December 28, 2021
The Holy Innocents
The Cross Amid Christmas
Broken was the snare,
and we were freed.
Psalm 124:7

The apparent irony of it can never fail to strike us, I think—the memory of this terrible day, the slaughter of innocents—following almost immediately after the joyous celebration of the Nativity.

It’s a reminder of many truths: that the life of the Christian is a journey to the Cross, of the depth and gravity of the sin that Jesus came to save the world from. All of these can be unpacked theologically at great length.

But I think it’s also a reminder of something simpler: Life continues to be difficult here on earth. It’s even difficult during this Christmas season, and sometimes even because of it, as we look to the Child in the midst of loss, disappointment, loneliness, questions and grief.

And right there, in all of that, he sees our tears, hears our weeping. And somehow, in his own time, he does, indeed, rescue us.

Loving God, I pray for those in pain and suffering

- Amy Welborn

1 John 1:5—2:2 • Psalm 124:2-5, 7-8 Matthew 2:13-18

Comments

December 28, 2021 at 05:06 PM

The story of The Holy Innocents always reminds me of the tragedy of the Amish community in Oct. 2006 when a gunman took the lives of 5 innocent Amish schoolgirls. The Amish community not only forgave the shooter but consoled his wife and went to the funeral. They even helped support her and her three children. Thank you, Amy. God truly does rescue us.

Bill L
December 28, 2021 at 05:10 PM

Thanks, Ken. You are an ongoing inspiration to us all. Adding Holly to my list along with the Surrender Novena. My prayers to all in need as we soon close out 2021.

December 28, 2021 at 03:53 PM

Life is really a miracle. The only way you can have discernment that it IS A MIRACLE; fearing & loving God. Seeking HIM by PRAYER IN HIS SON JESUS NAME, slow down & look around & ask yourself this question: Do I really know how life came to be? Do I really exactly know how I was created in my mother's womb? Yes, today, we understand a lot of things about birth & can save babies through modern medicine. However, can you just make a baby with your knowledge or hands? No, you cannot. Can you just create oxygen with your hands? Can you create sunshine? So.....everyone needs to pause & reflect that without these things you would not exist. Also, because of the true miraculous gift of life abortion is very wrong. For all those people who believe abortion is ok yes, you have that right; cause God gave you free will. But is my free will always right? No, its impossible for my free will to always be right, cause I'm a sinner only saved by God's grace. Was life given to you? Of course it was or you would not even be breathing right now. So, is it right to kill innocent babies just because I feel it will interfere with my goals for life? As you TAKE YOUR NEXT BREATH ask yourself exactly how am I taking this breath? I hope you will come to the conclusion....abortion is wrong.

December 28, 2021 at 02:08 PM

The slaughtering of innocence just says it all about our broken ????, depraved world, and how God sends Jesus as a vulnerable, dependent baby to restore humanity. Jesus we need you now more than ever. Please help us to recognize you, make room in our hearts for you, and follow you as prescribed, our one true king.

December 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM

I never considered Jesus as an advocate but it blindsided me that I did not. Dying on the cross surely made Jesus an advocate for me. Thank you all for opening my eyes (and mind and heart) in my spiritual journey. Prayers for all.

December 28, 2021 at 09:10 AM

Yes, during these hard times, the Psalmist knew the answer to all of it in Psalm 124:8, “Our help is in the Name of the LORD, Who (Jesus) made heaven and earth.“ *** Is there anything (good, bad or ugly) we went through, are going through and will go through that God did not, does not and will not know? NOTHING!!! He knew way before in Matthew 2:17-18, “Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiah the prophet: A voice was heard in Ramah, sobbing and loud lamentation; Rachel weeping for her children, and she would not be consoled, since they were no more.” God is omniscient! *** What does “Advocate” mean in 1 John 2:1b, “ But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one.” “ Advocate - Gr. parakletos), one who pleads another's cause, who helps another by defending or comforting him. It is a name given by Christ three times to the Holy Ghost ( John 14:16 ; 15:26 ; 16:7 , where the Greek word is rendered "Comforter," q.v.). It is applied to Christ in 1 John 2:1 , where the same Greek word is rendered "Advocate," the rendering which it should have in all the places where it occurs.” Jesus pleads for us, helps us and comforts us when we pray/ask in Jesus Name!!’ https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/advocate/ *** Who do you go to pleading for you? I go to Jesus and when I don’t know what to say, I go to the Holy Spirit! 1 Timothy 2:5, “ For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,” Romans 8:26-27, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And He Who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.” That’s why I pray, “In Jesus’ Name I pray and in agreement with the Holy Spirit!” ******* There is no one Who can intercede for me better than Jesus and the Holy Spirit :-) Yes, I ask you, the LLFamily and my sisters/brothers in Christ to pray for me, but these faithful servants are not there when I am alone and didn’t know what to say and do in dire situations! Jesus told us how and whom to pray in Matthew 18:19-20, “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in My Name, there am I with them.” So when I pray with and in agreement with the Holy Spirit, there are the two of us praying in the Name of Jesus, Jesus is there interceding for me! So when I pray to God the Father, there are always the three of us :-) Jesus, the Holy Spirit and me!

Bonnie L
December 28, 2021 at 10:03 AM

Amen Salina! Thank you for your comment. I love all your comment contributions to Living Faith. As well as so many others here Kjc, Tim, Patrick and so many more. May God Bless you and your family and everyone here at Living Faith. “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!”

Margaret Robertson Respond to comment
December 28, 2021 at 08:55 AM

This Feast of the Holy Innocents always reminds me of the millions of babies who have died in abortions here, and all over the world. Let’s pray that the Supreme Court will, at least, hand back this decision to the states. That way people will have a choice in deciding whether their state will allow it or not. Until our country reverses Roe V Wade, we will continue to be a country in rapid decline. Let us all pray for the right decision by the court.

GHH
December 28, 2021 at 10:24 AM

Lord, let us love our neighbors without judgment. Help me in my weakness. I want to love like you. Thank you, Ken, for the Jesus Novena. It WORKS. Amen and amen!

December 28, 2021 at 08:49 AM

Thank you Amy for writing this. It is hard to imagine the horror of the Holy Innocents. I think of the throngs of angels there immediately lifting the innocents into the light. I believe we are called during this season to lift those to the light that don’t or can’t feel it. Robert, yes…so many who are suffering during a time of joy. They need the angels to touch them and lift them for even a moment from their sadness and turmoil. Ken, we will pray for Holly, too, as spinal injuries are an ongoing trauma to our bodies. Praying for all those who feel lost, who are alone and those first responders and medical workers who are ministering in the next raging COVID surge.

December 28, 2021 at 07:59 AM

December 28, 2021 at 05:04 AM

Yes.... even during this most blessed and holy time. There are those who are in great need, suffering and loss. Let us not forget them. Pray for all those who are not having a Merry Chrismas. Their pain and troubles should be remembered, ask God to give them relief.

Donna
December 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM

Prayers for your departed wife. I lost my son tragically on 14 December, my 60th birthday. He was a wonderful young man suffering with issues related to his diabetes. Keeping it together for my two other sons was difficult but my husband and I needed to remember that we all lost a loved one this Christmas season.

December 28, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Robert I agree with you, many people have loved ones who are departed or separated from them during the season. This is the 3rd Christmas we have been without my wife and the children's mother. Yesterday we celebrated a children's Christmas presents were exchanged and it was a great time. When I got home I was feeling sad, but could picture Kathy sitting right by enjoying the night. Please keep my friend Holly in your prayers she is recovering from a serious car accident that damaged her spine Bill L I appreciate that you keep a littany of people in your prayers at night . Surrender Novena Jesus, I surrender myself to you, take care of everything! (Say 10 times) Living faith family I will pray for you guys at Mass this morning. I am so grateful to have you in my life. Ken