conquer the world. When I see victory in conquering the world, I have confidence in my faith! ******* The result of my faith in 1 John 4:21, 19, "This is the commandment we have from Him: Whoever loves God must also love his brother...we love God because He first loved us!" Amen!!!

January 6, 2022 at 08:18 AM

January 6, 2022 at 08:01 AM

Steve, thanks for sharing this. My brother was a Notre Dame grad and when we pass people with ND gear we frequently say, “Go Irish!” What will stay with me today is “glad tidings.” How can I bring glad tidings to those around me today. I may also need some glad tidings as I have my performance review from last year at the end of the day. Thy will be done and continued prayers for the passing of the pandemic, all those who need prayers and those who feel alone. BTW…I’m still not a robot :-).

January 6, 2022 at 10:21 AM

Jane I will pray for you and your family and for a positive performance review. Pretty snow flakes falling, every thing is pure and white Pray for the folks who are traveling that they will safe. Keep the nurses and doctors and all the people who work in the medical field in your prayers. As always pray for the souls in purgatory and those who have no one to pray for them. I think I saw two snowflakes that were exactly the same . Ken

Holly
January 6, 2022 at 10:09 AM

Prayers for an excellent review and many blessings! Thanks for your uplifting comments.

EM 1
January 6, 2022 at 08:12 AM

Amen. Jane prayers that you have a terrific performance review. Bill, thank you for the reminder that today is also Three Kings Day and for sharing a prayer so perfect to bless our homes today. Prayers for the LF Family intentions.

January 6, 2022 at 07:43 AM

January 6, 2022 at 05:52 AM

Not only is this the feast of St. André Bessette, Jan. 6th is also the feast of the Epiphany. Celebrated as the Magi visited the Holy Family in their home away from home. On this occasion homes were blessed. As my Little Blue Book winds down, it gave us a prayer for the homes we live in. ------ "Be my shelter, Lord, when I am at home, my companion when I am away, and my welcome guest when I return. And at last receive me into the dwelling place you have prepared for me in your Father's house, where you live forever and ever, Amen.

Gayle
January 6, 2022 at 10:32 AM

I also read the little blue book. It was given by my church in Kingman Az. this year but my friend in Sahinaw Mi. used to send me one for lent or advent. It is based on the writings of Bishop Ken Untener who was bishop in Saginaw when I lived there.

Jane
January 6, 2022 at 07:53 AM

Bill L, I love the prayers you have shared from your little blue book. I’m not sure what that is…care to share? Thank you for allowing us to pray that one, as well.

Alyssa Peacock