January 3, 2022
The Most Holy Name of Jesus
Never Alone
…the people who sit in darkness
have seen a great light,
on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death
light has arisen.
Matthew 4:16

If we read this passage on a day when our hope is dim or our spirits flagging, we might take comfort in noticing the tense of the verbs used. “Have seen” a great light means that it has already happened, not that we will see it only in the future. A light “has arisen” confirms that this is so. These are not vague wishes waiting to be fulfilled. These are the sure word of the Holy One, present and at work in our midst.

No matter how thick the cloud of darkness or uncertainty or despair, no matter that our present situation makes us feel as if we sit alone in a land overshadowed by sin and death, we can place our hope in the God whose care is unending, the God who never abandons.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

1 John 3:22—4:6 • Psalm 2:7-8, 10-12 Matthew 4:12-17, 23-25

Comments

January 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM

Jesus, You are the light of the world. Fill my mind with Your peace and my heart with Your love!

January 3, 2022 at 10:28 AM

January 3, 2022 at 10:09 AM

With God anything and all things are possible!! Thank you Sister for that reminder....

January 3, 2022 at 09:07 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for today's Gospel. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray' and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 3, 2022 at 09:02 AM

I use Living Faith for my daily spiritual food. Your kind words give me strength and guidance in my life. I am a Catechist and I encourage my charges to read the word daily. Keep up the good work of Jesus Christ it saves his people from harm.

January 3, 2022 at 09:01 AM

*** "We receive from Him (Jesus) whatever we ask," 1 John 3:22a Really? How? "We keep His commandments and do what pleases Him." 1 John 3:22b *** What are His commandments? "We should (1) believe in the Name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and (2) love one another!" 1 John 3:23 *** Resulting in "Those who keep His commandments (1) remain in Him, and (2) He in them," 1 John 3:24a *** How do I know that? "And the way we know that He remains in us is from the (Holy) Spirit that He gave us." 1 John 3:24b *** There is a warning. "Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits (from the world) to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1 *** How can I tell the Holy Spirit from the spirits of the world? "This is how you can know the Spirit of God: every spirit that (1) acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh belongs to God and (2) every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus does not belong to God. (3) This is the spirit of the antichrist that, as you heard, is to come, but in fact is already in the world." 1 John 4:2-3 *** The Good News, "You belong to God, children, and you have conquered them (spirits), for the One Who (Holy Spirit) is in you is greater than the one who is in the world (spirits). 1 John 4:4 *** The differences, "They (spirits) (1) belong to the world; accordingly, (2) their teaching belongs to the world, and (3) the world listens to them. We (1) belong to God, and (2) anyone who knows God listens to us, while (3) anyone who does not belong to God refuses to hear us." 1 John 4:5-6a ******* "This is how we know the Spirit of Truth (Holy Spirit) and the spirit of deceit (spirits of the world)." 1 John 4:6b *** Jesus prayed to the God the Father specifically for us to discern the Holy Spirit from the spirits of the world in John 17:14-19, "I have given them Your Word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the Truth; Your Word is Truth. As You sent Me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify Myself, that they too may be truly sanctified." *** Romans 12:2, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will." *** 1 John 2:17, 26-27, "And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever...I am writing these things to warn you about those who want to lead you astray. But you have received the Holy Spirit, and He lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what He teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as He has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ." Amen!

January 3, 2022 at 08:46 AM

Thank you Sr. Chris, as I read this on the day when my spirits are flagging just a bit as I am finishing a long Christmas break and return to work tomorrow. I am grateful for my job and grateful for the time that I had to renew and restore. I know the light is with me and will be with me tomorrow for re-entry. Continued prayers for those returning to school and first responders. To keep the light a bit longer, my Christmas tree will remain up all week!

January 3, 2022 at 08:12 AM

January 3, 2022 at 08:04 AM

Thank you - I pray that I see the light with a couple of self tasks and hurdles that I must overcome at this time. I also, pray that my brother, his wife and my other sister in law recovery quickly from Covid.

Katj
January 4, 2022 at 08:03 AM

Thank you Bill, Jane and Ken for your prayers. Please keep praying for them. I just love this LFF!

Bill L
January 3, 2022 at 05:22 PM

Praying for you and your family tonight, Katj. Thank you, Sr. Chris, for letting us know the Light is already among us.

Jane
January 3, 2022 at 08:42 AM

Katj, praying for a fast recovery and that their symptoms are light. Sending you light to brighten your path on the tasks and make the hurdles smaller than they appear.

January 3, 2022 at 08:34 AM

Katj Our our prayer warrior, I will pray for you and your brother and his wife and family as well as your sister in law. I will bring my thoughts and prayers for them at Mass this morning. Living faith family the sun is just coming up over the trees. Light is glistening on the snow I am grateful to be alive. Please keep your prayers going for the souls in purgatory and the souls who have no one to pray for them. Essential workers are still working every day and include the teachers and staff members who are starting to return to school I am grateful for all that I have been given and for the living faith family Ken

January 3, 2022 at 06:29 AM

Amen, looking forward to the light that God provides.

January 3, 2022 at 06:07 AM

Receive the Light of the World and believe that He is there to cast off the shadows of darkness!