December 22, 2021
Late Advent Weekday
God Remembers
…for he remembered his promise of mercy…
Luke 1:54

Have you ever had the misfortune of breaking a promise to a child? I don’t know anything more heartbreaking, though it’s hard to avoid sometimes. Today, so close to Bethlehem and the nativity of Christ, we rejoice to hear of one promise that is never broken, the promise God makes to his children.

In the Gospel, ringing down through history are the magnificent words of Mary, exulting in who God is and what God does. They resound backward through history too, as far back as humanity goes, for God has always promised mercy to his children. And, as Hannah and Mary both remind us today, he has always given it. He remembers and fulfills his promise. In the darkest, coldest, bleakest days, this is our hope. In the light of Christmas soon to break upon us, this is our faith.

Let our souls proclaim the greatness of the Lord.

- Mary Marrocco

1 Samuel 1:24-28 • 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8 Luke 1:46-56

Comments

December 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM

Amen! Thanks for prayers for my brother and his family. They were fevered for less than a day and my brother has continued to work from home. They're three hours from me so I was very relieved to hear that they're improving! Continued prayers for requests. God bless!

December 22, 2021 at 09:51 AM

Do I know God's promises to me? *** Have you ever felt like crying out to God because He is not listening? Here was Hannah's desperate cry to the Lord in 1 Samuel 1:10-11, "In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly. And she made a vow, saying, “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” *** Do you feel better after you cried out to God? Here was how Hannah reacted after her crying out to God in 1 Samuel 1:17-19a, "Eli answered, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of Him. She said, “May your servant find favor in Your eyes.” Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast. Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the Lord and then went back to their home at Ramah." *** Do you praise God after you cried out to God and before He answered your prayers? Hannah did and Mary did more than praising God! Mary remembered God, knew His promises and listed all the things He has done in Luke 1:50-55, "(1) He has mercy on those who fear Him in every generation. (2) He has shown the strength of His arm, and has scattered the proud in their conceit. (3) He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has lifted up the lowly. (4) He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty. (5) He has come to the help of His servant Israel for (6) He remembered His promise of mercy, (7) the promise He made to our fathers, to Abraham and His children for ever." ******* You have saved my life, my Lord and my God! Not that when I believed, but that I believed! The ultimate miracle and gift of Salvation for all who believed! Your long-suffering and patience with me are second to none! For it is by grace I have been saved, through faith—and this is not from myself, it is the gift of God—not by my works, so that no one can boast! You are not slow in keeping Your promises as I perceive, but You want everyone I love come to repentance and be saved! I love You because You first loved me while I was still a sinner! Your sacrifice on the cross to pay for my sins is the ultimate gift of all times! Your promises in Scripture are like a giant warehouse of gifts for me to discover and open during my life time on earth! Praise You, Lord Jesus Christ! Happy Birthday! I pray this Christmas is pleasing and honoring to You as You draw the soon-to-be-believers to Yourselves through the love of Your people during gatherings! Welcome those You call to Your party in heaven this holiday season! Protect us from any severe symptoms of any future variations of the virus either by our God created immune system in us and/or vaccines and/or therapeutics! In Jesus' powerful Name and in agreement with the Holy Spirit, I pray! Amen!

December 22, 2021 at 08:53 AM

Amen

December 22, 2021 at 08:03 AM

December 22, 2021 at 07:29 AM

Beautiful devotional. A reminder to us that God is always steadfast and true to his promises. We should strive to be the same.

December 22, 2021 at 07:20 AM

Amen. Thank you, Holy Father, for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you, Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 22, 2021 at 07:09 AM

Amen. Jesus, I trust in you!