December 23, 2021
St. John of Kanty
Bless God for His Miracles
Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God.
Luke 1:64

Today’s Gospel continues the story of the birth of John the Baptist. Once John (“gift of God)” was named, Zechariah’s speech was restored, and he blessed God. Others came to believe and to discover the miracles, the blessings and gifts of God in their own lives.

So, too, with us. Miracles may come to us in both the small moments of life and in the big events. But we need eyes to see and our hearts to accept that they are real and witness to the power and love of God in our lives. Then we bless God and tell others what God has done for us. Convinced that God’s love is all around us and walks the streets in our neighborhoods, let us commemorate the divine splashes of grace in our lives, in our everyday miracles.

O God, open my eyes and heart to bless you for the countless miracles in my life

- Sr. Bridget Haase O.S.U.

Malachi 3:1-4, 23-24 • Psalm 25:4-5, 8-10, 14 Luke 1:57-66

Comments

December 23, 2021 at 06:49 PM

Thank you God, for my miracle today. Thank you for hearing my prayers. Thank you for answering them. Thank you for giving me faith. Thank you for staying with me during this hard time. Thank you for lending me your strength. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you Lord, for everything.

December 23, 2021 at 10:59 PM

All glory and honor are Yours, Lord Jesus, forever and ever, Amen! Psalm 118:21, “I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, and have became my Salvation!”

December 23, 2021 at 11:02 AM

Amen! God's glory is all around us, if we just open our eyes to Him!

December 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Why did Zachariah lose his speech in the first place? *** Zachariah and Elizabeth were both righteous in Luke 1:6, "Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly." *** The angel of the Lord appeared to Zechariah and announced the birth of John the Baptist in Luke 1:13, "But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zechariah, because your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall name him John." *** But Zachariah did not believe in Luke 1:20, "But now you will be speechless and unable to talk until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled at their proper time." ******* The angel of the Lord came to both Zachariah and Mary to announce the births of John and Jesus, but Zachariah became speechless? *** Do you believe what God said in His Word (Scripture)? *** Do you know what He said in His Word (Scripture)? *** Sometimes I am speechless because I am ovewhelmed with His Word in disbelief... * John 3:16-17, "For this is how God loved the world: He gave His One and only Son (Jesus), so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent His Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through Him!" * Romans 5:8-9, "But God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, He will certainly save us from God’s condemnation." * Ephesians 2:8-9, "God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." ******* This Christmas, we remember the miracle of the virgin birth of Jesus which led to the ultimate miracle of Salvation availbale to all: Not that when I believed but that I believed!!! Praise You, Lord Jesus Christ, Who reigns forever and ever, Amen :-)

December 23, 2021 at 10:24 AM

What I’ve always found amazing in today’s gospel passage is Zachariah didn’t argue with Elizabeth over what, at the time, was a major deal. He agreed for the child to be named not after him but John, and just reveled in the happiness of the blessing. Sometimes we are asked to accept a blessing with conditions. Do I complain if things aren’t perfect? Do I rejoice in my everyday gifts even though they may not be how, where or exactly the way I want them. I believe this is the difference between truly happy people and those who envy others. By accepting our gifts the way they are and maybe with a condition or two, we open ourselves up to gifts only God would envision for us. May you all find many gifts this Christmas and accept them as God names them for you so they may grow into messengers of Christ throughout the year.

Patrick
December 23, 2021 at 02:13 PM

Amen

EM 1
December 23, 2021 at 10:32 AM

Amen. Beautifully stated! Prayers for all.

December 23, 2021 at 09:47 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. You will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 23, 2021 at 08:21 AM

Amen. :)

December 23, 2021 at 08:21 AM

Prayer for the souls in purgatory. Heaveanly Father, in the merits of Jesus and Mary, I offer to You for the sake of the poor souls all the satisfactory value of my works during life, as well as all that will be done for me after death. I give You my all through the hands of the Immaculate Virgin Mary that she may set free whatever souls she pleases, according to her heavenly wisdom and mother's love for them. Receive this offering, O God, and grant me in return an increase of Your grace. Amen. I love the mothers love part. Living faith family please have a blessed and safe Christmas. Don't forget the people who have no one to pray or care for them. The Lord has given us another beautiful sunrise. Praying for you guys right now Ken

CC
December 23, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Ken, thank you so much for the surrender novena prayer. What a gift.

john kuzmitsky Respond to comment
December 23, 2021 at 07:08 AM

Our son was healed from covid pneumonis. Bless God for our miracle.

Jane
December 23, 2021 at 10:52 AM

Definitely a miracle! Continued healing sent your way!

Gayle
December 23, 2021 at 09:23 AM

Katj
December 23, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Great news! Praise our Lord and Healer!

Joann
December 23, 2021 at 07:37 AM

Praise God

ROSE
December 23, 2021 at 07:12 AM

Praise God. THE ULTIMATE DOCTER AND HEALER

December 23, 2021 at 06:33 AM

St. Bridget, what will stay with me today is seeing the Divine splashes of grace. I pray to recognize those today. Continued prayers for those who are sick or isolated over the holidays and for a softening of those with anger in their hearts.

Mike E