December 24, 2021
Late Advent Weekday
Ready for Christmas?
Blessed be the Lord…
for he has come to his people and set them free.
Luke 1:67

Tomorrow is Christmas. We typically have many plans about what we want to do to prepare, both spiritually and for the holiday. Many times, our great plans are not fully realized. We may not feel ready.

No matter. Christmas is not about what we do. It is about what God has done. God knew that we could not save ourselves. So, God sent us Jesus.

What matters most this day is not what we do. Rather, we ought simply to go to the manger and give thanks for what God has done. Kneeling before the Christ Child, in the blessed company of Mary and Joseph, we adore him.

- Msgr. Stephen Rossetti

2 Samuel 7:1-5, 8b-12, 14a, 16 • Psalm 89:2-5, 27, 29 Luke 1:67-79

Comments

December 25, 2021 at 09:39 AM

Thank you Msgr Stephen. “ What matters most this day is not what we do. Rather, we ought simply to go to the manger and give thanks for what God has done. ” That needs to be front and center in all our scurrying about over the next few days. Holy Christmas one and all!

December 24, 2021 at 03:01 PM

Amen. Beautiful reflection and comments. Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2021 at 02:48 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Living Faith Family!

December 24, 2021 at 01:46 PM

Indeed, Msgr Stephen, "Christmas is not about what we do. It is about what God has done!" *** In today's first reading of 2 Sameul 7, I see God emphasizes the same points in response to David wanting to do something for God: Nine past tense "I"s and thirteen future tense "I will"s. God was telling David and counting all the things He has done and all the things He will do! So yup, it is never about what we do for God but what God has done, is doing and will do...in us, through us and for us! *** So I learn from Mary (Luke 1:46-55) and Zachariah (Luke 1:67-79), their songs of praise of God...They are all about what God has done, is doing and will do for His people :-) *** Same with the Psalmist in Psalm 89 - It is all about what GOd has done, is doing and will do for His people! ******* Yes, Lord Jesus! You were there when the world was made! You were there when the world fell into sin! You were there when Hope came into the world! You were there when sin and death were defeated! You will be there when the world falls apart! You will be there when viruses continue to mutate and attack and be defeated! You will be there when I come home to you! You will be there when my girls walk with You! You are here with us during our good, bad and ugly times, Emmanuel, God with us! Love You, Jesus! Happy and Blessed Birthday :-) *** Promises by Maverick City Music https://youtu.be/q5m09rqOoxE https://youtu.be/bhFwh_59H2c

December 24, 2021 at 11:39 AM

Amen. Lord, bless my LF family on this Christmas Eve. :)

December 24, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Joanne I will pray for you and your husband right now. Living faith family went to Mass parking lot was packed, funeral services for one of our parishioners, didn't know her but decided to stay. Very touching and I was tearing throughout the ceremony. Living faith family please keep praying for the people who are suffering this Christmas season. Living faith family, I am so grateful and happy to have the opportunity know and be strengthen by all of you have a blessed and safe Christmas. Ken

Shelley J Gorenz Respond to comment
December 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM

I find such wisdom and solace in these readings. Thanks for the simple yet profound message today

December 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM

Heavenly Father, we give thanks for your coming to us in Jesus. We bless you; we adore you; we give you thanks. Thank you Msgr. Stephen for this beautiful prayer. I will say this prayer all day as I scurry around preparing a feast for the birth of our Lord. A beautiful and blessed Christmas Eve to the LF family.

December 24, 2021 at 09:40 AM

" Outlive your life." Wow, Ken thank you...that is resonating with me this morning . Thanks to you and all the Living Faith family for all your support over the last few years. May you all have a Blessed Christmas and a glorious New Year!

December 24, 2021 at 08:22 AM

Great advice, Msgr. Keep it simple and give thanks to our great God. Amen!

December 24, 2021 at 07:11 AM

Merry Christmas, let us rejoice.

December 24, 2021 at 04:58 AM

Humbled, blessed, and forgiven. Merry Christmas one and all.

December 24, 2021 at 04:40 AM

It is now Christmas Eve on the West Coast. I wish you all a beautiful day preparing for the coming of our Lord Jesus. My prayers are with you all. I leave you with this passage from my 'Little Blue Book'. ------ Every Christmas is different. The feast is the same and so are the Christmas carols and the other customs. But all of this comes into lives that have not stood still since last Christmas. Some have experienced the death of someone very close, and this will be the first Christmas without that person. Some have experienced a birth in the family, and this will be the child's first Christmas. Some have moved to a new home or to a new city, and this Christmas will include new neighbors and new friends. Some are without a job and wonder what to do. Even though our lives are different, the memories of Christmas in the past come back each year and are added to the meaning of the feast. We remember how it was when the family was young or when our mother was still living, or when times were better, or when times were worse. All of this, the past and the present, is poured into our Christmas. And that is fitting, because Christmas is a time when we celebrate a God who became part of all of human life. by Cardinal John F. Dearden (Excerpts from the Little Blue Book by Bishop Ken Untener)

Jane
December 25, 2021 at 09:36 AM

Bill, thanks for sharing this. It’s so very true. Every Christmas the same, yet different. All a new experience with each passing year, all rolling into the tradition. Joy of the newborn King to all of you.

Marko
December 24, 2021 at 09:04 AM

I am praying for you this morning Joann that you and your husband will experience God's spiritual, mental, and physical graces in abundance. He is able and nothing is impossible for God!

Katj
December 24, 2021 at 09:01 AM

I love the Little Blue Book! Thank you for sharing Bill! Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

Joann
December 24, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Beautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing. I have experienced several events this past year. My husband losing his job early in the year and taking classes and starting a new career. Myself starting a new job after losing mine last December. The birth of our great nephew on my husbands side of the family who is going to be our Godson and God calling both my Uncle and my Mom (brother and sister )home.

December 24, 2021 at 08:32 AM

Bill l As always I enjoy your reflections and the ones that you share. Living faith family I am praying for you guys this morning at Mass. I also want to share this from some of the reading I do in the morning. Western new York has a white Christmas eve so far. Heavenly Father every breath is a gift from your hands. Even so, I confess that sometimes my own hand remains tightly closed when I encounter the needs of others. Please open both my hand and my heart that I might learn to open my door to others. As you help me open my heart and hand, O Lord, I ask you that you also prompt me to open my life to those who need a taste of your love and bounty. In Jesus name I pray amen. Max Lucado "outlive your life Ken

JimR
December 24, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Thanks for sharing this reflection. So true to ponder what God has done in our lives. Merry Christmas!