December 27, 2021
St. John
God Continues to Act
They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we do not know where they put him.
John 20:2

I can picture Peter, Mary Magdalene and the unnamed disciple at the tomb looking astonished. These are the most faithful disciples, firsthand witnesses of Jesus’ miracles on many occasions. He cured the lame, gave sight to the blind, raised Lazarus from the dead. I don’t doubt Jesus performed more miracles than we read about in the Gospels. Time and again, Jesus continued to surprise those who recognized him as the Son of God. He even told them that he would be killed and will rise on the third day.

We can hardly fault them for being astonished. Think of how many times we have been pleasantly surprised by the answer to prayer. Even with a vigorous faith and strong conviction in the truth of the Gospel, we are constantly in awe of how God continues to act in our lives, blessing us abundantly in amazing ways.

- Deborah Meister

1 John 1:1-4 • Psalm 97:1-2, 5-6, 11-12 John 20:1a, 2-8

Comments

December 29, 2021 at 07:55 PM

Reading the comments on this reflection today, I felt waves of gratitude for all the Living Faith readers. Your comments, your trust in the God, and the deep faith that you share here inspire me always. May God continue to bless you abundantly.

December 27, 2021 at 05:21 PM

Sid & Lamar, you and your families with both be included in my rosary prayers tonight. Remember, to those in need, that we can never say too many prayers!

December 27, 2021 at 02:22 PM

I know that Prayer is very powerful, I have been fasting over 2 months now, brothers and sisters please pray over my two sons and I, in two months the enemy, a judge, my ex and others have through lies and corruption kept me away from my two sons during custody case, my two sons are innocent and I know are very hurt by this because they told their mother they did not want to live with her and now she has gone to these extremes and forced them to do so. It has been very very hard on me but I am waiting on the Lord for a miracle, just like when he parted the red sea for moses and his people. Thank you everyone

Jane
December 28, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Lamar, praying for “just” resolution to your situation. Sending courage and strength for the days ahead.

December 27, 2021 at 11:35 PM

Lamar I am reading this request late but I will pray for you and your children right now. Stay strong and keep praying. Ken

December 27, 2021 at 03:41 PM

Lamar, I am so sorry you and your family are going through such painful process :-( You hang in there and love them and your enemies the way that God loves you! I had been where you are. My husband actually took our 2 daughters out of state that I couldn't see them before he filed for divorce 20 years ago. Looking back, God knew what He was doing. He drew me to Himself, so I could be a daughter of the King, a better mom and wife! So be prayerful, be thankful and be kind, He will make your path straight even when you don't understand it (Proverbs 3:5-6) One word of advice, don't put the children in the middle even when she does! Here is my life verse from that time in Isaiah 40:31, "but those who (Larma) hope in the Lord will renew their (his) strength. They (he) will soar on wings like eagles; they (he) wiill run and not grow weary, they (he) will walk and not be faint." Amen!

December 27, 2021 at 12:56 PM

I love how John addressed himself in the Gospel of John as, "the disciple whom Jesus loved!" I was telling my daughter, Jessi, yesterday that I am the disciple whom Jesus favors :-) She agreed! *** How about you? You are the disciple whom Jesus..... fill in the blank! *** Why do you think John stopped at the entrance of the tomb? Whatever John was thinking when stopping at the entrance of the tomb gave him the sight to see and believed once he entered the tomb in John 20:8, "Then the other disciple also went in, the one who had arrived at the tomb first, and he saw and believed!" *** What happened? At this point,John finally understood what Jesus had been telling them in John 20:9, "For they did not yet understand the scripture that He (Jesus) had to rise from the dead." ******* Do I understand what Jesus is telling me in Scripture? Yes, many times I stop and think "Now I understand after the many times You told me: I believe and help my unbelief, my Lord and my God! "

December 27, 2021 at 12:54 PM

December 27, 2021 at 10:57 AM

December 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM

I believe in the power of prayer. Please pray for my son and grandson who are dealing with depression and anxiety.

Jane
December 28, 2021 at 08:38 AM

Sid, we are lifting them all to the light, which can surround them in peace. May they find serenity.

December 27, 2021 at 01:09 PM

Praying for the 3 generations of you, Sid, your son and your grandson, that God's love overwhelms y'all like a security blanket! 1 John 4:16, 18, "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them....There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. "

December 27, 2021 at 11:34 AM

Sid I will pray for you and your son and grandson right now. Ask the holy spirit to help them. Praying Ken

Mike E
December 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Offering prayers for your son and grandsons health.

December 27, 2021 at 09:27 AM

Amen

December 27, 2021 at 09:22 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 27, 2021 at 09:14 AM

I ordered two subscriptions today to Living Faith, one for me and one for my mom, who lives 900 miles away from me. Over the years, I’ve got such tremendous strength and courage and wisdom from this little publication and I thought it was time for me to enter it into my life again.

Jane
December 28, 2021 at 08:36 AM

That’s great David! I gift it to several people!

December 27, 2021 at 08:15 AM

Thank you Deborah for the reflection. What is striking me in the readings is that the disciples are probably just reeling and trying to figure out…oh my goodness, what is next??? Everything they think is happening is turned on its head. One day I’m a fisherman and the next, I’m a follower of this amazing man - watching him cure blindness, lameness and then raise someone from the dead! He’s amazing and changing the world. Then there was all this trouble! I still can’t believe they killed him and now they stole the body! What in the world! What next? All is slowly being revealed, and slowly being absorbed and even more slowly being believed. Sometimes the most surprised reactions come after the fact when we are looking back on something that happened and say…”Oh yes, that happened! Amazing”

December 27, 2021 at 08:05 AM

Amen. May we continue to see miracles of God everyday. We need his help each day in this weary world these days.

December 27, 2021 at 08:34 AM

Yes Stormy need to hear and help each other. It might be a phone call or a smile as we pass someone on the street. Jane I looking back and realize that the living faith family is amazing. You guys are always around to help each other. I am thankful for being a part of this family. Please keep the essential workers and their families in your prayers. Please keep yourselves safe and keep up the good work and encouragement that you people provide. Ken