December 30, 2021
Sixth Day within the Octave of Christmas
Quiet Time
…they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth. The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favor of God was upon him.
Luke 2:39-40

With this story, we enter a quiet time in the life of the Lord. Jesus’ childhood is largely invisible to us, almost unaccounted for in Scripture. Yet we know from this passage that it was an active time, full of grace and growth. With the completion of the Solemnity of the Nativity of the Lord, we enter a quiet time in the liturgical year as well. Yet the season of Christmas is also an active time—one in which we savor the joy of the Incarnation. After the hubbub of the holidays, this season is an opportunity to continue to celebrate quietly. Let us use this time to reflect on the presence of Christ in our world and in our own hearts!

Lord Jesus, help me to grow in grace and wisdom during this holy season and to grow ever closer to you.

- Karla Manternach

1 John 2:12-17 • Psalm 96:7-10 Luke 2:36-40

Comments

December 30, 2021 at 10:35 AM

December 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM

Kevin and Karlen Uhde Respond to comment
December 30, 2021 at 10:27 AM

When I ponder the yet to be discovered recorded years, I enjoy imagining what Jesus’ favorites Music, Foods, Stories, Sounds, Smells, Expressions, Clothes, Hobbies were. I ask my grandchildren what they think Jesus’ favorites were. It’s a way we pray and laugh together. I remind them and myself we are made in His image and likeness.

Christine
December 30, 2021 at 06:06 PM

How beautiful!

Bill L
December 30, 2021 at 04:58 PM

Great reflection, Kevin and Karlen. I enjoy seeing some of the Christian comics depicting The Holy Family's life. Not much different than what we did growing up.

December 30, 2021 at 12:05 PM

:-) Love the imagination... I imagine Jesus smiling and rolling His eyes :-) ????

December 30, 2021 at 08:34 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 30, 2021 at 08:32 AM

Thank you Karla for mentioning the quiet time of Jesus’s childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. How much we don’t know about this time period - His schooling, his friends, his family interactions. So much to ponder during our quiet time. Continued prayers for the passing of this pandemic. Lifting all first responders.

December 30, 2021 at 07:44 AM

How do I grow and become strong, filled with wisdom; and the favor of God is upon me as Jesus did in Luke 2:40? *** 1 John 2:15, “Do not love the world or the things of the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” What is the world or the things of the world? *** 1 John 2:16, “For all that is in the world, (1) sensual lust, (2) enticement for the eyes, and (3) a pretentious life, is not from the Father but is from the world.” What am I supposed to do then? *** 1 John 2:17b, “whoever does the will of God remains forever.” ******* How do I not love the world or the things of the world? *** John 14:6-7, “Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really know Me, you will know My Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him.” So what? *** Children, fathers and young men, “your sins have been forgiven… you know Him (Jesus)… you have conquered the Evil One!” How? *** Because for Jesus Name sake, you know the Father…Because Jesus is from the beginning… Because you are strong and the Word of God remains in you!” ******* Knowing the Word of God is to know Jesus; knowing Jesus is to know the will of God! Come What May by We Are Messengers https://youtu.be/6gFFvqM1-kY

Angela Harrigan Respond to comment