January 1, 2022
Mary, the Mother of God
Mary’s Example
…reflecting on them in her heart.
Luke 2:19

Celebrating Mary as the Mother of God may run the risk of obscuring the deeply human context of this feast. Put simply, Mary did not drop out of the blue. For all her singularity, what is true about her in the first place is that she belonged to a family, to a people and to a tradition. She was schooled in that tradition, in that long and patient waiting for the Messiah who would fulfill God’s promises to Israel. Her singular role makes no sense apart from her being a representative of the great longings of her people.

For us, Mary’s example invites us to be grateful for our own families, for our family of faith and for the more than two thousand years of our faith tradition that continues to inspire lives of generosity and compassion and service. At the beginning of a new year, we do well to see how much we are borne up by the faith of others and by the love and mercy of God.

- Fr. Dennis Gallagher, A.A.

Numbers 6:22-27 • Psalm 67:2-3, 5-6, 8 Galatians 4:4-7 • Luke 2:16-21

Comments

January 1, 2022 at 08:48 PM

What a great game at Rose Bowl with less than 2 minutes to go tied at 45 to 45!!! I love college football :-)

January 1, 2022 at 06:52 PM

Loved the question and comments in today’s devotion! *** Reminds me of Deuteronomy 29:29, “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.” I focus on what is revealed to me in Scripture because it belongs to me and it gives me solid instructions to focus and follow! *** Mary was in God’s plan for sure and I admire and want to follow her simple and solid faith, not blind faith. She knew God so well to the point that she listed everything He has done in (Mary’s song) Luke 1:46-55, “ And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great thing for me—holy is His Name. His mercy extends to those who fear Him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped His servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and His descendants forever, just as He promised our ancestors.” *** Elizabeth by the power of the Holy Spirit declared Mary was blessed in Luke 1:45, “Blessed is she who (Mary) has believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!” ******* Do I know and believe God as well as Mary did? Do I have a Salina’s song? I know I’m in God’s plan as He has promised in His Word! Do you know you are in God’s plan just as Mary did? So were Peter, Paul, Mathew, Mark, Luke, John and all of His children in God’s plan :-) And I say Amen! Can God do what He wants to do and accomplish His plan without Mary, everyone I mention above or me? Absolutely, I have no doubt because He is God! But God chose Mary and He chooses you and I :-) How do you respond to His call?

January 1, 2022 at 01:23 PM

This may be simplistic and naive but without Mary would we have Jesus? If Mary hadn’t followed God’s by plan, Ben obedient, would we have Jesus. I pray to Mary to emulate blind trust in God ‘s plan. Bill, your brother is on my prayer list.

January 1, 2022 at 01:16 PM

Have a Very Blessed 2022! Remember we are Blessed to be a Blessing! Help someone else, like other's helps us! God Blessed you all!

Barbara VanDyke Respond to comment
January 1, 2022 at 01:07 PM

Where can I find the paper back copy pf the the living faith daily deotional for 2022

January 1, 2022 at 01:41 PM

https://www.livingfaith.com/subscribe , "please contact us at LF@bayardfaithresources.com or 1-800-246-7390."

January 1, 2022 at 10:47 AM

While Mary doesn’t show up too much, I think about Joseph, too, who’s role was indispensable, but certainly not chronicled. Sometimes I feel like Mary is forever behind the scenes, yet she made appearances in France and Mexico to the youngsters. She is the always listening mother. She taps Jesus to help us out, too. Happy NY everyone and continued prayers for Bill L’s brother.

January 1, 2022 at 10:41 AM

Prayers for all the Living Faith Family. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and comments. May God bless all of us in 2022.

January 1, 2022 at 10:33 AM

Amen. Happy New Year, LF Family!

January 1, 2022 at 09:28 AM

Happy New Year to all the LF family. Hopefully in many ways better then '21. Bill...I will pray for your brother and his outcome. Mary....mother of God,our mother, My mother....pray for all of us.

January 1, 2022 at 08:44 AM

This is a great song to start our new year, 2022, as it did in 2021! You may not think 2021 was a good year, but God did and does or He would not have let it happen! The question is if you trust His plan, believe in His power and know His person? *** The blessing by Elevation Worship https://youtu.be/Zp6aygmvzM4 *** Numbers 6:24-26, “ The LORD bless you and keep you! The LORD let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you! The LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace!” Amen! *** The disciples were very sad and disappointed when Jesus died on the cross that day. But what they didn’t know was the day Jesus died was the greatest day for humanity in history!!! ******* Do you know this God person, Jesus? If you do, do you trust Him and His promises? If you do know Him and trust Him, do you know His promises? If you do know Him, trust Him and know His promises, do you live your lives like you do? If you don’t to any of these questions above, today is a good day to make your decision to know Him, to trust Him and His promises :-) At the beginning of our BSF student program every September, we tell the student and continue to serve them to know God, to love God, to enjoy God and to glorify God :-):-):-) Blessed New Year, LFFamily! Love, Salina

Patrick
January 1, 2022 at 01:05 PM

Thanks for the app Salina, I look forward to using it. Happy New Year to you all. Pat

January 1, 2022 at 09:12 AM

Here is WordGo on your phone and devices by yourself or with your family, friends and church to get deeper into His Word: https://www.wordgo.org/

January 1, 2022 at 08:11 AM

Happy New Year Living Faith family! I'm looking forward to more sharing of our faith and prayers for one another. May your year be filled with good health, love and a stronger faith.

Lia
January 1, 2022 at 10:30 AM

Thank you Salina for the song!! What a great song to begin the New Year :)! Happy New Year Living Faith Family!

January 1, 2022 at 08:04 AM

St. Thérèse of Lisieux offers this advice: “Do not be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her enough. And Jesus will be very happy, because the Blessed Virgin is His Mother.”

January 1, 2022 at 07:25 AM

Amen. In my humble opinion, While Mary may not be mentioned very much she doesn’t need to be. Her (and St Joseph) trust and faith in Gods plan is and will always be connected to Jesus. To Jesus through Mary. Prayers for all. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2022 at 07:18 AM

Amen and Happy New Year to all. Thank you, Holy Father, for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you, Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

January 1, 2022 at 06:28 AM

Considering Mary is hardly mentioned in the Bible makes me wonder why we emphasize her this much. After a few verses, she disappears. The letters from Paul and John rarely bring her up. Perhaps we need to keep our eyes more on Jesus and less on Mary.

Rebecca
January 1, 2022 at 11:03 AM

Troy, like Rosy, I am thankful for your comments, both for this reflection and previous readings and reflections. I have found myself having similar questions, and I appreciate your calling attention to various topics, as well as the many responses from other posters here at LF who oftentimes give me new perspectives that I may not have considered.

Vicky G
January 1, 2022 at 10:54 AM

I think it’s about worship Troy. We need to worship our one true God but there are many ways to recognize that and get to that point in our lives. There can be times in our lives that maybe we can’t identify with a male figure or understand why God/Jesus/The Holy Spirit allows us to struggle feeling alone. I think this is Mary’s role as well as the saints. She was His mother and a woman. Human nature provides a mother or a woman with a different perspective of life as does being a man and/or father. When it is so dark in one’s life or maybe just a bit lonely, Mary’s life, described or not, was that of a wife and mother which means she lived and died just like you and me battling the problems of the day. She was there at the foot of the cross says the Bible and that’s enough to tell me she loved her Son and didn’t abandon Him at a very scary and dangerous moment……so I won’t either and if I need to think on how she accomplished that or maybe how she felt or maybe even why she had to endure such heartbreak if not the physical pain, then I see her as the best guide to her Son. I don’t worship her but I am glad my years in Catholic school with the Franciscan nuns taught me I could lean on her when I need to. God bless you Troy for your faith and love you share with us here as well as all of our beyond wonderful group of individuals, Happy New Year all!!

Rosy
January 1, 2022 at 08:50 AM

Troy, your comments always make me think and reflect. I love them.

January 1, 2022 at 04:37 AM

Hope 2022 goes better for everyone. Just spent yesterday in the hospital with my brother. Waiting for biopsy but most likely 'C' His wife pasted away 14 yrs. ago from it. Not a good start to the new year. Thank you in advance for your prayers.

Katj
January 1, 2022 at 11:17 AM

Bill- keeping your brother and family in my prayers.

Jane
January 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM

Bill, we are praying for your brother and lifting him towards the light. I am sending him strength and courage for his journey ahead and wishing for God’s love to be felt by him.

January 1, 2022 at 09:24 AM

Bill l Praying you and your brother right now. Yes the Surrender pray works. Going to Mass at our new family of parishes. It is the 100th anniversary of the building of the church. Living faith family happy new year and I so grateful to have you guys to inspire and support me. Thank you Keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families and the souls who have been struggling with the weather tragedies, in your prayers Ken

Stormy
January 1, 2022 at 08:52 AM

Bill prayers to you

January 1, 2022 at 08:23 AM

Praying for you and your brothers! Treatments for cancer are effective and many options if that’s the diagnosis. May the Holy Spirit wrap His arms around your brother and give him love and confidence to conquer fear of cancer and fear of death! I pray in Jesus’ Name and in agreement of the Holy Spirit! Psalm 139:15-18, “My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand — when I awake, I am still with You.” Amen!

Joann
January 1, 2022 at 08:10 AM

Prayers for your brother and your family.

Joann
January 1, 2022 at 08:09 AM

Prayers for your brothers and your family.

Sandy
January 1, 2022 at 08:02 AM

Bill, my prayers to you and your family.

Tony
January 1, 2022 at 04:54 AM

Praying for your brother and family, Bill.

Bill L
January 1, 2022 at 04:47 AM

Ken, using your surrender prayer. Thanks.