January 2, 2022
The Epiphany of the Lord
It’s Our Epiphany Too
They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother.
Matthew 2:10-11

As a child, I knew it was really the Christmas season when the lights and decorations went up all around the neighborhood. The twinkling lights got our attention, focusing our young hearts and minds on what was ahead—presents! Maybe this year a new bike?

Those lights and decorations—perhaps more than ever before—still beckon us, still draw our attention to the coming of the season. But often, they fail to direct us to the sacred moment of the birth of Jesus. They fall short of moving us from the decorated outside to the quiet interior where the baby Jesus and his parents wait patiently for us. We still need to enter that house, need to remember and worship the reality of divine love that lives beyond the glittering lights. Maybe this year a new life?

What is your hope and prayer for this new year in Christ?

- Steve Givens

Isaiah 60:1-6 • Psalm 72:1-2, 7-8, 10-13 Ephesians 3:2-3a, 5-6 • Matthew 2:1-12

Comments

January 2, 2022 at 09:49 PM

*** Paul’s definition of epiphany described in Ephesians 3:3a, 4b, “the mystery was made known to me (Paul) by revelation… my insight into the mystery of Christ,” *** Paul’s specific epiphany listed in Ephesians 3:6, “that the Gentiles ( you and I) are (1) coheirs, (2) members of the same body, and (3) copartners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.” *** My epiphany in Ephesians 3:2, “You have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me (Paul) for your benefit,” God’s grace requires stewardship and that stewardship results in others benefit :-) ******* I want to be a good steward of God’s grace in 2022 resulting in the benefits for others as God pleases, Amen! Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/Y-4NFvI5U9w

January 2, 2022 at 04:45 PM

Thank you all for sharing your wishes and prayers for the coming year. It's an honor and privilege to write for Living Faith and to be in community with all of you through its pages. God bless you all in 2022!

January 2, 2022 at 04:27 PM

With 2022 starting off with the news of my brother's medical issues, our family has stepped up and rallied around him. Whatever the future holds we will face it together. Great news about Rosie, Jo. Continued prayers for all in need.

Jane
January 3, 2022 at 08:36 AM

Bill L, so glad your family is stepping up around your brother and he can feel the love and support during a challenging time. Continued prayers for all of you.

January 2, 2022 at 03:48 PM

I’m going think like Naomi from South Africa during trials: I truly believed that the Lord was in full control of my life and that things were in the process of changing. Through it all, I chose to put all my faith in God, knowing that He would restore and change my life. I knew that God loved me and that it hurt Him to see me go through all of this. I also knew that He would bring to pass what He had promised in His Word. During that period, I fed on God’s Word and His grace and chose to focus on the many blessings I was already enjoying— health, joy, peace, and having Jesus in my life. A year later, the Lord blessed me with a good job, a car, a home, and a wonderful man who is also madly in love with Jesus. My son also sleeps peacefully now. We are sold out to Jesus and the gospel of grace, sharing it wherever we go.

January 2, 2022 at 09:26 PM

Thank you for sharing, Robin! It warms my heart, puts a smile on my face and I quietly scream Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ :-)

January 2, 2022 at 11:51 AM

I choose to be kinder to others and to myself; To me the word “kinder” encompasses so many good traits.

January 2, 2022 at 10:30 AM

January 2, 2022 at 09:50 AM

I thought I would respond today to a comment….then another, then another! All the comments today are soul touching! Each one inspires and encourage me. When I was a kid in Baltimore it was almost sinful to take down ones Christmas lights and decorations before Epiphany—for any reason not weather or return to work etc. For the last couple of decades all the homes in my areas have ripped the Christian decorations down the weekend after Christmas if not the next day—I fear because they no longer understand Christmas is not a day but a committed. Thank you all for allowing me to still enjoy the “lights” of Christmas during this Blessed season. Praying for you all and the youth of the world.

Margaret
January 3, 2022 at 05:22 AM

I also leave my tree up until the Epiphany...something my parents were faithful in doing. I have friends that put their tree up before or day after Thanksgiving this year and took it down the day after Christmas (done with the decorations or the tree was dead). It feels wrong (and so bare) to not have the house decorated for New Years.

January 2, 2022 at 09:34 AM

To be a more loving, compassionate, and humble husband.

January 2, 2022 at 09:29 AM

I have great news — my sister Rosie came home from the hospital on New Year’s Eve! Thank you for your prayers for Rosie she is my Christmas miracle! My New Year’s resolutions: to spend more time before the blessed sacrament at least 10 minutes a day after Holy Mass, to try to pray more attentively and have less distractions and to try to be more patient with myself, with those around me and with circumstances I cannot change. May the grace of God help me to be faithful!

Jane
January 3, 2022 at 08:38 AM

Jo, love that Rosie is home and that you will always have that special Christmas memory and miracle. Continued prayers for her strengthening.

January 2, 2022 at 10:23 AM

Jo great news tell Rosie that I will keep her and her family and you in my prayers this afternoon. Living faith family I am so grateful and impressed with your comments and reflections and desires to love God and people more. I always have new years resolutions. Lose weight, exercise more,less alcohol . They are never fully achieved except during lent. This year I am going to actively try to teach in the family faith formation group of my parish family. I am also going to get involved in the immigration resettlement program we have in buffalo. I am going to try to respond and share with the living faith family. Those are my intentions BUT " the road to ??? is paved with good intentions " Keep your prayers for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and the souls who have no one to pray for them . Happy new year's Ken .

January 2, 2022 at 09:19 AM

My wish is to know God more closely and continue to enhance my prayer life.

January 2, 2022 at 08:49 AM

May this New Year bring God out into the World that has begun to censor him. May we bring his word to all people!

January 2, 2022 at 08:09 AM

Yes Steve. You are directing us back to the good news of the gospel message. Every year I try to use the Holy Family Postage Stamps for our Christmas Cards. I never found any this year. I had to use "otters playing in the snow". Another symptom of how we as a nation are loosing the Good News of what Christmas is all about. Pray for our nation this New Year 2022. God Bless You All.

Margaret
January 3, 2022 at 05:14 AM

My post office was sold out of the holy family stamps when I mailed my cards on 12/20. I was surprised since that's never happened to me. I was bummed for me, but celebrated that they were sold out. I went to a different post office on 12/22 and they had some. I hope your post office being sold out was also a good sign that people were connecting to the reason for the season.

john kuzmitsky
January 2, 2022 at 08:25 AM

there were religious stamps. i always send religious cards and use religious stamps. it helps affirm my belief at christmas time.

January 2, 2022 at 07:11 AM

Continue to trust in the Word and the pruning that is moulding my life to gradually become the person God created me to be.

January 2, 2022 at 06:43 AM

Amen...my wish is to draw closer to Christ in his likeness...

January 2, 2022 at 05:26 AM

Forgiveness from those I have hurt and their hearts which I have selfishly broken.