January 4, 2022
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
In This Is Love
In this way the love of God was revealed to us.
1 John 4:9

Every morning I end prayer time by reciting a version of the Anima Christi that I learned from the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. One line consistently brings me pause: “Let me not run from the love which You offer.” Why is it so difficult for me to believe deep in my core that I am loved?

I can’t even begin to talk about loving others if I don’t trust and accept the generous love God has for me. In today’s reading, St. John makes it clear: “this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us” (verse 10). First and foremost, God loved me, he loved us. I can only believe in this love if God is not an idea in my life, but a relationship. As I sit in quiet prayer with him, this reality grows in my heart.

O Sacred Heart of Jesus, help me to grow in the certainty that you love me!

- María Ruiz Scaperlanda

1 John 4:7-10 • Psalm 72:1-4, 7-8 Mark 6:34-44

Comments

January 4, 2022 at 11:51 AM

Profound thoughts about God’s love for us birth the most inherent, fulfillment, valuable parts of our lives. There are no greater thoughts “than to comprehend God’s love for His children.”

January 4, 2022 at 09:56 AM

Reminds me of these verses in *** 1 John 4:18-19, "Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love. We love each other because He loved us first!" *** 1 John 4:16-17, "We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in His love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face Him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world!" *** Matthew 22:36-40, "Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?” Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the FIRST and greatest commandment. A SECOND is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” ******* (1) I judge (fear) because I don't feel good about myself and judging others makes me feel good about myself for a moment. (2) I don't feel good about myself (fear) because I don't know how much God loves me with His perfect love. (3) I don't know how much God loves me because I expect others to return my love for them. (4) I expect others to return my love for them because I don't know how much God loves me and I put them above God resulting in disappointment.(5) My disappointment of others not returning my love for them makes me feel not good about myself. (6) Not feeling good about myself makes me judge others. (7) See the cycle? Breaking the cycle by the correct order in the commandments: (1) Receive the perfect love of God in Jesus, (2) love God first and (3) out of the overflow of His perfect love, love others second and expect nothing in return! *** Love God Love People by Danny Gokey https://youtu.be/t-29WLQ3trA

January 4, 2022 at 09:28 AM

January 4, 2022 at 08:17 AM

Good morning LFF Community….it’s back to work for me today. Trying to keep my levels of enthusiasm high and present for all those with me making the transition after the break. I loved Maria’s reflection since I think this concept of not feeling worthy of love can have something to do with how we speak to ourselves. I frequently suffer from too much judgement on others and myself. In a daily inspiration I came across this quote from Cardinal Sheen..”Criticism of others is thus an oblique form of self-commendation. We think we make the picture hang straight on our wall by telling our neighbors that all his pictures are crooked.” Lord, teach me to understand that you love me just how I am and you love them just how they are, no matter how crooked our pictures are.

Celia
January 4, 2022 at 12:19 PM

This!! I love this!! Thank you!

January 4, 2022 at 08:11 AM

Thank you Maria, I agree with Patrick…what a comforting reality! I look forward to my quiet morning prayers and will think of how much we are loved every day. Thank you LFF for your prayers yesterday.

January 4, 2022 at 08:07 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must e done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 4, 2022 at 07:50 AM

January 4, 2022 at 07:23 AM

Prayers!

Debbie Lucia Barrett Respond to comment
January 4, 2022 at 06:59 AM

praying for Denise ????

Mike and Denise Respond to comment
January 4, 2022 at 05:03 AM

Good morning LFF prayer warriors, I’m humbly asking for prayers this morning for my wife Denise as she has out patient surgery this morning to remove an parathyroid gland that’s producing to much calcium. I know with your prayers God will carry her safely through this. Thank you! And God Bless you all. Amen

Bill L
January 4, 2022 at 04:35 PM

Mike, you and Denise Will be in my rosary this evening.

CC
January 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM

Prayers for Denise

January 4, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Praying for God's wisdom be with the surgeon in identifying and removing the bad from the good parathyroids! May God protect Denise from infection after surgery! May God orchestrates smooth recovery resulting in hormones and calcium back to normal! God bless you Mike and your wife Denise! May God be all the glory in this event and your encounter with Him :-)

Jane
January 4, 2022 at 08:10 AM

MIke, We are lifting Denise this morning for successful surgery and fast healing. Prayers sent.

Katj
January 4, 2022 at 07:59 AM

Praying for Denise’s health this morning.

Sandy
January 4, 2022 at 07:01 AM

Mike- have faith! Prayers are winging their way! May she be healed and you find peace in the assurance of God’s healing power.

Joann
January 4, 2022 at 06:12 AM

Prayers forhealingfor Denise and forthcoming r ord and health care professionals taking care of her.

john kuzmitsky
January 4, 2022 at 06:07 AM

prayers for a great outcome.

Lia
January 4, 2022 at 06:04 AM

Many prayers for Denise

January 4, 2022 at 04:52 AM

“Let me not run from the love which You offer.” Would you expound on that? How and why do you run from his love?

January 4, 2022 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, I did run from His love for the first 44 years of my life :-( I didn't think HIs love is worth anything compared to the education, money and status I could make on my own. "I did it my way!" I didn't want to owe God anything so I didn't have to do all the things He wanted me to do. How does someone run from His love? Bottom line - PRIDE!!!

Vicky G
January 4, 2022 at 09:53 AM

Not sure what what Maria is exactly trying to convey but I know when you love something/someone you take the risk of being hurt. If that something/someone doesn’t go your way, maybe takes a different direction than you wanted, or if that love takes you through hard times it may be tempting to run the other direction on an easier path. But if that someone truly loves you it is so worth it. Blessings for your day Troy!

Sandy
January 4, 2022 at 07:02 AM

I think she means she feels unworthy of his love.

January 4, 2022 at 01:23 AM

What a comforting reality to start the day and keep in focus come what may. Thank you Maria