December 31, 2021
St. Sylvester In Jesus
Sights Set on Jesus
[John the Baptist] was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone…
John 1:8-9

John the Baptist had his sights set on Jesus. We learn through John’s voice and actions how deeply he sensed in his heart that Jesus was the divine light, God enfleshed in human form. Thus it was that John’s entire attention focused passionately on this relationship. At the same time, John remained humble in his calling and avoided thinking this was about making himself important.

As we come to the end of this year, why not take time to put ourselves in John’s sandals. How much of our heart have we set on Jesus? When were we especially aware of the relationship we have with this beloved Teacher? If some of our attention on this relationship strayed, what caused this drifting apart? Perhaps you could have a conversation with John the Baptist. Ask him how he managed to keep his heart burning brightly for the person he wanted everyone to know and love.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

1 John 2:18-21 • Psalm 96:1-2, 11-13 John 1:1-18

Comments

December 31, 2021 at 01:34 PM

But even though John the Baptist had a heart burning for Jesus he also faltered in his faith. In this new year may we pray all have great faith rather than doubt. Blessings to all.

December 31, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Thank you Sister Joyce for the great idea to have a conversation with John the Baptist to fan the flame in my heart to burn like his did/does!

December 31, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Thank you, Sr. Joyce. I pray all of us at Living Faith can continue to keep the light burning another year with our thoughts and prayers for one another. I have learned so much from everyone! A beautiful and blessed Happy New Year.

December 31, 2021 at 10:43 AM

Amen. :)

December 31, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Yes! Light - Grace - Truth! How blessed we are in this Living Faith Family to have each other for support, prayers and understanding! I woke up this morning thanking God for seeing me through yet, ANOTHER year of life! I keep thinking you can't teach an old dog new tricks...but God continues to surprise, and BLESS me with new awareness of His deep, inexhaustible love and mercy. And I love it when I "get it" - that I understand the readings, the reflections and the comments here...the Light comes on! All of God's Very Best Blessings to YOU All, and ALL Who You Love for a Light filled 2022!

December 31, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Sr. Joyce, I like your statement about having a conversation with John the Baptist. Ask him how he managed to keep his heart burning brightly for the person he wanted everyone to know and love. I think I have more of a pilot light in my heart. Thank You Happy New Year LFF

December 31, 2021 at 09:49 AM

December 31, 2021 at 07:05 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 31, 2021 at 01:49 AM

I love doing substitution method for mathematics! So let’s do one in today’s reading in John 1. *** John 1:14, “And the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father’s only Son, full of grace and truth.” (1) Jesus equals the Word (2) Jesus equals God’s only Son (3) Jesus equals Grace and Truth *** Let’s substitute these equations in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (1) In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God! (2) In the beginning was God’s only Son, and God’s only Son was with God, and God’s only Son was God! (3) In the beginning was Grace and Truth, and Grace and Truth was with God, and Grace and Truth was God! *** John 1:17b-18, “grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. The only-begotten Son, God, who is at the Father’s side, has revealed Him.” (1) Grace and Truth equals Jesus Christ (2) The only begotten Son equals Jesus Christ (3) Jesus Christ reveals and equals God the Father ******* John 14:7a, 9b, 10a, 11a, “If you really know Me, you will know My Father as well…anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father… Don’t you believe that I AM in the Father, and that the Father is in Me?… Believe Me when I say that I AM in the Father and the Father is in Me;” (1) If you know Jesus equals you know God the Father (2) If you have seen Jesus equals you have seen God the Father (3) Jesus is in God the Father and God the Father is in Jesus *** I love substitution method and Jesus is ultimate substitution of all times as He substituted for me paying for my sins on the cross!!!

Holly
December 31, 2021 at 09:59 AM

Amen! God bless you, and thank you for sharing your devotions with us. I am so thankful for LFF and the blessings I receive from the different perspectives of the authors and the people who comment. I wish everyone a happy, safe New Year's Eve.

Annette P
December 31, 2021 at 09:28 AM

Thank you Selena, Ken, and all the Living Faith Family that I have come to know and become close to due to this covid pandemic that started in March of 2020. Because it was harder to get the Living Faith booklet due to churches being closed, I came online to read the meditations and become friends with all of you here. We have prayed for each other's needs throughout these years and have walked in faith. Thank you so much for your support and love. May you ALL be blessed in the coming New Year!

Lia
December 31, 2021 at 08:27 AM

Amen! Thank you Salina :)

azmom
December 31, 2021 at 08:23 AM

Beautiful method of looking at Jesus and God the Father! Thank you, Salina, for this insightful look at one of the mysteries of our faith.